Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 7:08 AM Last edited by PunkyBreester : 29th Oct 2012 at 9:12 PM.
Default Converting clothing to accessory - new issue
Hello all.

I'm trying to convert a jacket from an EA mesh to an accessory. I figured this would be possible, seeing several accessories out there such as smaller jackets, cloaks, etc.

However, its becoming increasingly obvious that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. After trying for many hours even to just get started, stumbling upon countless errors, and having to start over from scratch many times, I think I'm finally on the right path.

I decided to give up on Blender and have gone to Milkshape. I don't want to start a new thread for every little problem I run into, so hopefully this one doesn't get buried ^_^

My issue this time, is that my mesh looks perfectly fine in CTU, but gets all explodey in CAS:

I managed to find a similar issue in this thread, but I can't really follow what they're saying about it there. I'm assuming my problem also has to do with either bone assignments and/or morph states. However, I used an EA mesh and kept all of the bone assignments from it, and I haven't touched anything to do with morph states yet (I have a very specific use in mind for this project.. if and when I get it to work in the state I need it to be in, then I'll worry about making it share-friendly). So I've no idea how to go about diagnosing this issue, and even less of an idea on how to fix it

Sorry for asking such beginner's questions, but I tried to stay away from the "create new thread" and find my own way up to this point, and feel like I'm really stuck this time. Any help is immensely appreciated!

waiter, there's a conundrum in my soup
The Adom Legacy
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 9:31 AM
About all I can tell you is that there's no equivalent of comments in Blender. If you're starting from an EA jacket mesh you shouldn't need that step anyway. Also as far as I know there's no renumber function in Blender but you can renumber the base and morph meshes with Meshing Toolkit.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 8:51 PM Last edited by PunkyBreester : 16th Oct 2012 at 8:32 PM.
Great, thank you! I guess I'll just skip the comments and hope for the best ^_^

The Adom Legacy
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 9:16 PM
New issue, please see first post.

The Adom Legacy
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 9:25 PM
Does the distortion change when you move the fat/fit sliders? Which accessory did you clone to make this?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2012 at 9:57 PM Last edited by PunkyBreester : 30th Oct 2012 at 7:34 PM.
I cloned the basic gold ring. I wanted to use the armband but realized a lot of hats use the same slot, and I'd like to be able to have both a hat and the jacket. The distortion moves with the sliders, as if its supposed to look like that.. meaning, the pointy bits don't get more or less pointy or move to different areas, they just stay that way, though the overall shape changes the way you'd expect along with the slider.

Edit: I was wrong, the distortions don't move with the sliders, a fatter/more muscular sim will just clip through it more.

The Adom Legacy
Forum Resident
#7 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 12:29 AM
Could the problem be that you used an object without morphs as a clone? Did you make morphs? You can't just save those for later, it doesn't work that way. Everything has to match, exactly.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 4:37 AM
If I cloned an object that didn't have morphs, wouldn't that just mean that I don't need to make morphs? Can someone explain this a little better (or point me towards a tutorial/something that does)? I was imagining this would work like a really huge pair of earrings, or something; no morphs needed, unless/until I decide to re-do the whole thing for more versatile (sharing) purposes. I don't care about morphs for this right now, as long as it fits my own character.

I'm sorry if these are really basic or stupid questions & mistakes.

In the tutorial I've been trying to follow along with, there are steps for copying the comments from your base/clone onto your new mesh. I skipped this step as well as any changes to the bone assignments, since I started with an EA mesh, as Cmar stated above. Would either of those skipped steps have resulted in this kind of an error?

The Adom Legacy
Forum Resident
#9 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 6:16 PM
Is that how it looks straight away? Try renumbering the mesh with the meshtoolkit. It might be the comments, make sure your new mesh has the same comments as the ring.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 30th Oct 2012 at 7:42 PM Last edited by PunkyBreester : 1st Nov 2012 at 8:30 PM.
Yes, that's how it looks straight away, even in the CAS thumbnail (though, like I said, looks fine in CTU). TSRW won't load it, I get an "index was outside the array" error.

I tried your two suggestions, omegastarr82, with no difference in results. *shrug*

The Adom Legacy
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 5:53 PM
I know this is an old topic, but there is no straight answers online to this what I can see so I will just do it. Here's what you need to do in TSRW.

* Use a top as a referance for bones/morphs in Mesh toolkit
* Then go into making a new accessory.
* If you have WA, choose the huge overshoulder necklace. (If you don't have WA you can download an accessory jacket from someone online, import this into TSRW and replace the mesh/textures, this way you jacket is placed in the right category.)
* Import your mesh, press no then yes (the usual).
I recommend using loading an animations, too see that your jacket doesn't have any holes.

love Siv