Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2008 at 9:30 PM
Magazines or Books
Can I use SimPE to recolour a magazine or book or do I need something else?

Are there any turiotals about this, and if there isnt, can anyone give me a quick description of how to do it?

Im planning to make a highway code for my learner drivers!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 6:16 AM
To answer your question, it can. I don't know of any tutorials on how to do it, but I think there is one. Have you had a look in the recolouring tutorials forum? Here:
http://nene.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=535

The Sim Supply!

Call me PD :)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Nov 2008 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pokedude9777
To answer your question, it can. I don't know of any tutorials on how to do it, but I think there is one. Have you had a look in the recolouring tutorials forum? Here:
http://nene.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=535

Yes, Ive done a full search evreywhere for turiotals.

Can it be done on SimPE someone?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 1:14 AM
hmmm.... I recoloured a bookcase last night, and there is a separate subset for the books... I think if you just recolour that the books will use your textures on the bookcase but not on the books themselves(what I mean is that just looking at the bookcase the book will have your textures; but when the sim pulls the book out, the book will have maxis textures.) If making the book stay your colour when sims read it is what you're trying to do, then I don't think just recolouring the books will work.

The Sim Supply!

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 1:40 PM
You might want to take a look at this post from Plastic box

http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=284586

maybe download and see if the book itself changes appearance - I think it is also possible to find the homework and the book in SimPE in the unknown section...

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 7:23 PM
Hmmm on that post. katabear asked is their a turiotal for recolouring books.

(last page of comments)

and plasticbox replies

katabear, these are recolours of the bookcase, not of the book accessory. You probably need to look in the Game Mods section if that's what you want.

Now im just confused...

As that changes the book on the bookcase but its the same normal book when its outside. Maybe its not possible?

There is a gremlin inside of me.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 6:58 AM
I'm pretty sure it's possible. It may have to be a default replacement, as I think there may be just one file that contains bookcase data, but maybe not.

The Sim Supply!

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#8 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 10:15 PM
Hi Aston!

The problem you'll have with books and magazines is that, even if they are made to be recolourable, there's no way for you to *select* which recolour you want to use as you are playing, since they get created by other objects in the game. (There's no catalogue involved, so you can't pick the colour when you buy it)

You have a few possible options if you want to create a different look for the books:
- You make an override package. That means that you get a copy of the recolour files for the book, and change them, without changing the Type/Group/Instance numbers. That will completely replace the texture on all the objects in game which use that texture
- You make a clone of the book, and of the book case. You change the BHAVs in the book case to spawn your cloned book instead of the original book.
- You hack the book BHAVs so that it randomly selects the original colour, and randomly selects your colour. This would end up being an override too, effectively.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Dec 2008 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Hi Aston!

The problem you'll have with books and magazines is that, even if they are made to be recolourable, there's no way for you to *select* which recolour you want to use as you are playing, since they get created by other objects in the game. (There's no catalogue involved, so you can't pick the colour when you buy it)

You have a few possible options if you want to create a different look for the books:
- You make an override package. That means that you get a copy of the recolour files for the book, and change them, without changing the Type/Group/Instance numbers. That will completely replace the texture on all the objects in game which use that texture
- You make a clone of the book, and of the book case. You change the BHAVs in the book case to spawn your cloned book instead of the original book.
- You hack the book BHAVs so that it randomly selects the original colour, and randomly selects your colour. This would end up being an override too, effectively.

Thank You Il give it a go. (Hopefully I wont mess the whole game up!)

There is a gremlin inside of me.
Alchemist
#10 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 7:05 AM
I just saw mention on a thread here, that you can use the design tool to choose a recolour
Quote:
You can recolour books that are held by Sims, by just using the "recolour" tool in the buy/build mode.

Does anyone confirm this? That particular recolour apparently doesn't work properly with BV or FT.

I was wanting to make custom covers for my sims' novels, but maybe it's too much to ask. Can't find any info about doing that.