Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2015 at 9:46 PM
Default Suggestions, please.
I wanted to send to college the six descendants of Jonathan Tricou, but could not recognise all six of their faces. Their names are different every time, of course, so that is no guide. Five of them I recognised, and sent them to Contrary House, a dorm with six rooms. As soon as the first Tricou stepped out of the taxi I was able to check the name of the sixth relation, but could not save and go back for him until the fifth Tricou had stepped out of the taxi. Meanwhile, a townie called Ethan strolled in and claimed one of the rooms.

I know there are fifty ways to leave your lover, but how many ways are there to evict a troublesome townie? Each time one of the Tricous leaves the dorm and returns, a notice pops up: Looks like there are not enough rooms, but don't worry - the townie will clear one for you. This is not true; the townie is still in stolid possession. To be fair, he has not locked his door, so my sim can still use the bed and en suite bathroom; but I'd love to be rid of the nuisance.

All suggestions, however gory, will be gratefully considered.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 28th May 2015 at 10:07 PM
Kill off the Townie.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 28th May 2015 at 10:24 PM
I always just make the dormie selectable, have him/her unclaim the door, then send my sim over to claim and lock the door. Then make the (now ex) dormie unselectable and have my sim say good-bye to him/her.
Works like a charm for me. :D
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th May 2015 at 10:25 PM
Move in the last Tricou. The dormie will move out to make room for him.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th May 2015 at 10:28 PM
I hope that he is a dormie not a townie, if he is indeed a townie you have a serious issue. The normal way uni works is you bring in a playable and a dormie leaves. If that isn't happening you have some glitch.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 28th May 2015 at 10:32 PM
Did cheeky townie unclaimed room? Did your sim claim the room? The former dormie may still remain in the dorm for a while, unless a playable sim says goodbye to him/her.

Or: Move your students altogether in another dorm.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th May 2015 at 11:37 PM
The dormie should leave when you move your Tricou in. Some dormies take a bit longer to realise they have to leave - one of my students slept on a bed in a passage once until the dormie left. If it is a question of you don't want him there at all, move your Sims out and move them in another dorm (after moving the last Tricou in), It helps if you have a copy of your dorm in the lot bin.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th May 2015 at 11:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I hope that he is a dormie not a townie, if he is indeed a townie you have a serious issue. The normal way uni works is you bring in a playable and a dormie leaves. If that isn't happening you have some glitch.

'Townie' was the word used in the pop-up that assured me he would leave. You're right, I have a glitch. This has often happened before, that the non-playable will not leave to make room for a playable. Don't know how to set about finding the glitch.

It's annoying to have the room blacked out until my playable sim is actually standing beside the bed. I do have a copy of Contrary House, my favourite dorm. Each of the six upstairs rooms has an en-suite bathroom, which saves me the trouble of finding facilities for each student for the morning shower or afternoon bubble bath. I might indeed move out all the playables, bulldoze the dorm, and replace it. I wonder whether Ethan will try to come skidding back in?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th May 2015 at 11:13 AM
The dormie's failure to leave is probably caused by bad CC, sounds like it's time for a 50/50 search.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th May 2015 at 11:17 AM
Dormies sometimes take longer to leave in my experience - but it does interfere with play, so I'd go for moving them into another dorm after adding the last Tricou to the family. In my game the word popping up is always 'townie' and it refers to dormies moving in uninvited.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th May 2015 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shuttlegrannyjo
I always just make the dormie selectable, have him/her unclaim the door, then send my sim over to claim and lock the door. Then make the (now ex) dormie unselectable and have my sim say good-bye to him/her.
Works like a charm for me. :D

That was the first thing I did: used the simblender to make Ethan selectable, and then pointed to the room door. No Options Available. There is a very limited selection of commands you can give a newly-selected sim. Suggesting that he is hungry and might like to eat is nearly always successful. Directing him to the loo also works, but not to the bath. Strangely enough, pointing out that the cowplant is offering cake is also successful; but suggesting he might drop out of college will not work. I wonder what the guidelines are?
Forum Resident
#12 Old 29th May 2015 at 3:51 PM
At this point, Ethan seems so tenacious that I almost feel bad for the guy. I mean, he just wants a college education! Is that so much to ask? Do you have any idea how hard he worked to get this far?! Although he kind of messed up your original idea, maybe he just deserves to become a playable at this point. I like to take this kind of thing in stride and incorporate it into my game.

That said, it sounds like things are kind of messed up with your game if he won't leave, and you should probably do that 50/50 search. Sorry this is frustrating you. I hope you figure things out soon!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 29th May 2015 at 4:02 PM
I've had this problem a couple times but making the dormie selectable and having them unclaim the door always worked for me. Try deleting the door and placing a new one. You'll probably need the 'boolprop dormspecifictoolsdisabled false' and 'moveobjects on' to do it. And, of course, back-up your neighborhood first!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 29th May 2015 at 4:57 PM
Actually, if I remember right, Maxis does use the word "townie" in the pop-up, and I can't remember a single time when they used the word "dormie". In fact, I used to refer to them as "college townies" until I heard people using the word "dormie" online.

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th May 2015 at 5:19 PM
This sometimes happens to me, and moving out and in the affected students seems to fix it. It can be caused by making a dormie selectable or moving a sim in in a non-standard way.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th May 2015 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Best_Leopard
At this point, Ethan seems so tenacious that I almost feel bad for the guy. I mean, he just wants a college education! Is that so much to ask? Do you have any idea how hard he worked to get this far?! Although he kind of messed up your original idea, maybe he just deserves to become a playable at this point. I like to take this kind of thing in stride and incorporate it into my game.

Actually, I agree with you. While he was selected, I noticed that he was quite a nice guy, friendly but modest, reasonably good looking. Mostly he just sits reading in the library, with occasional forays into his bathroom. He's no trouble. Perhaps I'll get over to the Greek house, and get someone to pledge him. It may take a few generations, but this sim will live!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th May 2015 at 6:00 AM
Well, is that not typical of the uninvited Sim - being so damn likable that you have to keep him around!