Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 4:56 PM
Default Borked Sim?
Hey guys! My sim was trying to bond with this llama mascot, Royce McDonald. The problem was that he's so glitchy! When she asked him "What do you want?", the want notification was blank and the picture in his speech bubble was a squiggly line made of smooshed up icons of different interests. He had at least one turn-on, but when I asked about his turn off, the speech bubble was blank except for a red X. I don't know whether he just has incomplete character data and is one of the sims that's unsafe to play as in game or what, so I banned him from my lot and made their relationship negative. A sim like that isn't worth risking my favorite neighborhood. Would it be safe to make him selectable and reset his wants and turn ons/turn offs? He's just a llama mascot, he has a proper name, and he has all the normal interactions, so it's not like he's an object NPC or a Social Worker.

Also, before playing that household, I ran Hoodchecker on my hood and had it "fix" errors. I think there were some corrupt wants listed in Hoodchecker but I can't remember if his name showed up and I don't have a log file. I ran Hoodchecker after playing and nothing related to his name showed up.

Advice?

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 5:15 PM
I would look at him in SimPE. A llama mascot normally is just a normal NPC, with a set of hard-coded behaviors. Turn-ons, turn-offs, wants, and so on should be randomized like those of any townie. If he has all character data in SimPE, he's safe enough. You can change his turn-ons if you want and making him selectable to reset his wants would probably be all right.

Squiggly lines means there's a problem accessing an icon. There's a number of possible reasons for that.

Right before you run hoodchecker is always a good time to make a backup, and I hope you did, so if he does have missing data you'll have a recent one to revert to.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 5:21 PM
Two days ago I backed up, then ran Hoodchecker. Since then I have had sims get married and have kids and all. I hope I don't have to revert to that one. I backed up last night before I ran Hoodchecker but that was after the fiasco with Royce happened. Is there any way to fix him in Simpe? Do you think making him selectable and using Sim Blender to change his aspiration and turn ons and turn offs, and to reroll his wants will help? Or will it do more harm than good? Thank you.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 5:27 PM
SimPE and Simblender do many of the same things; it's just that in SimPE you can actually cruise through the data and see what is and isn't there. If he has all character data, he should be more or less okay and it won't matter if his aspirations, turn-ons, and so on are fixed with which editing tool.

I don't know whether SimBlender can tell you whether character data are missing; I know SimPE can.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 8:15 PM Last edited by AmandieLove : 13th Jun 2015 at 8:32 PM.
Thanks again. I am loading the hood in SimPE now. Will update when I figure out what's wrong with this dude.

EDIT 1: Royce seems openable in SimPE. He doesn't show up as "unlinked" or "no character data." He is a fortune sim so lack of aspiration isn't the problem. I checked the Turn Ons/Turn Offs under the Nightlife tab. Nothing shows up in either box, but I've never looked there before. So, I don't know if that's normal. I'm opening his wants and fears now. When I get done with that I will open a normal playable and look at their "nightlife" tab.

His wants and fears opened. He appears to have all 4 wants and all 3 fears. "Meet $Neighbor" is just a technical way of saying "Meet someone new", right? If that's not the case then that would be the only thing I see wrong with his character file.

EDIT 2: Just opened 2 playable's Nightlife tabs, and they both appeared the same way as Royce's Nightlife tab. So I know that is normal. I think I will make him selectable and fix him with Sim Blender. With Sim Blender I actually know what I'm doing. Thank you!

Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Jun 2015 at 6:42 PM
I find mascots a little glitchy. I couldn't get one to join my Greek house.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jun 2015 at 7:28 PM
Last night I made Royce selectable. Nothing crashed. His aspiration, turn ons/turn offs, wants, and fears were all there! So I have no idea what was wrong.

@simsfreq thanks for the heads up on mascots being glitchy. I guess I won't be so desperate as to go for one again.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Jun 2015 at 10:39 PM
Mascots are fine, they are safe to move in and too marry.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 7:30 AM
Mascots are fine. One of my Sims was married to one, had kids, grandkids with him.