Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One Minute Ninja'd
#3051 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by The Wild Turkey
I believe because the end of september is the end of the quarter for financing and accounting. Games make most of their money in the first few days, so it's most likely because EA wants some cash flow to close out the quarter.

Partly true. Obviously, the big burst of initial sales looks good to close out a quarter (even SC 2013 looked good from that perspective, initial sales were excellent before the issue of returns came up). But a franchise like the Sims relies on the recurrent sale of content, whether through SPs, EPs, or the Store, to generate income over the full life cycle of the release. So while that initial release data might be nice for the end of quarter corporate review, analysts will be looking for the retention rate and subsequent revenue flow which will only become apparent after several quarters roll by.

So while EA might crow about the million units sold during launch week, recouping essentially all the development costs, it's the subsequent revenue stream that will determine if this is a financial success for EA or not. It's not that different than other entertainment, such as movies. Sure, box office numbers on opening weekends are always a great boost, but it's the secondary streams, the VOD, paid streaming, DVD/Blu Ray sales, and overseas markets that determine the ultimate financial return on a film. So even if they sold a million copies of TS4 in release week, garnering $60 to $80 million dollars in gross revenue, if those players don't buy the whole subsequent stream of content, it's a big loss to the company.

Which makes the toddler/pool issue even more troublesome, as if those were deliberately pulled to assure sales of the first EPs released, and not the result of a development decision based on an unreasonable inflexible release date, it would suggest a level of greed that makes Gordon Gekko look like Mother Theresa.

Then again, I decided to watch this train wreck from the sideline quite a while ago, so I'm looking forward to watching the unfolding drama that will extend well beyond September 2.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3052 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Then again, I decided to watch this train wreck from the sideline quite a while ago, so I'm looking forward to watching the unfolding drama that will extend well beyond September 2.

I will too, just stocking up on popcorn for Simstember. O.o

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#3053 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Consort
Exactly. Leaving out toddlers does not make sense from a greedy business point of view but neither from a development point of view (huge pain to service an OPTIONAL life stage in the game).

Hence Ibelieve it's a deadline related issue. It's just the most logical explanation at hand.

I hope you're right, then hopefully we can hope for a remedy that doesn't include an EP and assloads of DLC...but I think eskie's got the right of it, and this is a means for EA to draw out supplementary sales.

I wish they would be more transparent about their intentions. I think if they came out and for sure said there will be a toddler/additional life stage EP, it will reassure many people into going ahead and buying the game. Additionally, if they came out and reassured everyone that they'll be patched in later? None of us would be here bitching the way we are. But they haven't said anything because they're still trying to decide how far they can take this and get away with it.

ETA Graham I see you--we're still wondering about ghosts.

ETAA 8 sims per household. Not sure if I've seen this said before, I know I read the 20 sims per lot statements.
Alchemist
#3054 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:19 AM
So the new "Official Gameplay Trailer" (gameplay, cough) is 1:02 in length.
Is that a new low is shortest length, or what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXJ-O8OFDhI
Forum Resident
#3055 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:22 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted. it's hard to keep up!

‏@SimGuruGraham: @JohnBigOz Ironically attics were something I put decent time into. Yes you can build them in #TheSims4; they work well with the new roofs.
Source

‏@SimGuruGraham: @JohnBigOz If the roof has enough space you can build or put usable objects under it. You can add doors/windows on roof drop walls as well.
Source

@SimGuruGraham: @kaiity_xx Off the top of my head... you can choose other specific Sims for them to socialize with, you can build specific skills, can sleep, can have them maintain their needs... things like careers have their own set of away actions that are more relevant to their work.
Source

EDIT: Also.. there goes another confirmed "feature". ... is the tea next?

Forum Resident
#3056 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
then hopefully we can hope for a remedy

Buy the product or don't.
I don't buy a product that hopefully can be remedied.

Find my Mods: Here at MTS, over at Simlogical
Field Researcher
#3057 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:30 AM
They've said all along that S4 would be for the "casual gamer", that was their focus. But.... the casual gamer (cg) and the serious simmer (ss) both buy Sims 3 at the same time. A few months down the road, ss buys world adventures, and cg picks up the latest harvest moon game for his nintendo. Next trip to the store, cg gets the latest diablo installment, ss buys late night. CG buys a WII game, ss buys a couple stuff packs, cg gets plants vs zombies, ss gets supernatural.... etc, etc. SS supports the modding community, and buys from the Store, while cg has never logged into any of those sites.

How many casual gamers do you have to entice to make up for 100 serious simmers deciding to opt out of this installment of the franchise? It's like eskie says... you've got that big burst of initial revenue, but not the continuous stream of purchases.

And there are way too many of us stocking up on pop corn and planning on train watching for EA to be entirely comfortable, I hope.
Theorist
#3058 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I missed everything but it's the old props stuff again, right? Yet they want us to pay all that money for a game of pretend.

There will always be a segment of the community that believe the props have a purpose in the game, other than story-telling. Fell for it again, eh? SMH

Hi, lewisb! Actually this time it was just a render, with the words "gym/tan/laundry" (or something like that) on it, which some simmers took to mean that we would get laundry. Which does sound ridiculous, except for that laundry basket décor that was spotted sitting on the floor in that render of Andre sitting on the toilet with his tablet.

Someone thought laundry was confirmed, and got mad that it was taken out, and someone else basically called everyone an idiot for imagining something that wasn't there in the first place, especially because this was some reference to a popular TV show and everyone should have known better. And I made a post about EA's marketing tactics that actually encourage all the speculation.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Alchemist
#3059 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by anifromid2
They've said all along that S4 would be for the "casual gamer", that was their focus. But.... the casual gamer (cg) and the serious simmer (ss) both buy Sims 3 at the same time. A few months down the road, ss buys world adventures, and cg picks up the latest harvest moon game for his nintendo. Next trip to the store, cg gets the latest diablo installment, ss buys late night. CG buys a WII game, ss buys a couple stuff packs, cg gets plants vs zombies, ss gets supernatural.... etc, etc. SS supports the modding community, and buys from the Store, while cg has never logged into any of those sites.

How many casual gamers do you have to entice to make up for 100 serious simmers deciding to opt out of this installment of the franchise? It's like eskie says... you've got that big burst of initial revenue, but not the continuous stream of purchases.

And there are way too many of us stocking up on pop corn and planning on train watching for EA to be entirely comfortable, I hope.

I didn't know they said that (casual gamer focus). But if it is, then this iteration is their experiment to see which way it jumps.
We are the guinea pigs.
Hunh. Oh, happy dayz. Not.
Field Researcher
#3060 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Hi, lewisb! Actually this time it was just a render, with the words "gym/tan/laundry" (or something like that) on it, which some simmers took to mean that we would get laundry. Which does sound ridiculous, except for that laundry basket décor that was spotted sitting on the floor in that render of Andre sitting on the toilet with his tablet.

Someone thought laundry was confirmed, and got mad that it was taken out, and someone else basically called everyone an idiot for imagining something that wasn't there in the first place, especially because this was some reference to a popular TV show and everyone should have known better. And I made a post about EA's marketing tactics that actually encourage all the speculation.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

That's not quite it, but as a quick and dirty summary I suppose it will have to do.
Lab Assistant
#3061 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tuber101
That's not quite it, but as a quick and dirty summary I suppose it will have to do.

Oh right, they forgot to throw in how you called me a "14 year old girl" even though my account clearly says I'm a male, for simply disagreeing with you. (The fact that I'm a female be damned)

Let's just drop the whole thing okay? This forum is supposed to be about the Sims 4.
Lab Assistant
#3062 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:03 AM

Alchemist
#3063 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:06 AM
Test Subject
#3064 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Well, leaving out toddlers does increase the potential amount of toddler DLC, does it not?

I've just thought of it. Even if they're going to add toddlers in a free patch, people that really want to play them will have to buy quite a lot of DLC, because there will be no content for toddlers in the base game and only necessary minimum in patch.
By the way, what's the whole thing with misleading trailers? They included transgender sim in Uni EP trailer, although option wasn't there, and now they include a scene in "classroom", although we know that school will be "imaginary rabbithole". There were ways to show teen being bullied and depressed about it without this staged crap.
Field Researcher
#3065 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KlutzWobbles

I love that gif... so versatile!
Top Secret Researcher
#3066 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:11 AM
They've said all along that S4 would be for the "casual gamer", that was their focus.

Out of curiosity, was this actually said somewhere?
Theorist
#3067 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lynn Smith
I've just thought of it. Even if they're going to add toddlers in a free patch, people that really want to play them will have to buy quite a lot of DLC, because there will be no content for toddlers in the base game and only necessary minimum in patch.
By the way, what's the whole thing with misleading trailers? They included transgender sim in Uni EP trailer, although option wasn't there, and now they include a scene in "classroom", although we know that school will be "imaginary rabbithole". There were ways to show teen being bullied and depressed about it without this staged crap.

I think it's optimistic to assume that toddlers will be added via patch. But if they're not, there will never be any content for them in any of the EPs, either. Which means even more DLC!

IMO, the reason EA marketing is constantly misrepresenting this game is because they have no idea how to sell "mundane life". They think they have to throw something in that seems more exciting, more marketable to them. So they end up stretching the truth quite a lot, which only damages the trust between EA and their customers.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Scholar
#3068 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:15 AM
Calling it now, toddlers will never be added. Pools? Yeah, probably. Toddlers? NEVER.

ModTheSims Forum archaeologists will uncover this thread in several years after the game has failed. As they search through thousands of dusty, decaying posts and read the words of long dead members for answers they will see that I was right. And I will be a god.
Lab Assistant
#3069 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:16 AM
Listening to Sims 2 music and crying at the lost possibilities. Behind all the anger, the frustration, the rage lies infinite sadness and disappointment for what could have been.
Mad Poster
#3070 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:17 AM

Because there is a focus group that don't get on the internet and find some issues with the past series of The Sims. I think this post from Graham may explain it better, but the serious simmers are not the only ones they have in mind when creating the new series. Really this was about the new UI, but you can get the gist of it. http://linna.modthesims.info/showpo...10&postcount=38

It still kind of hurt because I feel like EA is going to do what they do and if you are a true fan, then you will take it. Isn't that what the sheep preach at us, non-true fans?

The link to the thread it came from: http://linna.modthesims.info/showth...25#startcomment

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#3071 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:18 AM
Scholar
#3072 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:22 AM
It looks like I did not miss much beside the new trailer. Not surprised that nothing new except the cupcake maker and freezer bunny guitar. Still, it doesn't make up for the core things like toddlers,pools and other basic core stuff not in the game!

Quote: Originally posted by Consort
Exactly. Leaving out toddlers does not make sense from a greedy business point of view but neither from a development point of view (huge pain to service an OPTIONAL life stage in the game).

Hence I believe it's a deadline related issue. It's just the most logical explanation at hand.

Can I add that it also doesn't make sense that the teens now have the same exact heights as the adults and elders. Every teen adult and elder is different especially in Real life. I still can't get over that. That's like playing the same life state three times. It's almost equivalent to not having CAST/Color wheel present in the game IMO.

Quote: Originally posted by pkessler
Listening to Sims 2 music and crying at the lost possibilities. Behind all the anger, the frustration, the rage lies infinite sadness and disappointment for what could have been.

This post also needs a hug button! :lovestruc
Alchemist
#3073 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pkessler

Exactly. That's why this second thread has over 120 pages already.
Lab Assistant
#3074 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:22 AM
I love that gif... so versatile!

Alchemist
#3075 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:24 AM
And they don't even need masks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6x5Jvj3908
Locked thread
Page 123 of 920