Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 1:08 AM
Default Aging Sims without the "Trigger Age Transition"
I've always liked family trees, so whenever I make Sims I generally have grandparents, parents, and teens. Then I generally trigger the teens to become adults because that's the most fun stage to play.

I generally use the "testingcheatsenabled" cheat to trigger my teen's age to become an adult instantaneously. Now maybe it's Late Night or something, but the cheat doesn't really work for me any longer. The Sim appears to be an adult, but the stats are still high school (I saw my balding adult go to highschool).

Furthermore, the cheat can get bothersome at times. It takes forever to actually age because my Sims spend several hours celebrating the birthdays.

Is there another way to age my Sims? I'm hoping for a mod, but if none exists then I guess I can just decrease my Sims life span so that they'd age quicker.

What the avatar says...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 1:37 AM
You can just use a birthday cake to age sims up whenever you like, no cheats needed.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 1:42 AM
Or use a mod that allows you edit a sim in cas and change their age that way. No "celebration" required.
Retired
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 2:08 AM
Don't change Sim ages in Edit in CAS. Most mods provide other methods. Just flat out changing the age in CAS can leave you with distorted Sims, ie Child Sims stretched to the height of teens, etc.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Field Researcher
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 12:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Don't change Sim ages in Edit in CAS. Most mods provide other methods. Just flat out changing the age in CAS can leave you with distorted Sims, ie Child Sims stretched to the height of teens, etc.

not to mention it can completely crash your game.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Alchemist
#6 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
You can just use a birthday cake to age sims up whenever you like, no cheats needed.

Exactly. I skip the baby and toddler years for all my sims by aging them with the cake right away. Those two stages are so tedious for me
Inventor
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 9:50 PM
I have had this happen twice, I have a child sim Darlene Bunch, that has aged down to 0 days and had a birthday cake, but her picture remains a child. She looks like a teen but when her Mother thinks of her or when I click on her it shows a child. It happened with Mortimer Goth too once. Anyone have any idea what causes this?
Scholar
#8 Old 22nd Dec 2010 at 10:04 PM
It's LN nonsense. I fixed it on my latest sim with the problem by having him change his appearance in the mirror. He proceeded to still be in high school as well. The bus came for him every morning. I just never had him actually go... I had him go to a real job instead! He was all the way to Weatherman before the school thing mysteriously vanished from his tab and the school buses stopped stalking him.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 1:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NutsAndDolts
It's LN nonsense. I fixed it on my latest sim with the problem by having him change his appearance in the mirror. He proceeded to still be in high school as well. The bus came for him every morning. I just never had him actually go... I had him go to a real job instead! He was all the way to Weatherman before the school thing mysteriously vanished from his tab and the school buses stopped stalking him.

So it's a late night glitch? I just tried aging two of my sims the normal way. One grew up without a hitch, the other one "grew up" but is still technically in school. Furthermore, she didn't get the option of picking a lifetime wish and another trait (I know I can just use testingcheatsenabled to add another trait, but now she has no lifetime wish).

Birthday cakes aren't working either. My sim blows out the candles, but now they don't have the option to serve it anymore. It just sits there...

What the avatar says...
Inventor
#10 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 1:33 AM
The Darlene thing happened on a new Computer Phenom II (Deneb) x4 with 6 gig of memory and ATI graphics, with only Sims 3, Fast Lane, HELS, and World Travel. I was waiting for a new monitor for this computer and just playing with the stuff I like. I had it happen with Mortimer before LN came out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Dec 2010 at 5:50 AM Last edited by gold_silk : 24th Dec 2010 at 1:02 AM. Reason: Found another thread
Default An aging issue
I posted a thread about this issue, but then it came to my attention that this is probably a LN glitch.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=428811

Essentially, my sims won't age. I've tried aging four of my teenage Sims to YA, and only one was successful. I've had some interesting results though. Some teens age up to look like adults (adult hair and outfits) but they still go to school and only have four traits--they're essentially still teenagers. Another sim wouldn't age at all and just continued staying a teen.

I've tried aging naturally (waiting till 0 days and playing throughout the whole day). The Sim throws a party but nothing happens.

I've tried using a birthday cake, which doesn't work at all. The Sim blows out the candles then nothing happens (and the cake can no longer be served--it's just an inanimate object).

I've tried without cc, and the same results occur. On another thread, somebody mentioned the same issue. Can we in anyways fix the problem? I really want my teenage Sim to become a YA.

--------
I recently discovered another thread on the same topic. Somebody gave a solution, which worked for somebody on that thread but not for me.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ost#post3402885

What the avatar says...
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gold_silk
I've tried without cc, and the same results occur.

Did you delete the caches after removing the cc? Since installing LN I've only tried the birthday cake on babies and toddlers and it doesn't seem to work at all anymore, but everyone has aged up normally using "trigger age transition" (except kids stretch long for a minute just after they age).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
Did you delete the caches after removing the cc? Since installing LN I've only tried the birthday cake on babies and toddlers and it doesn't seem to work at all anymore, but everyone has aged up normally using "trigger age transition" (except kids stretch long for a minute just after they age).

Yep, I deleted the caches too. Still doesn't work, but I discovered something new. The problem only happens to anyone below YA (my YA and adults age up fine). Furthermore, I can't age up the children/teenagers I created in create a sim, but preexisting teens/children age up fine. Still doesn't help me figure out what's going wrong.

What the avatar says...
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 8:07 AM
Help with game bugs, which this certainly is, can be found in the Help forum You'll find a link at the bottom of the main Help page.

I strongly suspect something in your save file... deleting mods and clearing caches doesn't obliterate all changes those mods may have caused to your save game. The test for that would be to start a new game and see if you still have the issue.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#15 Old 24th Dec 2010 at 9:50 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Discussion - Sims 3 Game Problem
    Remember, as the message said that displayed before you posted your thread...

If you're having any problem, issue, error, or glitch with your game, that's a job for MTS's Help section. There's both articles with common issues as well as Q&A support forums where you can ask questions and get specific help.

Game Help:Sims 3 Game Problemwiki

Try that first - every step, in order, and don't skip anything! Even if it doesn't say your specific problem, try it anyway, as it's a good starting point to rule out the most common causes of game issues.

If you still have trouble, you can post a new thread in the Help Q&A forums. There's a link to the Help Q&A forums at the top of every FAQ in the Help section. If you do post there, make sure to read and follow the directions that will display before you post there!

Good luck, and happy simming! :)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Dec 2010 at 10:31 AM
Default Children/Teenage Sims Won't Age!
Here's the issue. Children/Teenage Sims I created won't age. I've tested this with numerous Sims families and in different neighborhoods. Sim families created by EA age normally, and adopted Sims will also age normally. Young adults age fine as do adults. It's only the children/teenagers I'm having trouble with.

I've done all the procedures. I tested without cc and deleted the caches. Still didn't work. I made new neighborhoods and families and still nada. I then decided to do the ultimate; uninstall the Sims and all the expansion packs. So this issue isn't based on any new expansion packs or cc.

Here's the thing. I just finished installing the base game and I had just tried making a test family with a teen and growing him up (I did the testingcheatsenabled cheat, but I had tried aging Sims normally without any results). Even with just the base game and no cc, the teenager still didn't age!

What happens is that the Sim and surrounding Sims begin to celebrate like a normal aging up process, but then after the celebration nothing happens. No sparkles, no popups congratulating the new age. Sometimes (but not always) the Sim's appearances change to YA, but s/he still goes to school and only has four traits and no life goal.

I'm at a lost at what to do here. I'm only using the base game with no cc yet this glitch has been driving me crazy. I think the problem may be the newest patch? That's my only reasoning. Looking through the forums, others have had similar issues; some seemed resolved while others never update their statuses. Is there any way I can fix this?

Also, I use a mac, so the problem may be only for mac users? I'll give my specs if somebody asks.

Any advice? I've had this problem for about two weeks, and it's driving me crazy, especially since I'm on winter break and this is the only free time I have to play Sims.

-------
Here are other threads I found/made on the same topic. For me, the problem hasn't been resolved even with the advice given, thus I felt the need to make a new thread. Hope that didn't violate any rules.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=429215
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=428944
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=427458
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=428811

What the avatar says...
Field Researcher
#17 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 1:14 AM
I don't have any suggestions (sorry), but I wondered what you meant by "Children/Teenage Sims I created"? Do you mean children created in Create-A-Sim along with the rest of a family, or children "born" in the game to sims that were made in Create-A-Sim?

(Ancient) Sims 2 stories | Adventurous, Bookworm, Eco-Friendly, Genius, Over-Emotional
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 7:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by baratron
I don't have any suggestions (sorry), but I wondered what you meant by "Children/Teenage Sims I created"? Do you mean children created in Create-A-Sim along with the rest of a family, or children "born" in the game to sims that were made in Create-A-Sim?

I created them in Create-a-Sim. I haven't tested sims that were "born" in a family I created.

What the avatar says...
Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 9:55 PM
I have combined 3 of your threads that were on the same subject. Since only a handful of people have posted on this issue, it's not a widespread problem. Since it doesn't, apparently, affect all sims in your game, it's not even a global issue for you either. Is there anything different about the sim that wont age? Have you encountered any other sims that wont age? You've tried all possible means to get the sim to age up? Are you using Twallan's Master Controller mod? If so, have you attempted to correct the situation at all with the mod?