Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 3:34 PM
Default Stopping autonomous reading
So I was looking at the horde of peasants and assistant pig wranglers and whatnot queuing at my bookcase, to the point where I had to get a second one just to have any chance of using it. And worse yet, leaving books all over my floor and endtables and whatnot.

Now it seems to me like most people in the middle ages were illiterate. Even nobles were often illiterate, and early enough, even kings. (IIRC Charlemagne was the first germanic king to even try to learn to read... but apparently without ever becoming really good at it.) Even in administration before the High Middle Ages or so, pretty much only in Italy you'd find any noteworthy number of people who can read and write without being clergy or merchants.

Furthermore, IIRC there is a quest which also makes it fairly evident that most peasants are supposed to be illiterate in the game either.

So I'm thinking, would it be possible to disable any kind of reading from the bookcase as an autonomous action? Alternately, I suppose a more balanced approach would be to disable it for everyone except heroes or whoever happens to be scholarly, or both. But I don't know how hard would that be
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 5:35 PM
I only saw one read interaction that was autonomous. Give this a shot. Seems to clear up my bookshelves.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  NoAutoRead.zip (3.0 KB, 48 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 7:14 PM
Thanks. I'll try it right away.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Sep 2011 at 7:30 PM
Heh. So I start the game and see the monk heading straight for the bookcase (probably was already headed there, I guess)... and then stands there looking dumb. Absolutely priceless :p

Thanks again.