Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 1:32 AM
Default How do I add existing sims to different family trees? I want them to show up on the family tree
I want to add several townies and sims to the family trees of other sims. There are some sims in university that aren't newely created that I want to be siblings. Can I do that without using sim pe? The sim blender is what I use in replace of insem since I had issues. When I add them as siblings or cousins ect they're not listed on the other sims family tree? Which is what I need to happen. They're social interaction changes...family kiss ect but they're not added to the family tree when looking at the panel.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 1:34 AM
You need SimPE if you want them to actually show up on the family tree; other mods, like Sim Blender, can make them recognize each other as a relative, but it won't put them on the tree
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lord St.Croix
You need SimPE if you want them to actually show up on the family tree; other mods, like Sim Blender, can make them recognize each other as a relative, but it won't put them on the tree
Aww I figured that I don't like simpe. It takes way too long to load and with my megahood I'd have to go through too many characters to find those I'm looking for. Thanks anyway
Alchemist
#4 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 3:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that Inge's teleporter cat will do what you want.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I'm pretty sure that Inge's teleporter cat will do what you want.

I'm looking at it now...the white cat that makes sims selectable. I'm not seeing an option to make the 2 sims siblings.
Alchemist
#6 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 6:07 AM
I checked on this and unfortunately, it's not as straightforward as I remembered. The cat will update the family tree, but only when an adult adopts a teen or younger Sim. If you really want to update the tree, and you're willing to wait a bit, once they graduate, you could temporarily age them down to teens, find an adult Sim to use as their parent, have the parent adopt both of them, then age them back to adults. Maybe someone will have an alternative that won't require so many side steps.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 6:30 AM
The only way I know of is SimPE, and I could only manage it with Sims living in the same household. It's probably possible for them not to, but I didn't find how.

As for taking long to find the Sim you want, you just open SimBrowser, click on a random name and type the one you want. It'll jump to the one you want
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SayanAmanda
Aww I figured that I don't like simpe. It takes way too long to load and with my megahood I'd have to go through too many characters to find those I'm looking for. Thanks anyway

In SimPE, you do it by family in the Family Ties section. It's quite easy actually and quick to do. If you can stand a long loading time (I don't know why SimPE takes so long for some people, takes about 15 seconds for me), I can tell you how to do it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 1:32 PM
The trick to SimPE's long loading time is - begin the opening process when you have something else you need to do somewhere else in the house. So, open it on the way to deal with laundry or sweep or do dishes. Do a bunch of chores, and by the time you need a break - it'll be up and you can do whatever you need to do.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
In SimPE, you do it by family in the Family Ties section. It's quite easy actually and quick to do. If you can stand a long loading time (I don't know why SimPE takes so long for some people, takes about 15 seconds for me), I can tell you how to do it.

Okay, I don't think I'll use it nearly as often as I needed, but for about 7 families it's a must for me storyline wise. Please let me know how it's done! I just deal with the loading time and cross my fingers I don't get a "not responding" which sometimes use to happen with sim pe due to the long time. edit: by the way...do they have to be in the same household or is there a way around that?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 4:27 PM
They don't need to be in the same household. I've done it before with sims that weren't in the same household - in fact, I've even used it to make a CAS created half-alien sim related to the Pollination Technician that was supposed to be their parent. I have the game running at the moment so can't check SimPE to explain how to do it, but I'm sure maxon will be able to explain it! It's pretty simple, it's just quite a bit of waiting if you find that SimPE loads slowly...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 5:26 PM
Also for SimPE to load faster is to remove your downloads folder and all hoods but for the one you want to work on.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
Also for SimPE to load faster is to remove your downloads folder and all hoods but for the one you want to work on.

thanks Can someone tell me how to change existing family trees in sim pe?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 10:19 PM
Also don't worry about it "not responding", you just have to wait that out. Mine does that on every section. I haven't edited a family tree but I'm interested to know how. It probably is quite simple.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 6:47 AM
This is the tutorial that taught me to do it:
http://hullabaloo.sunsims.com/forum...opic.php?t=7085

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 11:20 AM Last edited by maxon : 19th Aug 2014 at 3:53 PM.
OK - some brief points to help (I hope):

a. Open SimPE. To make sure everything is loaded and to avoid delays and hangings, the first thing I do is go to Object Workshop (tab on the bottom) and then press 'Start'. Let everything load. You will know it's finished when you can see the list of object categories in the bottom panel. On my machine with all EPs/SPs, this takes 20-30 seconds. YMMV.

b. Open your neighbourhood - either directly by opening the neighbourhood file or using the neighbourhood browser (you have to open the file directly if you're using Any Game Starter, for instance). Go to Plug In view.

c. Click on the Family Ties section (top left panel and top right panel). There will be a short load. Let it finish. You will know it has finished when the family ties panel appears.

d. Select the family of the sim you want to work on. See screenshot. I've highlighted places where you can alter stuff.

Bits with blue are the locations mentioned above.

So,
1. This is the sim you are working on - Abbie Cardew. It's her relationships you can see in the main panel. This is how it will appear in game.

2. This is Tamara, Abbie's daughter. You can see their relationship in the connecting arrow - Tamara is set as Abbie's child. (This, btw, wasn't a natural in-game generated relationship. I created both sims separately and made the connection for the family tree only here - there is another place where you set the relationship in Sim Description but you can alter that relationship with the Sim Blender - see note below).

3. You can change the nature of the relationship here.

4. You tick this box if you want to add a sim that is outside the current family. Tamara, you may notice, doesn't belong to the Penhaligan family (left panel). To add her to Abbie's family tree, you start here and click this little box. What that does is fix the main panel in place and it won't change when you change the family. You then go to the family where your other sim lives (in this case it was the Morgan family where Tamara lives). Then RIGHT-CLICK on Tamara's portrait and choose 'Add ...'. It adds the target sim as a sibling and you use the function at 3 to change the relationship.

Don't forget to commit before you save.

Notes - if you're having trouble with SimPE loading, the trick is to let it load all the resources first. That's why I do the thing with Object Workshop first. It loads most of the game resources from the game files and then any more loads needed are relatively short. The other part is to JUST LEAVE IT ALONE while it's loading. Don't fiddle, I know it's tempting and frustrating but just don't. If you click on the screen, it has a tendency to hang or take longer to finish what it's doing. That's why Peni's advice to go away and do something is good advice. Make sure it's finished loading before you go on to the next bit - you can usually tell because it pulls up something to see - like the object list in Object Workshop.

Remember also that this panel sets the relationships in the family tree ONLY. You need to also change the relationships in Sim Description/Relationships or via SimBlender to set sims to recognise family relationships.

You probably should check if the target sim's relationship has also changed - there's a little box in the bottom right corner marked 'keep consistent' which should be ticked (checked) but I check anyway. That means going and having a look at Tamara's relationship panel and seeing if her mum appears there correctly (it did but I check anyway). Don't forget to uncheck the fix-in-place box (at 4) before you do or you won't see Tamara's panel.

HTH.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
OK - some brief points to help (I hope):

a. Open SimPE. To make sure everything is loaded and to avoid delays and hangings, the first thing I do is go to Object Workshop (tab on the bottom) and then press 'Start'. Let everything load. You will know it's finished when you can see the list of object categories in the bottom panel. On my machine with all EPs/SPs, this takes 20-30 seconds. YMMV.

b. Open your neighbourhood - either directly by opening the neighbourhood file or using the neighbourhood browser (you have to open the file directly if you're using Any Game Starter, for instance). Go to Plug In view.

c. Click on the Family Ties section (top left panel and top right panel). There will be a short load. Let it finish. You will know it has finished when the family ties panel appears.

d. Select the family of the sim you want to work on. See screenshot. I've highlighted places where you can alter stuff.

Bits with blue are the locations mentioned above.

So,
1. This is the sim you are working on - Abbie Cardew. It's her relationships you can see in the main panel. This is how it will appear in game.

2. This is Tamara, Abbie's daughter. You can see their relationship in the connecting arrow - Tamara is set as Abbie's child. (This, btw, wasn't a natural in-game generated relationship. I created both sims separately and made the connection for the family tree only here - there is another place where you set the relationship in Sim Description but you can alter that relationship with the Sim Blender - see note below).

3. You can change the nature of the relationship here.

4. You tick this box if you want to add a sim that is outside the current family. Tamara, you may notice, doesn't belong to the Penhaligan family (left panel). To add her to Abbie's family tree, you start here and click this little box. What that does is fix the main panel in place and it won't change when you change the family. You then go to the family where your other sim lives (in this case it was the Morgan family where Tamara lives). Then RIGHT-CLICK on Tamara's portrait and choose 'Add ...'. It adds the target sim as a sibling and you use the function at 3 to change the relationship.

Don't forget to commit before you save.

Notes - if you're having trouble with SimPE loading, the trick is to let it load all the resources first. That's why I do the thing with Object Workshop first. It loads most of the game resources from the game files and then any more loads needed are relatively short. The other part is to JUST LEAVE IT ALONE while it's loading. Don't fiddle, I know it's tempting and frustrating but just don't. If you click on the screen, it has a tendency to hang or take longer to finish what it's doing. That's why Peni's advice to go away and do something is good advice. Make sure it's finished loading before you go on to the next bit - you can usually tell because it pulls up something to see - like the object list in Object Workshop.

Remember also that this panel sets the relationships in the family tree ONLY. You need to also change the relationships in Sim Description/Relationships or via SimBlender to set sims to recognise family relationships.

You probably should check if the target sim's relationship has also changed - there's a little box in the bottom right corner marked 'keep consistent' which should be ticked (checked) but I check anyway. That means going and having a look at Tamara's relationship panel and seeing if her mum appears there correctly (it did but I check anyway). Don't forget to uncheck the fix-in-place box (at 4) before you do or you won't see Tamara's panel.

HTH.
Thanksss a million :lovestruc