Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:10 AM
Default How clutter minded are you?
Do you need clutter cc or you go crazy or do you find pretending is just fine? Do you need shelves full of books, newspapers, and mini statues? Does your kitchen need pepper, salt, and cookie canisters? Do you HAVE to have a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom or you will go mad? Do you need clutter? I think myself I do not use clutter until I get bored or have downloaded a house with extra rooms. I seem to think that bathrooms need counters with lotion on them and bathtubs do not look right unless towels are hanging nearby. But I seem most tempted to find clutter cc when I run a business. Yourself?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:39 AM
It really depends on the house and the sims.

If the house is small, no clutter period.

If the sims is a sloppy sims, I can't find enough clutter for them. I even have the dirty clothes on the floor cc for these sims.

If they are neat sims I usually just place plants and flowers around their house.
Scholar
#3 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:39 AM
It depends on my mood.

Sometimes I HAVE to have clutter... Othertimes I can't be bothered.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:43 AM
My big thing is I like to download clutter items to have for my sims to sell at their businesses. So I have clutter for food to make grocery stores more interesting, and clutter for pharmacy items, things like that. I naturally keep my sims' houses on the lower clutter end but then let them decorate their houses with the items they buy at the businesses. So if Mary-Sue Pleasant goes to the pharmacy that my sim is running and buys medicine and toothpaste and perfume, then I'll clear her inventory and put it in her house somewhere.

It gives my sims some thought in their houses and encourages me to play businesses more if I want a clutter-filled house.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 1:13 AM
I don't clutter up my Sim homes that much. Especially with my "Less CC" policy, I only really invest in bug fixing mods and hacks, which makes up the bulk of my downloads, with clothing second in line. I pretend an awful lot in all Sims games, like SimCity and SimTower. Pretending is fine for me at least, since it helps reduce unnecessary delights in games. Plus, it exercises my imagination! I believe the human brain and it's powers surpass just about any game. A game helps the brain imagine further, like an inspiration.

So yeah... that sums up any free time I don't spend in front of the computer or doing something else, or if I'm on a jog or walk.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 1:46 AM
Not particularly into clutter ... just a few things here and there. Not quite like my real life!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 2:01 AM
It varies, depending on how patient I am in setting up the ambience, or how anxious I am to get on with it and start playing.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 2:09 AM
I have a few key clutter pieces but other than those I tend not to bother, mainly because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to track it down and then place everything so it looks like natural clutter in the game.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 2:12 AM
I have a few shops with clutter items as well. I do like some clutter, but I prefer shelfs or empty bookcases with slots to using omsps. How much clutter I use depends on my patience setting it up and on my sims. For some it's just more fitting to clutter everything up than for others. It's the same with paintings, some families have their kid's activity table pictures hanging in their kitchen until they die and some never put them up and clean the activity table all the time.

I generally prefer somewhat functional clutter like items. My favorites give appropriate enthusiasm when viewed. So a sim interested in cuisine will have a cluttered kitchen and they can view the items and gain cuisine enthusiasm. There are some science, sports and tinkering things in game. And any arts and crafts sim pretty much get lots of clutter to view. CC rarely includes different enthusiasm for viewing and I haven't found anything for gamers or fitness sims, unfortunately.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 2:48 AM
I LOVE clutter - in theory. In reality, I often just can't be bothered. If I feel particularly up to the challenge of scrolling through endless downloads looking for a toilet paper holder, then my Sims will have toilet paper. If not - well, it doesn't really matter, does it? I can just pretend that they wiped their ass.

I do enjoy seeing other people's cluttered spaces, however, and am often tempted into downloading, only to curse my bad eyesight when trying to find anything - clutter is always so small! - and spending twenty minutes squinting at my screen ("What is that? Is that a bowl of lemons or artfully arranged cushions?") isn't my idea of fun gameplay.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:32 PM
I made a thread on this a while back, Do you have the clutter bug?.

Do I go mad without clutter? No. My mental state is not dependent on my Sims houses. But I do prefer houses to look slightly more realistic. I only go all out in some houses, but most houses will have clutter in the kitchen and the bathroom, to simulate the things that you need in a regular kitchen/bathroom.

I made collection files for my clutter, because otherwise I'd spend forever looking through decorations folder trying to figure out what is what. Like poster above me stated, it's all very small and you can't see what it is. So I have a collection for different types of rooms, and place anything cluttery in there. I also make sure to delete things I'm not using, so it doesn't take that long to find what I'm looking for.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#12 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:35 PM
I used to really really LOVE clutter stuff. Now, I don't - probably because my real life house is super cluttered and I like my sims' houses at least, to look tidy.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 2:00 PM
I tend to do clutter if I'm taking pictures but not generally for when I'm just playing.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 2:46 PM
I've got loads of clutter. It's very nice for storytelling lots where I mostly pose the sims, or for other kinds of pictures. Clutter helps a lot to form personality. Are the sims messy? Lots of clutter everywhere! Are they tidy? Only clutter in tidy clusters on tables, bookshelves and the like. It's also nice for children's rooms, kitchens and other places that are supposed to look lived-in. If the krooms are spotlessly free of clutter, they tend to look like furniture catalog pictures.

But clutter isn't so nice for lots meant to be fully playable, because it often interferes with routing.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 5:09 PM
I clutter a little when I'm making a house for my website, but rarely even bother with paintings and the like in playable houses. For me it's just a waste of money and space.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Scholar
#16 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 5:31 PM
Surprisingly, not anymore. Maybe a few years ago I would have had a lot more CC in my games. Out of curiosity I wanted to see how much my game could take
Recently, I decided I wanted a mostly CC free game. I like houses with some clutter, but I still prefer Maxis stuff...I dunno why. There's nothing to stop me getting any CC except maybe my current laptop not letting me get WinZIP On Laptop Larry (I cant play on it anymore ) I had some CC- a couple of mods, 1 hair from the store. Now that I have Ultimate Collection (current fugly win8 laptop) I have no CC because I haven't gotten round to downloading. Yet.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#17 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 7:49 PM Last edited by Simonut : 9th Aug 2014 at 3:13 AM.
Clutter have it's place, but you have to know when "Not" to over do it, because it can and will become a nightmare mess. There is a place for those bottles and shelves or what my mother would call "whatnots" funny she called clutter whatnots.
But yet she could not part with the objects I guess my mother never knew what the word "Not" meant. Thank goodness I did not take after my dear mother, I am not a clutter person, I can't think or function when the place is clutter.
So my Sims is clutter free they do have their objects, but only with the right amount of touches not over done.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#18 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 9:42 AM
I can't stand clutter in TS2 which is the polar opposite of real life
Me, like K6ka, don't have CC clutter in and don't clutter homes usually, but I do use some things here and there from the catalog because the decorations>misc part of the catalog is cluttered for a start!

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Theorist
#19 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 1:00 PM
Though I love to download clutter (within reason), I am not one for tossing a lot of things about...in my Sims home. They only get clutter that I think is fitting for them (mainly a few items on counter-tops, shelves, open cupboards, desks and occasionally the floor).

All homes get a lot of paintings (wall, table, floor) though, as I have a ton of paintings in my real life home (framed floor paintings included). On occasion, I will add some shoe clutter, or a bag in the corner to give a Sims home that certain lived in look, but again, only if it's fitting of their personality.

For the most part, my Sims homes are like my own, minimalist and tidy. Well, except my real life home office...it could use some organizing. That tends to be the messier part of my Sims homes as well.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Scholar
#20 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 1:21 PM
I will clutter if something has multiple slots, otherwise I wouldn't bother (I don't use OMSPs)

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 1:47 PM
I very rarely clutter my houses. Since I removed almost all CC from my game I have even clutter than I had before.

Most of the time I find that I only put clutter in a house if it has a purpose. For instance, I used to have a pregnancy test that a female sim could take which would tell her if she was pregnant and how many babies she was pregnant with. At the moment, some of my houses have a certain bouquet that has interesting effects on a lot. The only real time I allow clutter that doesn't have a secondary purpose is if I allow my sims to show off date rewards.

I take that back, sometimes I will add clutter if I get really bored or if I need it for a picture I am taking.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Mad Poster
#22 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 5:01 PM
How clutter minded am I?

In real life unfortunately I have far too much clutter: I can hardly see the task bar on my computer screen as I peer over all the junk on my desk. Fortunately my Sims have far more sense than I have, and don't fill their houses with rubbish that they don't need! (Of course that may change when I finally get OFB, and they can go and buy stuff without my permission.)
Mad Poster
#23 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 6:19 PM
I grew up in a house with 5 siblings (1 older, 4 a lot younger) so I always find it quite homely to have a little bit of clutter in a house. Usually I will put the spices and pepper shakers etc in the kitchen and maybe some pots and pans, regardless of how clean my sims are, but usually that's it for clean sims. More sloppier sims (or larger families) usually have some junk on the coffee table, or on top of a dresser. Especially in teenagers rooms, their bedrooms are usually full of clothes piles and clutter related to their hobby.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:48 PM
I don't do clutter at all. I keep my sim's tables nice and clean. I'm not much in to realism. The clutter wouldn't bother me so much if the items were actually usuable. I'm not into decorations that are unsightly on purpose.

But in real life it's pretty much the opposite. The lack of clutter in real homes feels so uptight and unfriendly. Or maybe I'm just lazy and in denial.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 10:22 PM
I don't have any clutter at all in my Sims houses. I go for more functionality than looks. If I put down something from the decorations category there is a reason for it (most of the time its to keep Sims from putting things in inaccessible places then route failing later because its inaccessible.)
Page 1 of 2