Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Duck Defender
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 6:30 AM
Default So speaking about Mesh Editing...
What type of 3D Meshing program should I go buy, and get acquainted with?

I've heard about 3D Studio Max, and a few others, but I'm looking for some input as to which type of program is good, and has a learning curve.

When we get the ability to edit meshes, I'm on it like a fat kid on a cupcake, and I want to be ready.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 6:57 AM
technically ANY 3D mesh editor should work as long as you have a converter to take the Sims2 mesh and convert it to whatever program you re using and the back to a Sims 2 mesh.
I have been doing 3D graphics for various types of media (TV, Games, Magazine ads) for years (well OK since 1992) and I personally prefer Lightwave for its ease of use however most of my clients that ask for the 3d objects on top of the rendered files prefer them in 3D Studio as it seems to be the most popular program out there.

I have not had a chance to play with Maya yet since these programs aren't cheap. Although I heard both Maya and 3D Studio are supposed to come out with/may already have stripped down free versions made just for modders.
I'll have to look into this for all of the fat kids out there waiting for that cupcake
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 7:01 AM
There is already an extractor that will extract the mesh into an OBJ file that can be loaded in a 3d modeling program - we are that far along - now it is examining the meshes and figuring out the unknowns
Duck Defender
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by snake_0iler
technically ANY 3D mesh editor should work as long as you have a converter to take the Sims2 mesh and convert it to whatever program you re using and the back to a Sims 2 mesh.
I have been doing 3D graphics for various types of media (TV, Games, Magazine ads) for years (well OK since 1992) and I personally prefer Lightwave for its ease of use however most of my clients that ask for the 3d objects on top of the rendered files prefer them in 3D Studio as it seems to be the most popular program out there.

I have not had a chance to play with Maya yet since these programs aren't cheap. Although I heard both Maya and 3D Studio are supposed to come out with/may already have stripped down free versions made just for modders.
I'll have to look into this for all of the fat kids out there waiting for that cupcake

Awesome, thanks for the info. :D

Quote: Originally posted by rentechd
There is already an extractor that will extract the mesh into an OBJ file that can be loaded in a 3d modeling program - we are that far along - now it is examining the meshes and figuring out the unknowns

I'm just looking for the best file to use to edit the .obj files.

I might look into Lightwave, although I hear Maya is good too, dunno.

Is .obj a popular extension in the CAD community?
Test Subject
#5 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 11:00 AM
I don't have a CLUE on how to mesh but that's the one thing I must do! Is there a good site where I can start to learn?
Duck Defender
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by -White-Knight-
I don't have a CLUE on how to mesh but that's the one thing I must do! Is there a good site where I can start to learn?

I'm sure Tutorials will appear once we get the ability.

I know I'm looking to make a few.
Alchemist
#7 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 10:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rev Desert Rat
I know I'm looking to make a few.

I wish you would. While I understand the basic ideas, I'm looking for someone that could describe modifying a mesh exported from Delphy's SimPE plug-in (the .obj files) with blender, for one.
If you can't work SimPE, I would be happy to send some extracted meshes. I can get 'em in, and I can color them, but I get confused after that.
Two very popular wish list items are larger breasts and *real hooters*. But perhaps there is a topic more suitable for a mixed audience.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
#8 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 5:43 AM
I personally use Maya 6.0, and, while it is not cheap, it is pretty good. I'm not very experienced/good at modelling, mostly I got it because I know someone who works for Alias' marketing dept and could get me a copy on the cheap, so I don't really know how it compares with others.

So, from the standpoint of a total n00b, it seems pretty nice :P
#9 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 6:18 AM
how can you get 1 for me cheep? plz i will pay for it
#10 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 10:56 AM
Default Poser4
If you're not thinking of taking up 3D modelling as a serious new hobbie and you just want to make some basic changes to existing models, a fun, cheap application to consider for mesh editing is Poser 4. Since Poser 5 has been out for a while, Poser 4 should be quite cheap.

Strictly speaking, it isn't a real mesh editor, but it has a feature for creating magnets that allow you to pull and push groups of vertices, and so on. It's really easy to use and you don't run the risk of changing the basic structure of the model by accident. Moving vertices around in 3D space can be painful, unless you use one of the more expensive applications.

I would love to give you specific links, but I've been out of the 3D community for a while, and things tend to change quite rapidly there. Check out Renderosity.com, and/or Curiouslabs.com for more info. Just a word of warning, Poser can be quite addictive.
#11 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 5:19 PM
Default Maya import and export settings...
I was wondering if some one can show me the settings that I should use to import and export these objs file in maya 6.0...
thanks folks!