Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 10:26 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night
Default Is it possible to edit prebuilt Sims so I don't have all the extra content?
I download a LOT of CC. Lately I've been super into downloading full Sims. Only problem is, they come with nails, makeup, skin, hair, rings, etc. I ONLY want the base Sim. I find the other things clutter up my game and make it run super slow. I've tried downloading one sim at a time, and editing the CC in game, but that takes FOREVER, and some CC can't be deleted. (It says it's store CC or something) Is there an easier way to do this than one item at a time? Normally I can use CCMagic or S3PE to edit each package. No such luck with the prebuilt Sims.

Please say there's a way to do this! I'm already going insane trying to convince my sims NOT to wear ballgowns to go swimming, I don't want another problem on top of it.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 10:42 PM
scan the sim in sims3pack form with CUSTARD first. http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ghlight=CUSTARD
Remove everything you don't want and then re-save the sims3pack before installing.

A sim file can probably be checked with Dashboard, although that form should not be bringing any baggage along. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 10:56 PM Last edited by Eves_Thieves : 12th Dec 2017 at 11:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
scan the sim in sims3pack form with CUSTARD first. http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ghlight=CUSTARD
Remove everything you don't want and then re-save the sims3pack before installing.

A sim file can probably be checked with Dashboard, although that form should not be bringing any baggage along. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006

Ohh, you're a life saver! I'll try CUSTARD. Dashboard seems like it would be helpful when you download Sims that end up being replaced by a default face. Do you know if it would help or not?

Edit: Custard keeps crashing on me. It says corrupt file even when it's a sim I KNOW runs in game and has no issues. I'll add it to my pile of things to troubleshoot. If I ever get these working I'll save so much time.
Site Helper
#4 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 3:51 AM
I have no idea if Dashboard would help with sims that get replaced by a default face or not, since I don't download sims very often.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 12:39 PM Last edited by Bejaymac : 13th Dec 2017 at 3:28 PM.
Sounds similar to issues I've been having with some custom sims, with the problem ones the actual .sim file can be anywhere from 30Mb to over 100Mb in size, as all of the cc the sim uses is actually stored in the .sim file, meshes, textures, the lot.

Like this Custard and the dashboard can only see one file inside the sims3pack.

So like you it was a case of edit the sim in CAS to remove the cc, load it in to a world (builder's island) so I can get at the outfits you can't get to in CAS (career, naked, singed) with the help of Master Controller, back into CAS, share the sim to create a new sims3pack, remove the old .sim and install the sims3pack you just made.

Major pain having to do that for one sim never mind over 30, worse part was finding bad cc came with those sims and that my reworked sims were now "infected" with it.

The method I used to get rid of the bad cc might be used to remove the cc from a .sim file (skin and sliders will remain). I said "might" because I haven't tried it and have no idea how the game will cope with removing cc being worn by a sim, as the the bad cc (shoes in my case) were attached to my sim without actually being worn by it.

Start S3PE, go File > Open, at the bottom of the new window you will see a button with "DBPF Packages" on it, click it to open a small drop down menu and select "all files" from that menu, now in that window navigate to your SavedSims folder and find the .sim file you want to edit, select it and open it.

Once it's opened look for all of the lines tagged as CASP, these are the instructions for the game to use the cc as CAS Parts, by deleting these CASP lines the game will not load any of this CC from the .sim file, once deleted save the file.

WARNING I have no idea how the game will handle this, it might load the sim with similar items from the game, or as is just as likely crash to desktop, so I would recommend only doing this on a copy of the file and to only delete a couple of the CASP lines as a test to begin with.

EDIT

Just tried it myself on one of the heavy weights I've been avoiding doing, it does what I hoped it would do, sliders are unaffected so the sim keeps it's original shape, the skin is still the same as is the hair colour. All hair styles, makeup and clothing have been replaced with similar types already in game, so don't be too surprised if you get a WTF moment while checking the outfits in game.

TBH it doesn't really change much, you will still have to go through every outfit the sim has and set it up how you want, you will still have to save it and remove the original .sim file. Only real difference is that none of the cc (good, bad or broken) will appear in your game.
Site Helper
#6 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 3:22 PM
You could also rename your Sims 3 folder in Documents to something like Sims 3 Real game, then run the game and let it make a new one.
Now you have a clean, expendable folder that you can use and then delete when you have finished cleaning sims. Then rename your Real Game folder back to its old name.
That would ensure that the only CC that was included was what you allowed the sim to be using. The rest left when the expendable folder was deleted.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 6:34 PM
Thanks, I'll try those! The problem I ran into is that I went through ALL my CC with S3PE and CCMagic, deleted what I didn't want, organized what I did want, and just tidy up. As soon as I loaded the game back... All the CC I deleted came back with the full body sims. If I delete the premade Sim with non of the CC I want, will it delete the CC from my game, or do I have to go through it again? Like it was said, the CC is packed IN the file, so I can't get rid of it. CUSTARD isn't helping much as it's crashing on nearly every single file.
Site Helper
#8 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 7:37 PM
Do you clear the caches after you remove CC?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 9:13 PM
I don't. I'm only JUST learning about CC cleanup so I don't even know where that's located.
Site Helper
#10 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 1:29 AM
That would be one reason why CC you thought you removed is still in the game.
I usually clear caches by running Dashboard and going to File: View Cache Info. From there you can have it clear some or all of the caches. Note: I believe that if you are running a Mac you want to avoid clearing your world caches. Otherwise, there is no harm in just clicking "Clear All" They regenerate every time you load the game, but clearing them prevents old data from being included in them. (And yes, it might take a little while longer to load, since it's rebuilding the caches.)

If you are clearing them manually, you find them in your Documents Sims 3 folder.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ete_Cache_Files explains where to find them and which files to delete.

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 12:01 PM
Just to give you some idea why your sim is like this, in game there are two ways to save a sim in CAS, first is to save it to the sim bin, as all the CC being used is in the game it means that only references to it all is added to the .sim file.

The second method is to use "share sim", this creates a .sim file which is then added to a .sims3pack file the game creates in the Export folder, game content and any custom content installed through the launcher only gets a reference added to the .sim file, however any .package files in the Mods folder that the sim is using are (badly) copied and merged directly into the .sim file.

This is why your sim has all that CC with it, it literally is inside that .sim file, and the only easy way to get rid of it all is to remove that .sim file from your game.

While there is a way to remove the cc from the .sim file it's not recommended, it involves deleted a lot more than just the CASP parts I mention in my earlier post, as a result the odds of making a complete mess of it is quite high.

If you want to keep the sim then you have no choice, you will have to edit the sim in game to remove the CC or any references to it, you will then have to save your modified sim to the sim bin, and then remove the original .sim file from your game as this file can't stay in your game.