Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 5:20 PM
I was wondering how come it was possible to play Sims 2 without being online on Origin. Since it's still all fine and dandy on this machine I don't have to update and for the time I have to I hope the workaround will be in place

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#27 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 5:59 PM
You can use programmes normally run through Origin by setting it to run in offline mode.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 8th Dec 2017 at 6:06 PM
Probably "Online" was not the term I was looking for, my bad. It may be running in Offline mode but it's still running in my PC and being an inconvenience. I'd probably do that if I had no other way around, though.

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 1:19 AM
Ugh. I left Origin alone because it wasn't that bad, but now it won't let me log into the Sims 2 at all because its online mode is unavailable. What happened to offline mode? DX
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 5:26 AM
Posts 13 and 14 in this thread have the answers - I am playing without logging into Origin at all again.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 10:31 AM
I gave Origin a chance and it abused my trust. Turns out that beat out my worry that a no CD hack would break my game. It's bypassed. Now it just better let me play DA: Origins or I won't be impressed.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 4:17 AM
Ok so i'm trying to get the UC to work with windows 10 finally and had it crashing/freezing while trying to load. I believe it's something about the downloads folder (as it even got rid of it, the computer o.O) but I ended up also going back to the original graphic rules.sgr file and video cards.sgr. Got inside the game and in a town (no downloads) and obviously it was HUGE, put the graphic rules.sgr fix in, went back in game, and was able to fix the resolution. Do I need to change the video cards.sgr? The resolution is fixed and there aren't any shadows. Is all I needed the graphic rules.sgr?

And to now test why the downloads folder gave it a hissy fit...fun

Edit: The graphic rules and video cards things from here http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6881

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#33 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 11:58 AM
I guess that depends on your card and system - I had to change both, still had the black box problem, though back then and needed the mod too. Somehow the black box thing has been fixed by something, so now I don't need the mod anymore.
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 1:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I guess that depends on your card and system - I had to change both, still had the black box problem, though back then and needed the mod too. Somehow the black box thing has been fixed by something, so now I don't need the mod anymore.

Thanks. It appears I just needed the graphic rules though if I run into issues i'll add the video cards.sgr too.

And I did track down what was giving it a hissy fit, some bookshelves

My Simblr
He/They
Scholar
#35 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 12:33 AM
So If I duplicate the game files from the C: drive (much like when I first tried to copy my save data and took the wrong set) then update the game through origin to this need origin to start up game update upon removing the origin update and then placing back the copy of the non origin update.
1 create a copy of the C: files
2 update the game through origin
3 decide origin launcher is really annoying
4 remove origin update
5 restore copy of original UC Files

would that work? I'm planning on updating to remove securom but if i find the nessacery launcher to be too annoying I plan on downdating from that and removing securerom via the other methods. would this work?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#36 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 6:40 AM
If you decided the Origin launcher is really annoying, read the thread again Post 13 and 14 in particular.
Scholar
#37 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 9:07 AM
Thanks @Justpetro. Ironically I'd just gone and done what you stated because as soon as I loaded origin Sims 2 UC began updating.

I suspected that it was on autoupdate.
Following the instructions over at leefish worked perfectly. I tried once a long time ago and failed or never really understood in the first place how to remove securerom by the leefish post. Then I forgot about it till i saw your thread.

Really should have persisted the first time though. 10 - 15 second per loading of build and buy vs the 2 mins and above with securerom. So much nicer.

Didn't really find the launcher too much of a problem, probably because I decided too go straight back to more non EA sources.

Also wanted to bump this back too the first page for people who haven't seen about the leefish solution but I didn't want to just write "bump" because that's just rude. So I subjected myself to a couple of hours of madness instead.
Inventor
#38 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 1:06 AM
Finally got around to opening Origin and allowing it to update my Sims 2: UC. Had to fix a few nicks with the graphics settings and whatnot to fix the blocky water problem.

Now I'm facing the problem of Origin being forced to open up every time I start the game, and even popping up in front of everything else when the game is closed. Is there a way to start up Sims 2 without Origin interfering whatsoever? I looked at posts 13 and 14 but it doesn't seem to have a solution to this particular issue.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 4:11 AM
While I don't know how to bypass needing Origin I just click go offline on Origin and then play Sims 2 without it bugging me.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#40 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 4:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kamoodle5
Finally got around to opening Origin and allowing it to update my Sims 2: UC. Had to fix a few nicks with the graphics settings and whatnot to fix the blocky water problem.

Now I'm facing the problem of Origin being forced to open up every time I start the game, and even popping up in front of everything else when the game is closed. Is there a way to start up Sims 2 without Origin interfering whatsoever? I looked at posts 13 and 14 but it doesn't seem to have a solution to this particular issue.

PMed you.

Edit: Or not, turns out I posted instead lol. I have PMed you now.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 7:35 AM
Woohoo! My game menus now glide like butter after removing SecuROM. I never actually noticed the slowdown after going to Windows 10 but after the game update I wanted to stop Origin from starting everytime, slow to start Origin, slows the PC's shutdown.

So basically, I killed 2 birds with 1 stone.
Scholar
#42 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
So If I duplicate the game files from the C: drive (...)

(Because Origin puts me into Chuck Norris mode)

restoring old main executable will do the trick, if you previously applied 4GB path in any way (by script or manually) you should have back up file: the original. Apply 4GB patch on it again and just change names. Begone EvilArts!

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#43 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 5:29 AM
Is downloading this patch worth it if we're still running on Windows 7?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#44 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 5:39 AM
Microsoft said a while back that Securom does not work with Windows 10 and the patch was made for that. I am not sure that downloading it on a Windows 7 system would work (I don't know, but I expect that there would be some control measure that will check if you are indeed using windows 10).
Scholar
#45 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 2:16 PM
unfortunatelly there is (probably) none @Justpetro - I recently repaired UC and became unfortunate victim of that update in the process (the Origin gave me no choice at all, it was "get it or get lost"), and I'm on Win7. Apparently having more slaves tied to that malware is the whole if not primary point of "updates". Restoring old executable healed the problem.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#46 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 2:29 PM
Seems if it removes securom from any UC then. (Last step I referred to in a post in this thread also needed on Windows 10 if you don't want to go through Origin).
Scholar
#47 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 2:46 PM
The funny part is I've never noticed SecuRom existence in the 1st place - it was never installed or registered with the UC; I checked a few times because it's one of the worst pestilences ever made so when I red about it all my personal paranoia was on high alert. I grabbed the UC at the 1st moment of the freegiving, had to repair a few times - probably because of system/drivers updates (i'm not sure) and changes in the Register, but infamous SR was never there. So: either I was the rare happy one without such additional gift given or SR was not installed on each machine or my machine settings simply made installation impossible (and the installer did not really care - quite possible according to Origin usual sloppiness).

Lab Assistant
#48 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 4:45 AM
Default Ultimate Collection
My game was working OK . Ran the removal tool for Securom and installed a No CD patch but then I guess I went one step too far, I removed the Origin file. When I tried to start the game I got an error message saying I needed to reinstall the Origin file.
Had Internet turned off by the way. Is there a way to run the game without the Origin Folder ???
Forum Resident
#49 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SilverFox30
My game was working OK . Ran the removal tool for Securom and installed a No CD patch but then I guess I went one step too far, I removed the Origin file. When I tried to start the game I got an error message saying I needed to reinstall the Origin file.
Had Internet turned off by the way. Is there a way to run the game without the Origin Folder ???

I'm afraid not. The origin folder is required, I'm 99% sure.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Scholar
#50 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 3:14 PM
after latest sneaky updates (yep, another reason to turn the unholy thing off) our benevolent EA tied Sims2 executable to Origin launcher - just as in many cases Steam did with it's own useless stuff ('ya know: everything what Steam/Origin offers you can do better without them).
There're workarounds, the simplest is restoring old, pre-messed executable, that "patch" does nothing except brain damage.

Page 2 of 2