Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 12:47 PM
Default Second-Hand Game Restrictions?
So I bought The Sims 3 second-hand from CeX (a second-hand shop that sells electronics, games, CDs and DVDs) a few days ago. I love the game and I have no idea why I never thought to buy it before.

However, it didn't come with a code to actually play the game so I used another person's. I'm not sure if this is allowed but I couldn't list it in Origin. It came up as a non-origin game in my library when I added it. Does this mean that I can only have Sims 3 without any of the patches released past the game's initial release?

Also, what does this mean for custom content and Expansion Packs? Will I be able to add them? What if the expansion packs are also second-hand?

If anyone could help, it would be very much appreciated! ^^ ♥
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 2:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Using somebody else's Origin account is a no-no. If Origin wasn't required ( discs printed before 2012 did not come with the Origin requirement, but you would need the code that came in the box) why did you use somebody else's account?

You can install and use custom content as long as there isn't a expansion or stuff pack required. As for adding other expansions and buying them second hand, to the best of my knowledge, you can't mix and match a Origin and disc installation and if the discs you are buying that were printed after the 2012 deadline, you'd have to know the accounts those discs are registered to which circles back to that whole using Origin accounts thing.

I didn't use anyone else's origin account. I have my own. It's "non-origin", it didn't let me install it with Origin. It was a second-hand disc which said nothing about Origin when I opened the Launcher.

There was no code in the box and when I asked some Discord friends about it, they gave me some random game code.
Scholar
#3 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 2:46 PM
If we are talking about the code needed for installing the game, I'm quite sure that there should be one in the box. If not, it's better to ask gor a refund.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Sorry. I went back and re-read your post. I missed the part about the code.

My answer hasn't changed much. If you buy a disc from somewhere that was printed before 2012 and the code that you are given by somebody on the internet is already registered, you're not going to be able to use that disc. Everything else in terms of custom content remains and you can also use mods, but make sure they match whatever version of the game you're playing.

This is the problem with stores selling games second hand. They don't know and if they do, they're not honest about it, but people buy them because they think they're getting a deal. It isn't a deal when the disc is tied to Origin, doesn't work, ect...

CeX is usually a pretty reliable place. I can play the game fine, I've been playing it a lot these last few days but it's a little upsetting to know that I can't get any of the patches with the bug fixes and updates and stuff. I'm not sure if they will let me return it now that I've installed it though, not to mention I've got a save file on there. Plus, I don't think there's much they can do if there's no code.

Just wish I could put it on Origin so I could update it through there.

Come to think of it, I bought it for £6 but there was another one that was £8... I wonder if that one was allowed to be used on Origin... Probably not.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 3:33 PM
I'm going to suggest a different path here, mostly for sanity's sake. The game and all of the Expansion/Stuff packs go on sale on Steam, which is an authorized re-seller, several times a year. The sales that take place in June and December are usually at least 75% off so we are talking about $5 or less (USD, prices in other countries will vary) for each of the base game and the packs, there are other unannounced sales throughout the year (we just had one a couple of weeks ago), and Origin also puts the game on sale occasionally although not usually at such a deep discount. With Steam they also throw in Origin codes at no extra charge as per their long-running agreement with EA, so even if purchased that way you could still do an Origin install if you wanted to instead of the Steam install.

Steam patches to 1.67 with no questions asked or decisions to be made just as Origin patches to 1.69. Both patch levels are current in that the game files themselves are identical between them except for their build numbers. And you can register your Steam purchased game with the TS3 store to purchase more content and store worlds if desired as with any other. You still get 1,000 store points for each of the base game and WA (the first expansion) no matter how they are registered if they can be, these are very old offers that are still being honored. And there are still some limited amounts of free content to be had from the store for registered users, most notably Riverview which is a great world to play.

Second hand discs without usable codes become useful if one was already running a disc install and needed replacement media or they can be used as an introduction to the game if you can get a code working as you have seen, but they aren't really viable for a totally registered game with all of the features and ways to add onto it as properly able to be registered game can be.
Scholar
#6 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 3:50 PM
^^ this ^^

Quote:
CeX is usually a pretty reliable place.

apparently not this time, you basically are in the same situation like you'd just download the "liberated" version of the game, minus these few pounds and with lesser options and content.

BTW - why even you tried to register the 2nd hand purchase in the Origin? The whole point of hunting these disks (and hunting and tracking is an accurate word) is to have the version of the game *without* this peskiness.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 6:07 PM
What your "friend" has likely done is used a serial generator to create a fake serial for you.

That's the bad part as EA/Origin wont recognise it, however if you can play the game without going through Origin, then there is nothing stopping you from using EP and SP with your base game, just don't register them with EA or Origin, especially if they are second hand, serials have probably already been used and EA can be a major PITFA about re-registering used serials.
Scholar
#8 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 12:17 AM
You might not need Origin at all. If it doesn't ask to launch Origin, can't he use the complete patch (forgot to what game version it goes)?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 12:49 AM
Is this useful, it's the final game patch......the one without Origin

https://simsvip.com/2014/01/24/sims...ate-1-67-12414/
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 8:37 AM
Is there still a superpatch somewhere that goes just to 1.67? I still need to install 3 on this computer. I am the original owner of all and have hard copies of all with the #s. But I know I will have to patch. And I just want to patch to 1.67. Left my game there and like it that way. :D
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 8:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Is there still a superpatch somewhere that goes just to 1.67? I still need to install 3 on this computer. I am the original owner of all and have hard copies of all with the #s. But I know I will have to patch. And I just want to patch to 1.67. Left my game there and like it that way. :D

http://akamai.cdn.ea.com/eadownload...40xx_update.exe

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#12 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 5:59 PM
sorry if I "hi-jack" the thread but I have a question in the same category.

I did purchase a lot of second hand discs of the sims 3 and included was a copy of the " "Barnacle Bay". That case holds no disc,the EP is a prepaid copy that should be downloaded from the Sims 3 store. I can see the code in the box, (the thin grey layer is scratched away), meaning that the code is used. Now, I do not plan to play the EP but it can be interesting to know if it can be downloaded or not. A short answer will do and then I'm out
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
sorry if I "hi-jack" the thread but I have a question in the same category.

I did purchase a lot of second hand discs of the sims 3 and included was a copy of the " "Barnacle Bay". That case holds no disc,the EP is a prepaid copy that should be downloaded from the Sims 3 store. I can see the code in the box, (the thin grey layer is scratched away), meaning that the code is used. Now, I do not plan to play the EP but it can be interesting to know if it can be downloaded or not. A short answer will do and then I'm out

If the code has been used already then you won't be able to download it.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Aug 2019 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annette19
Is this useful, it's the final game patch......the one without Origin

https://simsvip.com/2014/01/24/sims...ate-1-67-12414/

yeah but how how does one add it to one's game lol?

also thanks to everyone for the help! I will likely buy it on steam in the Autumn ♥
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
http://akamai.cdn.ea.com/eadownload...40xx_update.exe

Thank you!
Scholar
#16 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 1:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by enaysiayt
yeah but how how does one add it to one's game lol?

by "download and run"? Most of the times

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"