Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 3:22 PM
Default What do you like the most about college?
What do you like the most about college? I like lots of things about college, like having that extra boost for reaching the top of their careers, or just living in a dorm, with all the freedom my Sims want. How about you?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 3:33 PM
I think it's really fun overall. Obviously the career boost and the benefits (extra want slot, etc.) are great, but I just enjoy their social life in there. They get to meet other Sims, network, find love, woohoo, whatever that particular Sim wants. Or even just build skills, if they're the more introverted type. When they're teens, they spend most of their day in school, and when they're an adult, they spend most of their day at work. But in college, they have plenty of time, and since my Sims usually live in dorms, lots of potential friends/loves.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 3:34 PM
It's a good in-game way to cut the teen life stage short.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 3:47 PM
Except for a few hours of classtime (often skipable), students are available to sprawl all over the story, making drama and connections. You can really milk a character arc in college, especially with the prospect of aspiration change in Junior year. I like having multiple households of multiple playables, so there's always somebody active on the lot. Dating, partying, fighting, experimenting, working out past problems, setting up new ones. My best love stories happen on campus. My biggest enmities start there.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#5 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 3:50 PM
Since, I play a pretty strict rules based game (not everyone gets accepted, high tuition, shorter semesters mod, students can only skill/write term papers/do assignments when they roll a want), I'm always anxious to see how many students do well enough to actually graduate and go on to do well career wise (non college graduates have few career opportunities and lower waged jobs).

It may not sound like fun, but for me there is a lot of entertainment in not being able to predict who will graduate, who won't, who might find love, or who will solely focus in their studies. Also, I tend to try and preserve the friendships Sims make during college, and have them get together periodically throughout their lifetime.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 4:30 PM
What PenelopeT said! I play in a similar fashion to her, but with college in the main 'hood, using mods, and university (which costs more and has harder entrance requirements) at vacation destinations, which also requires mods. I love seeing who gets into college/university in the first place, how much they focus on their studies, whether or not they manage to graduate. And also the other stuff they get up to during their time at college/university, like making friends, discovering new love interests or continuing teenage relationships, learning new skills, discovering new places (if they go to university) and so on. Some of my students have kids whilst they're students, or they already have children from their teenage years (often from alien abduction, but not always), some live with their parents and siblings, some live alone, some live with their partners or with friends. It makes every household different, which makes it more fun to play! :-)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 4:42 PM
Socializing. Especially in big hoods like the Megahood, it's so much fun to get a group Sims of the same generation together, who would otherwise live completely seperate lives. It keeps the neighborhood connected.
Scholar
#8 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 5:30 PM
The socialization; it's good for finding the true loves for my sims
Alchemist
#9 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 6:14 PM
I just like to play that extra part of their lifes, them meeting other people, studying, having a bit fun, being away from home.

When they return home no matter what career I give them I make them at level 1 so it's not too easy
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 7:19 PM
Character development and seeing those serious sims get good degrees (and the less serious ones party!!)

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 8:39 PM
I find myself pretty bored with a lot of the university features (I've still never really done a Greek house, for example), but I love the architecture and landscaping that a university campus invites! (Especially after seeing that picture of rousseau's!)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 9:09 PM
I play like Laura and PenelopeT, although the money required is fairly low at this point. I don't think I'll be doing kids but maybe the ones who do college in the main hood might, I'll have to see. My new hood just got it's first teen so I don't even know who will be going yet or who will spend their young adulthood doing other things.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 18th Feb 2015 at 10:30 PM
To put it simply, what I like best about Uni is that it's different. The vacation lots are fun but there's no built-in end goal (pass or fail something) and the rest of the time you stay on your home lot or hood. It's a breath of fresh air once in a while.

And with Cyjon's Loan Jar, when sims come back as adults, they need to pay off at least 20,000, depending on which Uni they went to (Sim State is going to be way cheaper than Acadmie, etc etc)

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Theorist
#14 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 12:14 AM
It lets me find spouses for my sims, lets them build skills and badges really fast (I have my Uni set to perma-fall), and lets me work in Plot for one of my stories. College students are perfect for recreating the plots of Victorian operetta, at least the ones I like. Since I've started playing to my sims' wants, it's become more fun, but it's still way too long, so I use the college clock (on lots that don't have challenge rules forbidding it). I also like decorating dorms and fraternities and sororities with the scholarship money, making the place livable by the end of my sims' time in college.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Scholar
#15 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 12:31 AM
I like studying and writing papers and working in the kitchen...I only had one sim not graduate, and he was just so busy sewing he never made it to class and missed a test or two.

Also--not many would agree with me, but I like dormies and professors. They are pretty whacky.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 2:29 AM
I've just finished playing some college subhoods in my megahood. I think my favourite part is socializing. At the moment I have a sorority consisting of: Juliette & Hermia Capp, Lilith Pleasant, Violet Joque, Blossom Moonbeam, Klara Vonderstein and Sandra Roth. - I love them! They have toga parties and graduation parties and sports parties. Every day another party, and some studying too.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 3:07 PM
You can really concentrate on the individual sims before they have other things getting in the way - families, pets, elderly relatives, etc. Sure, they have to study, but if they did their work before starting, that's not so hard for them.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#18 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 4:14 PM
Everything. I love everything. I always have at least 3 6-room-doors with 6 Sims in them (no dormies, for then I will never get everyone through Uni) - and i also like to make 6 students at the beginning of a new hood and send them to Uni first.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 9:09 PM
I like the Secret Society.
Scholar
#21 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 9:50 PM
As other said before, socializing is great.

In fact I use most no-regen mods so I don't have many townies (only essential NPCs) but I don't use that kind of mods in the university.
Your neighbourhood may be a kinda closed enviroment but when you go to college it's just normal that you meet plenty of people from here and there :D
Not all my Sims can afford and want to go to college but those who do end up meeting plenty of people.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 19th Feb 2015 at 9:54 PM
The secret society stuff is fantastic! The first time one of my sims got abducted, I thought "OH MY GOD. I'M BEING ARRESTED?"

I also can't get enough of the mascots, to be honest. I love them.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Test Subject
#23 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 1:15 AM
Besides what has been mentioned, I like how I can get my sims loaded with $$$ before they graduate.
How do I do that?
If you are not familiar, I use this
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=218274
At the beginning of their Uni stay, I purchase them some silver and put it on their desk and put it in the inventory when they move out of the dorm. When graduation happens and they move back to the 'hood, I sell the silver and they have a nice cash boost.
Last time I had sims in Uni I also had one go the the secret society lot and then proceeded to invest all the lot's funds into silver and stuff a few into my sims inventory. Hooray for embezzlement.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dunbrine47
Besides what has been mentioned, I like how I can get my sims loaded with $$$ before they graduate.
How do I do that?
If you are not familiar, I use this
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=218274
At the beginning of their Uni stay, I purchase them some silver and put it on their desk and put it in the inventory when they move out of the dorm. When graduation happens and they move back to the 'hood, I sell the silver and they have a nice cash boost.
Last time I had sims in Uni I also had one go the the secret society lot and then proceeded to invest all the lot's funds into silver and stuff a few into my sims inventory. Hooray for embezzlement.

If I ever have a need for career criminal sims who are dastardly outside of their career, I'm definitely going to utilize that idea because that's brilliant.

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️