Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 5:27 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Could working CC suddenly stop working?
The other day my game stopped working after downloading over 300 files of CC. I originally ran all of that through Dashboard before I put any of it in the game. I also ran all new .sims3pack files through Delphy's Clean Installer.

So, to try to fix the issue I started with removing everything from my Downloads folder which fixed the issue and the game ran fine with all my recent CC. The only thing that seemed to be causing issues was whatever was in the Downloads folder. I ran that all through Clean Installer which didn't find any issues but my game still wouldn't load with them. I deleted cache files and DCCBackup, tried again, still didn't load. So, I decided to run all my most recent .sims3pack files that were still in the Downloads folder (I regularly move them out to keep my Downloads in the Launcher from getting cluttered) through Delphy's Multi Installer to extract the .package files from them so I could run them through Dashboard. It found some duplicates which I manually deleted, nothing corrupted, some conflicting files which I deleted a few but kept most of them since they were by the same creators mostly.
But anyway, after doing all that the game was still stuck on a black loading screen and the game wouldn't start so I moved my Testing folder (with all new CC) and all my Downloads out. So, my game is back to how it was before I downloaded that 300+ files of CC. It doesn't have any CC currently that wasn't on there when it was running just fine...but it's still not opening. It should be since it was running just fine with what's on there now previously so I'm really confused what I did wrong now. I dunno if I deleted something that I shouldn't have or what. I was being pretty cautious of what I was deleting so (mostly just duplicates and some conflicting files that I didn't want that bad anyway) I have no idea.

Does anyone else feel like playing this game with CC is more of headache than it's worth? I'm CONSTANTLY having issues after downloading CC. Even after running it all through Dashboard, Clean Installer, ect.
I download a lot of CC from Tumblr and other Sim blogs from other sites and sites in different languages. I often don't know if those are safe places to download from. I'm forever trying to weed out bad CC. Yet I can't stop downloading it. Once you think you have enough for now, you find more awesome stuff! Gah!

Anyway, can anyone help?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 9:54 AM
It's possible that you now have a corrupt game folder. Or something got installed to one of the files in DCCache and just removing that item from Downloads is not going to get rid of it. The most effective (though also painful) solution for that is to pull your entire game folder out of Documents to your Desktop thus forcing the game to create a new one on its next launch and just start over with store and custom downloaded content, rebuilding your installed collection from scratch.

I have no intention of playing without CC. But no matter how much inspection one can do prior to installing them, I don't think I've ever added more 10-15 pieces at a time without starting up the game to verify they are present and not causing problems. Over 300 at once is, I'm afraid, asking for trouble.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 10:36 PM
You can try cutting them in half and putting them in game to see if it works. If it does then you know the problem is in the other half. This is called the 50 percent method. You just keep doing this until you figure out what is causing the problem. CC in sims 3 has and always will be a royal pain in the butt.

NEVER ever put that many things in your game at once.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Persian
You can try cutting them in half and putting them in game to see if it works. If it does then you know the problem is in the other half. This is called the 50 percent method. You just keep doing this until you figure out what is causing the problem. CC in sims 3 has and always will be a royal pain in the butt.

NEVER ever put that many things in your game at once.

This is the method that I always use when finding problem CC. But often for me it seems to be more than 1 file causing an issue. Especially seeing as how I downloaded way too many at once. It will be incredibly difficult for me to only put 10-15 items in at a time but if it will alleviate my headache a bit then I'm gonna have to start. I just go on these CC binges and find tons of stuff that I want all at once. =P

Also, igazor, when you say remove my game folder do you mean the DCCache folder?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eringobragh22
Also, igazor, when you say remove my game folder do you mean the DCCache folder?

You could try it that way; it's not like there are infinitely many other places within the game folder for "bad" CC to be hiding. Maybe DCBackup, although I keep that empty except for ccmerged.package anyway.

But I did mean remove and rebuild the entire TS3 game folder -- the whole thing. At least, that's probably what I would do if ever faced with what you have described.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 1:09 AM
Although a pain in the butt, you can always save your entire game file to a separate file in pictures or something, and reload the game. Run it with no CC to make sure its okay, then pull individual files from your saved Sims 3 game file, and add them back, mods OR sims3packs,then the other, and run again to see if one or the other has something in it that screwed your game up... or, just a glitch. I've never had any problem with Dashboard missing bad files, but don't have Clean Installer. Does it work with TS3? Then you can add back your saved game files and pick up where you left off.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Mar 2016 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
You could try it that way; it's not like there are infinitely many other places within the game folder for "bad" CC to be hiding. Maybe DCBackup, although I keep that empty except for ccmerged.package anyway.

But I did mean remove and rebuild the entire TS3 game folder -- the whole thing. At least, that's probably what I would do if ever faced with what you have described.

So, I actually just ended up pulling only the DCCache folder out of my game folder. That of course deleted my saved games but I had only just started playing again after years anyway so my families were barely played yet. But my created families were still in the bin so I didn't mind. But all the CC is working. Though I did end up deleting stuff that I liked and that worked in my process of going through stuff. I always seem to accidentally delete stuff that I was using.
Site Helper
#8 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 4:08 AM
I don't delete anymore. I move it into a folder outside the game named "Removed from Sims 3"
Then when I discover that something didn't make it back in when it should have, I can go to the folder and pull it out.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I don't delete anymore. I move it into a folder outside the game named "Removed from Sims 3"
Then when I discover that something didn't make it back in when it should have, I can go to the folder and pull it out.

Yeah, I usually do that as well when I'm manually moving CC. But I was deleting stuff through Dashboard cuz I was desperate to get my game working. So, I wasn't being very careful of what I was deleting. Some of what was listed as duplicates weren't actually duplicates and I think I may have deleted a few of those.

Anyway, I'm having an issue again with the game opening. Except this time it crashes during the second loading screen (the town loading). It loads almost completely but crashes right before the green bar fills up all the way. Could this again be a CC issue or maybe a lot?
I'm dreading sorting through CC again with this issue though since it takes a good 15 minutes before it crashes so it will be a lengthy process. )=
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 10:13 PM
I'm having the same issue. I put modded hacked objects in the Downloads / Mods folder and they are NOT , absolutely NOT, showing up in the game. I wonder if they have denied us of using hacked objects. please help me with this issue
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jazzkitty
I'm having the same issue. I put modded hacked objects in the Downloads / Mods folder and they are NOT , absolutely NOT, showing up in the game. I wonder if they have denied us of using hacked objects. please help me with this issue

I don't know exactly what you mean by "hacked" objects, that doesn't sound entirely kosher whereas "custom content" is and "mods" are. But in any event, there shouldn't be a Mods folder in Downloads. That's not how TS3 package based content works.

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files
Site Helper
#12 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 2:53 AM
I don't know about jazzkitty, but I have heard the term "hacked" object used for scripted objects. I even used to use it for things like the batbox and insiminator in Sims 2.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Forum Resident
#13 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 10:16 PM
Default Organizing CC
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj

I also have my .package files organized into files in the download file. I have a file for accessories, clutter, furniture, stuff like that, anyway,
that way, if something is really causing me problems and the utility programs aren't catching anything, I can pull one type of cc out at a time.
It helps target what is really causing the issue, file by file instead of 300 .package files lumped together. Lately, I downloaded a really cool pipe organ.
It works great in-game, but the lag was unbearable. I narrowed it down to the organ pipes by pulling my 'music' folder to my desktop.
I can have the organs, but not the pipes for some reason. Then the hard part comes, choosing what I can live without. Since the organs are so cool,
I can live without the pipes. Didn't want to give them up, they look great here on this website, but no choice....
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Apr 2016 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I don't know exactly what you mean by "hacked" objects, that doesn't sound entirely kosher whereas "custom content" is and "mods" are. But in any event, there shouldn't be a Mods folder in Downloads. That's not how TS3 package based content works.

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files

Just for the fun of it, brings me back you know?
back when I had the sims original, i remember we often used *hack*, *mod* came after, term-speaking. i created a few hacked objects...and for me, this was an object that does something different of what it was supposed to. It was indeed modified, but i *hacked* it. It was probably a bad term..but many used it.
I would send you to my OLD Sims 1 download page, but I am kind of..ashamed. lol

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#15 Old 21st Jul 2016 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simorph
I also have my .package files organized into files in the download file. I have a file for accessories, clutter, furniture, stuff like that, anyway,
that way, if something is really causing me problems and the utility programs aren't catching anything, I can pull one type of cc out at a time.
It helps target what is really causing the issue, file by file instead of 300 .package files lumped together.

Yes, Yes, you are right. Sorry. I mean my 'mods' folder. I get confused sometimes since cc is downloaded. There's basically two ways. The launcher fills the 'downloads' folder and I fill the 'mods' folder. I use Delphy's Simpack3 Extractor to unpack everything possible (don't forget to check the 'rename' box so you have real file names instead of 9xcc3deeo00fdk23001 blah blah blah). Anyway, then I take those unpacked files over to my 'mods' folder to incorporate with my other package files. This way Delphy's Dashboard can check them all. I steer clear of loading patterns, lots, and worlds in my 'mods' folder. Those I let the launcher take care of. Just can't get worlds and lots to work correctly and patterns get corrupted somehow. Doesn't crash my game, but I get intermittent freezes, and when I try to recolor, I get the 'materializing materials' freeze. Better to let the launcher take care of them. But if I can keep my 'downloads' (launcher generated) folder to a minimum it really frees up my game.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2016 at 1:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simorph
Yes, Yes, you are right. Sorry. I mean my 'mods' folder. I get confused sometimes since cc is downloaded. There's basically two ways. The launcher fills the 'downloads' folder and I fill the 'mods' folder. I use Delphy's Simpack3 Extractor to unpack everything possible (don't forget to check the 'rename' box so you have real file names instead of 9xcc3deeo00fdk23001 blah blah blah). Anyway, then I take those unpacked files over to my 'mods' folder to incorporate with my other package files. This way Delphy's Dashboard can check them all. I steer clear of loading patterns, lots, and worlds in my 'mods' folder. Those I let the launcher take care of. Just can't get worlds and lots to work correctly and patterns get corrupted somehow. Doesn't crash my game, but I get intermittent freezes, and when I try to recolor, I get the 'materializing materials' freeze. Better to let the launcher take care of them. But if I can keep my 'downloads' (launcher generated) folder to a minimum it really frees up my game.

Ooh, and in case I stated that wrong, I do mean my "documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims3/mods/packages" folder.