Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 10:17 AM
Default Rule Changes Regarding Pictured Pay Content
We here at MTS are happy to be a part of the free community for sims content. We have a commitment to keeping the content at MTS 100% free, and have pledged to never make you pay for content here, ever. That won't ever change.

For several years now, our upload guidelines have required the use of all free/EA content in your screenshots. The idea behind this is to promote the use of all free content, and so MTS is not used as free advertising for pay content. While we still do believe in the fundamental principle behind this concept, for practical purposes, the rules are changing.

What is changing?

From now on, you can show pay content in your screenshots, as long as the content is not required for your upload itself. That means that if you upload, for example, a lipstick, the hair can be a pay item on your sim model wearing your lipstick... Or if you upload a couch, a plant shown in the screenshots of your couch can be pay.

This does not apply to items where the content pictured is required for the upload - this means for sims, lots, neighborhoods/worlds, CAS screens, pets, etc., all content actually pictured as part of the upload itself must still be free from its original creator. If you are recolouring or retexturing a mesh, then the original mesh must also be free.

Why is this changing?

The reasons for this are several.

First, it is extremely disheartening for a creator to take screenshots of their item and then not be able to get the upload accepted because of something that's pay just happens to be in the screenshots too. This goes double for those situations where an uploader was completely unaware the item was pay in the first place, like hairs that have been retextured by a third party and the mesh included, but no mention of it being a pay item originally (*coughAnubiscough* ).

Second, our upload moderators are unpaid volunteers, and the time and effort it takes to moderate the uploads here can be significant. Often, moderators found they were able to very quickly determine the quality of an upload was good and met our standards, but they would spend a long time trying to track down where the hair on a model was from. This meant that the bulk of the moderation time for some areas was simply trying to locate a particular hairstyle - which is not the real purpose of having uploads moderated here at MTS.

Third, and probably most important, we're trying to simplify the upload process in many ways. We want it to be as simple and easy as possible to upload here at MTS, so we are trying our best to overhaul our guidelines and systems to cut out anything that isn't absolutely necessary. We will be making further changes in future - some of it softening areas of the guidelines like this, a new upload wizard with increased functionality, and a complete change of the method we use for moderating uploads.

Most of this is still in the works and hasn't yet been implemented, but we will let you know as things progress.

What happens to existing uploads?

Crediting hairs used in pics is no longer an MTS requirement. However, you may still want to do it regardless, since otherwise you might find yourself swamped with people asking where you got that pretty hair from.

If you currently have an upload in the moderation queue, and have received a Changes Required message asking you to credit hairs or remove pay content from your screenshots, you do not need to make these changes. Make the other changes, then mark the upload as ready.
If you receive a Changes Required in future which asks you to credit a hair or remove a pay hair, please forgive us; mods are only human, and we've been doing things the same way for a long time. Just use the notes box on the upload to point out the mod's mistake.

We have updated the Creator Guidelines to reflect this change. If you find a mention of pictured pay content which we have forgotten to update, please let us know.

In closing...

You can still use all free content in your uploads here, and we highly encourage you to do so. You can always find nice free hairs to put on your sim models, and we will continue to keep the Hair Gallery for TS2 and TS3 updated. You can also find lots of good free content besides hairs in the Content Lists, and if you know of good sites for content, you are welcome to register a wiki account and help update the Content Lists too!

We hope this change will be a positive step forward in the upload process for both us and you, and we look forward to continued improvements very soon.

Happy simming!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
10 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 11:35 AM
Cool, so I can use mirrored floors in my screenshots now. Or does this not apply to TSR items?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 12:02 PM
Yes, you can use any content in your screenshots - it applies to TSR items as well. The rules for TSR items remains the same for those items that are -required- for the upload (sims, lots, neighborhoods/worlds, CAS screens, pets, etc.) but if you're uploading an object or whatever and it's just something in the background, well, we still encourage the use of all free content, but whatever.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 1:10 PM
I believe there is a free version of mirrored floors available somewhere... I can't actually remember off the top of my head who made them, but they were not stolen from TSR.

ETA actually is't the single-tile TSR version free anyway?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 1:12 PM
For TS3, Morphead made free mirror floors. I'm not aware of any for TS2, though.

is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 1:12 PM
They were Morphead's rugs.

edit: Sniped by White, dagnab those lightning fingers!

edit for Inge: The entire set by Murano is free.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 7:40 PM
Thank you so much, Ill probably never upload any "objects" and the such but when I read the guidelines I was a little concerned that I may take a picture and my sim could be wearing say, one of newseas old hairs etc... and I have NO idea which of my mods were paid/free as I no longer have any subscriptions but did have a TSR one years and years ago before they turned so erm... unsavory
Banned
#8 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 12:14 AM Last edited by Sims99Fanatic : 30th Sep 2012 at 12:29 AM.
I was talking about the TS2 mirrored floors. And yes, I was only planning on including them in screenshots where they are not required such as taking a picture of a dining set I uploaded with the mirrored floors shown in the pic.
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 3:43 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!:]
Banned
#10 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 6:58 AM
Are you Cher's son, Elijah? That's his name you know - Elijah Blue Allman.
Instructor
#11 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 10:30 AM
Hooray!

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 2:52 AM
I think I noticed a slight error in the Creator Guidelines under "Regarding Pictured and Pay Content" or something like that and under the one called "Content Allowed".
On the bullet point TSR Free Content: it states that we can only use free content from TSR:
"You can use free items at TSR in MTS uploads. Any pay items - that is, ANY items by "Featured Artists" (FAs) at TSR cannot be used as their pay/free status does still change."
I'm not sure if they meant that we can't make it required for downloads, only in screenshots, but I think this part is an error.

"If I had a dollar for every brain you don't have, I'd have one dollar." -Squidward Q. Tentacles
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sims2sims2
I think I noticed a slight error in the Creator Guidelines under "Regarding Pictured and Pay Content" or something like that and under the one called "Content Allowed".
On the bullet point TSR Free Content: it states that we can only use free content from TSR:
"You can use free items at TSR in MTS uploads. Any pay items - that is, ANY items by "Featured Artists" (FAs) at TSR cannot be used as their pay/free status does still change."
I'm not sure if they meant that we can't make it required for downloads, only in screenshots, but I think this part is an error.

No idea if its a super recent update but the page seems to be now called Regarding Required Pay Content although yeah the link still stays regarding pictures/required content, I think its actually the link text thats misleading
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#14 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 6:23 AM
sims2sims2- It's like it says. No PAY content from TSR by Featured Artists can be included in downloads. Featured Artists FREE stuff can't be used either because it could be free today and subscription-only tomorrow.

What has changed is that PAY content can be shown in screenshots now. You still can't include it in a download.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 8:51 AM
Does this also apply to sims stories and images hosted on other sites?

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#16 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 9:07 AM
We never had any restriction on what you could have in your pictures/stories - it was only just for uploads.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 11:19 AM
Thank you so much for telling me HystericalParoxysm!

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 3:26 AM
Sorry about that if I made the mistake, lol but I think I found another one in the Body Shop Creator Guidelines, in the last one under "Crediting Custom Hairs". It states crediting custom hairs isn't optional but in this post it states it is...a bit confusing. Sorry to be a bother!

"If I had a dollar for every brain you don't have, I'd have one dollar." -Squidward Q. Tentacles
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 3:25 AM
Woohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Any machinima support or tips sent to me will be VERY much appreciated!
I love the MTS Community!
Field Researcher
#20 Old 5th Oct 2012 at 1:55 PM
Finally, thank you MTS! That is my main problem. It will only be in pictures though. I like hair, what can I say. ;-) <3
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 7th Oct 2012 at 1:44 PM
Thanks, sims2sims2, that's fixed.

Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Mar 2013 at 4:34 PM
glad to see MTS is sticking with the free rules