Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 8:08 PM
Default A Child Murdered an Old Woman
I heard about it last night. Yes, he had a history of violent fits, but his parents let him stay where they knew his grandfather was caring for a 90-year-old woman. The woman yelled at the boy to get out of her room, and he beat her to death for that. Maybe it was an accident, but why? Why would he kill a defenseless old woman? *cries* My last grandparent died about a year or so ago and it'll be hella hard once March comes around again. Why can't parents discipline their kids so this shit doesn't happen? It's just cruel, hurting an elderly person who needs in-home care and probably has to use a walker or wheelchair, and maybe even needs help to use the toilet and bathe.

Sorry. This just made me cry.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 9:16 PM
I think you should move this to the debate room, I have a feeling this will turn into a heated debate.

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Theorist
#3 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 9:33 PM
http://gawker.com/cops-charge-10-ye...90-y-1646326265
Do you mean this one?

Tristen "Killa" Kurilla. To be charged as an adult because Pennsylvania Law never thought that a child could commit murder. This little sociopath choked her with a cane and then punched her five times in the face and five in the stomach. Okay, he didn't know any better. A 90 year old body can't take that kind of abuse. He should never have been put into that situation, as his mother admitted he had a history of mental difficulties. This guy doesn't understand cruel, elderly frailty, refraining from violence, and consequences. Said he just wanted to hurt her. He needs help, therapy, and possibly medication.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 10:30 PM
JD....It is just horrible and tragic. I feel it's also necessary to point out that the news organizations thrive on this type of story, the ones that cause their viewers to have strong emotional reactions. There have always been horrible awful things going on. Maybe we can change that or some of it, but not if we get sucked up in the emotions that are being played. Turn off the news. Take a break. Find balance again. There is also much that is wonderful in the world and in mankind. (((HUGS))) It's because of your good heart that it hurts you so.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:15 PM
Thanks *hug back*. Didn't really know about the debate forum, but it's just that I care a lot about kids, the elderly and animals. I mean, my parents taught me not to tease the animals, back when I had problems like that, and mind you I used to be a terror. Used to tease the dogs, and do lots of other things, but I learned that animals have feelings too. Kids need to learn to consider the feelings of others.

It's one of the reasons why I get so angry when I hear about people molesting children. I lived across the street from a kid-fiddler, and my mom and I visited him and his wife a few times. I was maybe four or five at that time and at least a couple times he seemed to be motioning for me to follow him. If my mom hadn't insisted that I stay with her, I would have been hurt. Lotsa fridge horror there. A neighbourhood girl got molested by him later on, and I imagine what could have happened to me, and how those children feel when being molested. Got a tiny taste of that feeling of personal space being invaded when a guy who bought me a drink tried (and eventually succeeded in) kissing me on the mouth, and I still get that yucky feeling when I think about it. Makes me think about how those kids feel.

As for the news, there are a lot of good things shown on the news too, like a cop getting charged for using excessive force on an unarmed black man after pulling him over for a supposed seat belt violation. Also, remember that report about the bus monitor who was bullied by some nasty kids? Someone started up a fundraiser so that sweet old lady could retire in style. It exceeded the goal by about 100% or more. So yes, I do know there is a lot of good in this world, but we should encourage parents to teach their kids kindness, compassion and empathy. We should also teach them respect for their elders.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:24 PM
I totally agree with you - children need to be taught compassion and kindness. For some, that may not be enough, as in the case of socio-paths. The child is mentally ill. She should have been watched more closely. I bet it's very hard for the parents to acknowledge their child is that ill, that wrong, but they needed to acknowledge it to protect others. My heart goes out to all...it's all so sad.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 12:26 AM
I know. Sociopaths are made, not born though. Parents need to be consistent in both love and discipline so the child has a firm foundation. They need to know that everyone has thoughts and feelings, and they aren't just watching everything from an otherwise empty theater.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 1:13 AM
That's not really known at this time, whether they are made or born. I thought I had read that they believe they are born with a deficiency (empathy and understanding others), but that does not necessarily mean that they will harm others. It's also possible that the child was not a sociopath, but had some other personality disorder. In any case, that's a really hard pill to swallow for a parent, to realize that your child is so very different and will never lead a normal life. I've seen a lot of parents struggle between understanding what their child needs and wishing/believing they are like everyone else in cases where their kids who had far less harmful and extreme diagnosis. Like you, I tend to believe that it's possible to reach anyone and to give them the upbringing and training they need to function in society. But, no family should have to deal with this on their own. It's draining.

In any case, it is wrong that the elderly woman, who having survived so many years, should have ended them that way. She deserved to die peacefully. This is very sad for her, her family, and the family of the little murderer as well as for the little murderer herself. Sad, sick, and wrong.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 2:00 AM
Yeah. I think someone should find out about her family and maybe start a donation for them, and for a funeral for her. I believe that we as humans have the choice to control our destructive impulses, and we should exercise that choice. I know people can have mental problems, but there are ways to treat them. It's kinda strange how after parents started getting more and more permissive, their kids started turning into hellions. A few decades ago, shit like this was unheard of.
Scholar
#10 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 9:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
A few decades ago, shit like this was unheard of.
Sorry, but crazy psychopathic murderers have been around for some time now.
I'm not trying to provoke, I just think it was a pretty shortsighted comment. There has been murder, rape and assault for as long as humanity has existed, and I think there's more underlying reasons to this than just "parents being too nice".
That said, this is a pretty horrific case, and i think it's good that he's being tried as an adult.

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 10:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Yeah. I think someone should find out about her family and maybe start a donation for them, and for a funeral for her. I believe that we as humans have the choice to control our destructive impulses, and we should exercise that choice. I know people can have mental problems, but there are ways to treat them. It's kinda strange how after parents started getting more and more permissive, their kids started turning into hellions. A few decades ago, shit like this was unheard of.
Not really, it's not about parenting, not quite the way you think. I've worked with kids on the spectrum who hit, bite, and kick. One would say, "I'm sorry" after punching you, then punch you again. His words were not empty. He was sorry, he was also mad. He couldn't handle his conflicting emotions. No amount of discipline, whether delivered gently or forcibly, would stop the behavior. If anything, reacting to it in any way would simply reinforce and sometimes escalate the behavior. You can't reach such children through normal means. You clearly have a good heart, JD, which is why this bothers you. Those with certain mental illnesses simply do not reason or respond the way the rest of us do.

Theorist
#12 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
You clearly have a good heart, JD, which is why this bothers you. Those with certain mental illnesses simply do not reason or respond the way the rest of us do.

You'd think that, until you read some of the other threads where they talk about performing human experiments on criminals, then you'd realize that if that's "heart" then it's a damned evil zoo in this world all the way down to the bottom.
Instructor
#13 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 7:47 PM
People die everyday...no matter if you're young,old,sad,happy or crippeled you experience death and its effect all the time. Not everyone can deal with that.