Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Icy Spicy
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 8:04 PM
Default How to change the slots of a harvestable plant?
I have meshed a bamboo stem as a custom harvestable plant. From the picture included it can be seen that the harvestables are looking odd on the newly meshed plant.I want to adjust the slots so that the harvestables( bamboo shoots) are closer to the plant( bamboo stem) and also facing downwards.Is it possible to change the position of the bamboo shoot ?

I can always mesh a cluster of bamboo stems so that the odd positioning is not visible but I do not want the poly count to be too high
Screenshots
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 8:31 PM
Oh boy, this is the third thread in a row about a similar subject.
And for the third time I can only speculate.

I'd try just changing the (containment?) slots in the RSLT of the plant.
There's a plugin for Blender to import .slot files, so if you open both the
mesh and the slot file you'll be able to see exactly where the slots are
(and move them to get the new coordinates, I'm not sure if you can
also export the edited slot, otherwise you edit the coordinates with
S3PE's Grid).

Maybe also editing the _RIG is needed.
Icy Spicy
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 8:42 PM
I managed to change the container slots in TSRW so that the slots are flush with my mesh.I changed the co-ordinates to something like (0,H,0) where H=the height of the slot with relation to my mesh.But I cannot figure out what values to change for rotation of the slots

Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
Oh boy, this is the third thread in a row about a similar subject.
And for the third time I can only speculate.

Maybe us simmers have developed some sort of synchronized thought process ( I was moving in and out of TSRW,Blender,Milkshape and game for the past few hours and didn't notice the other thread )
Inventor
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 9:00 PM
Let me think... when I made the Onigiri I had to work on the rotation of a joint of the _RIG so that the rice ball
looked good when a Sim held it in his hand during the eating animation.

IIRC the values are from 0 to 180 (and also from 0 to -180) and they indicate the degree of rotation on each axis
(this was for the rig, I don't know if the rotation of a slot works the same way).
EDIT: you can specify the value as degrees thanks to S3PE's rig editor, then those values are translates into...
I don't know, something else, rotation matrix maybe.

But I could be very wrong. If no-one else answer, just go with trial and error.
Icy Spicy
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 9:22 PM
I can see that the transformation of slots in TSRW corresponds to Rot in RSLT.It is some thing like:

Quote:
--- SlottedPartList: Containers (0x6) ---
--- Containers[0] ---
SlotName: 0x4193FB8E
BoneName: 0xD95F91C1
SlotPlacementFlags: 0x00000008 (Small)
X: Rot1: 1; Rot2: 0; Rot3: 0; Pos: 0
Y: Rot1: 0; Rot2: 1; Rot3: 0; Pos: 0.3
Z: Rot1: 0; Rot2: 0; Rot3: 1; Pos: 0

I changed the Pos in TSRW but couldn't change the other values( which was called transformation) in TSRW.I will try and change the Rot value with s3pe.Why are there 3 Rot values for each coordinate? Or is only the 1st Rot value for X, 2nd Rot value for Y and so on, relevant?
Inventor
#6 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 10:11 AM Last edited by Arsil : 4th Jun 2015 at 10:26 AM.
I wish I could help you, but I really have no clue.
I tried reading some stuff in this forum, but these concepts are really hard for me.

Pos should be an offset (so it's used to move the slot along that axis).

If each axis only takes a "Rot value" for the relative coordinate (X only Rot1 and so on) and that value is 1.
then it means there's no rotation whatsoever.

I'm not sure what the valid values for the Rot fields are (are they sin or cosin of the angle?),
they seem to range between -1 and 1 (maybe are normalized vectors?).

Maybe these can help:
http://modthesims.info/t/400992
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...5#startcomments (be careful, some info in the earlier posts may be outdated)
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RotationMatrix.html

Check also if the Blender's plugin "slot editor" by cmomoney allow to rotate them "visually"
and then export the modified slots.

Uh, also be careful to put in a position that works well with the animation.
Well, the animation is very generic but try to avoid clipping or things like that.
Icy Spicy
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 3:25 PM Last edited by icemunmun : 5th Jun 2015 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Adding Pics
Thank you so much for all you have done.I am going to look into the thread you linked to and see what i can learn from them.And also I am going to experiment with the blender plug-in for slots.But my sick leave is almost over so I am going to be slow
In the meantime I have made a cluster of bamboo stems so that the harvestables do not look so odd.

Edit: Instead of rotating I moved the container slots into the mesh( by giving negative values to pos x ).This way the harvestables are not visible and does not look odd.After all they are harvesting the shoot/stem itself
Screenshots