Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 2:41 AM
Default Help! trying to create moustaches
I haven't been able to find a tut on making mustaches and beards .Are there any around?
I learned how to make multicolor makeup and tried to make a mustache using that knowledge.
But the thing is there aren't any masks , just images. I'm not sure what they are for and I can't find a tut to explain things. There are two normal images and three black ones (I imagine they are some kind of masks?) I was hoping someone could either explain the purpose of the images in facial hair or point me in the direction of a facial hair tutorial.
I actually tried shaving a little off of the beard . I only changed the 2 normal images (not the black ones) with my own trimmed version and it worked.
I'd still like to know what those images are for in case I want to do something more complicated in the future.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 6:23 AM
Most beards and mustaches work similar as a overlay exept the full beard wich has its own mesh

Base texture = grey(no need to change it)
Specular = used to create a specific light(ning) on some area's
Ambient = white(no need to change it)
Overlay = red(no need to change it)
Control = this texture control wich parts can be colored(normally 3 layers wich you can blend if you like)
Diffuse = controls wich parts(area's) of the mesh are transparant or visible/invisible
Mask = red(no need to change it)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 11:16 AM
Dude, lightning beard?!?! I totally need to redo the little picture for the Fuzzy Wuzzy achievement now.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 11:56 AM
lol, dont know how else to call it...
aint it used to brighten up(or darken) some area;s?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 8:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Most beards and mustaches work similar as a overlay exept the full beard wich has its own mesh

Base texture = grey(no need to change it)
Specular = used to create a specific light(ning) on some area's
Ambient = white(no need to change it)
Overlay = red(no need to change it)
Control = this texture control wich parts can be colored(normally 3 layers wich you can blend if you like)
Diffuse = controls wich parts(area's) of the mesh are transparant or visible/invisible
Mask = red(no need to change it)

So If I were to just change it a little..Like the original mustache that came with the basegame. It's really bad in my opinion. So I took the image and reshaped it in GIMP. And I then I replaced the original image with mine( I'm guessing that was the base texture?).I didn't change anything else. It worked fine and shows up in game fine. I'm just wondering if that's okay. I mean If I decided to share it or use it on a Sim that I shared I don't want it to cause any problems in others games. It isn't causing any problems in mine. I just wanted to check with someone who has more experience creating that I do.