Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 4:18 PM
Default Why wont it run? (Sims 3)
Ive asked for advice before and was told that I needed to get a better graphics card than the one I currently have, which is an integrated card. I was recently explaining this to a friend who knows more about computers than I, and he opened some things and said he didnt see why Sims 3 would not run.

(I can install it with no problems, but when the game loads, it loads to a certain point and then stops.)

Out of curiosity, yesterday I went to a site called yougamers.com and according to their scan, my card has 64mb of memory and the game requires 128. So today I am looking through the specs for the card itself, and this is what it says:

Chip Type: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 series
DAC Type: InternalDAC (400MHz)
MEMORY SIZE: 256MB
Adapater String: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 series

Shouldn't that be enough to run the game? The driver has not been updated in quite a while, should I update the driver? Will updating the driver help the situation any? Ive read that with cards like these you can go into BIOS(?) and allot more memory to the card- is that true? Ive heard rumor that you cannot get Sims 3 to work without uninstalling Sims 2- is that true??

Sorry for so many questions. I really would like to play my Sims 3, however, I really dont want to mess up my computer to do so. Any help/answers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Quote:
Life is not about the amount of breaths you take, it's about the moments that take your breath away.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 4:33 PM
Well, I think your friend must not have looked at the system requirements for the game, because your card is unsupported, and off the low end of the supported cards. It's simply not strong enough to run the game and no amount of driver updates or twiddling will help. Nor will uninstalling TS2 - whoever said you have to uninstall TS2 to play TS3 was flat out wrong.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 8:11 PM
OK thanks then. But just one more quick question if I can. If my card is unsupported, (and supposedly not even strong enough to run 2 after Uni, but runs ALL EPs/5SPs plus tons of cc), then I should not be able to see the open sequence should I?

Because when I launch 3, I can watch the opening movie thing. Its runs without jumping or lagging and the graphics are prefectly fine. I would think that if my graphics card were not strong enough, I shouldnt even be able to run/see that sequence? Or should I?

Thank goodness I asked before uninstalling my Sims 2!

Quote:
Life is not about the amount of breaths you take, it's about the moments that take your breath away.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 8:37 PM
No, just because the game loads does not mean your computer is strong enough to support the game. Watching a short low quality movie (the opening sequence) is not the same as playing the game. HP is right.

You should have a look through both of these guides before you decide to play either game:
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Recommendations
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated! A friend has all the specs on my computer and has a graphics card he does not use, that will work with 3 that he is giving me. Again, thanks for the assistance!

Quote:
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 7:02 PM
Just make sure your power supply will run it. Most computers that have weak graphics don't have a strong enough power supply to run a good card. Info in the stickies will help you check.