Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#76 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 1:37 PM
You're sure? All the majors have images - you must have deleted it or somesuch. Try cloning a different major and exporting the image file, you should then be able to import it into your major.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
You're sure? All the majors have images - you must have deleted it or somesuch. Try cloning a different major and exporting the image file, you should then be able to import it into your major.

ok i figured that out now. but when i upload it the tell me that my icon doesnt meet the standards. what does that mean?
Test Subject
#78 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 9:51 PM
Please help!
On the very first step, it says "click on the object workshop". My screen doesn't look like that, it doesn't have the tabs. So I tried clicking on object workshop manually (Tools/Object Creation/Object Workshop...). It won't open at all, no matter how many times I click it. The reason I downloaded SimPE was to make my own careers and now I can't figure out anything about it! Can someone please help me?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 4:31 PM
Well, firstly SnowySwan77, if you want to make careers, why are you following a tutorial for creating majors?

Secondly, it sounds like something went wrong with your SimPE installation - I suggest you go to the SimPE site for help.

hcoaberfitch, the standards for major icons are listed in the Creator Guidelines.

Test Subject
#80 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 2:48 PM
Default Making a Major
First of all,
Great Tutorial!

I've just got 1 problem
Everytime I get to the second half of year 2,
my game quits

Why is that?

I've uploaden my major,
But PLEASE DON'T DOWNLOAD unless you want to help
I can't guarantee it'll work
It's my first upload
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Mysterie.rar (2.8 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Mystery Major
Instructor
#81 Old 13th May 2010 at 1:39 AM
Default Can You Find What's Wrong?
I followed your tutorial and it worked super well, except that my class titles aren't changing. I am using a new version of Sim PE (0.72) (AL) and FrikaC's Majors Made Easier. Do you have any ideas on fixing it?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Asian Language Studies.rar (7.6 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Top Secret Researcher
#82 Old 22nd May 2010 at 1:01 AM Last edited by billielith : 22nd May 2010 at 6:07 AM.
Awesome tutorial! Thank you very much for sharing such interesting knowledge. I think I made something cool out of it, too!

Edit : I've realized that the "Focused Skills" remain the same as for the cloned major, despite diffences in the skill building along the major. My custom major focused on the same Skills than Literature, but I didn't realize it, and cloned History instead. Well, "Body" is one of my focused skills and gets up to 4 along the major, but it never showed up in the list of Focused skills, it kept "Charisma, Creativity, Mechanical, Logic" from the History major. So I have to redo this all over again, cloning the Literature major, lol.

Question : This tutorial has been posted a few years ago, in the meantime did anyone find out how to 1) change the learning-points icon 2) link a custom major to a career, because even the Maxis careers linked to History (the one from which I cloned) didn't show up in my Custom major "Ideal careers" panel.

Thanks

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 10:20 PM
JodiFreak, that's usually caused by broken skills - TS2 is very fussy about how many skill requirements you can have for each semester; that's why I included the table.

van Dorn, you haven't hit the Default Lang Only button. If you look at all the language strings other than US English, they all still contain the original EA titles.

Instructor
#84 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 10:31 PM
Thanks Whiterider! Great tutorial!

Test Subject
#85 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 2:45 PM
So you dont add your major to the downloads file?

MATHGIRLKY CREATIONS
Test Subject
#86 Old 7th Dec 2010 at 3:51 AM
Uh-oh, I think I'm in trouble...

I didn't thank you for the tutorial in my recent submission of the IlluminiSim major I created, so here it is now - a maxis-big ta-heaps thankyou to let everyone know how much I appreciated the tutorial.

As an aside, I too am looking to make a deeper cut in the game rather than a bunch of little scratches on the surface: an idea where I would start looking in regards to manipulating the 'College - Research...' icon/term paper icon/assignments icon so it displays my custom major, and not the cloned major? I thought if I gave the whole package a specific group assignment (achieved by initially typing the name of the major into the NREF window of the same file and using the group id generated automatically for the rest of the file) it might have worked, but all that did was cause the game to crash out on me - luckily I had saved the 'pre-breaking-the-game' package separately... I'll keep trying, but as I'm still relatively new to this programming/hacking/modding thing, it might take me a really long time.

Once again; cheers, big-ears! :D
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 7th Dec 2010 at 6:42 PM
You're very welcome, Abrahadarba. I looked into changing those icons a long time ago, but I never got anywhere I'm afraid. I also poked around in the NREFs trying to manipulate linked careers, but with a similar lack of success.

Yes you do, mathgirlky. I guess I assumed creators can figure that out .

Test Subject
#88 Old 17th Dec 2010 at 9:48 AM
This worked great, I haven't read through the other replies, but in case you didn't know, there's a file in the BCONs, Tuning - Start Hour, that lets you choose when classes start, "Tuning - Hours per Day" allows you to change hours that classes take up, and other BCONs seem to control basically everything about the classes for those wanting to get into detail with the points things are worth.
Test Subject
#89 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 2:40 PM
Everything is working fine except for the class descriptions. They are the same ones that the major i cloned from (Literature). when i checked with SimPE, i saw the descriptions that i wrote. is that supposed to happen? please reply

"Why do you think Dumbeldore left you that book, Miss Granger?" asked Scrimgeour.
"He ... he knew I liked books, said Hermione in a thick voice, mopping her eyes with her sleeve.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows (Bloomsbury)
Pg.143
line19-22
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#90 Old 15th May 2011 at 1:35 AM
Did you make sure to click Default Lang Only?

Instructor
#91 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 6:26 PM
Err... What do the skill gates do? I'm not really sure what a skill gate is, but I want to have a totally unique major. So what are skill gates and how do you change them? Thanks for the tutorial!

Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 2nd Jul 2011 at 4:44 PM
I don't know - I believe they control the number of skill points at which each grade bubble becomes available, but I don't know how, and I've never tried editing them. If you figure them out, let me know!

Test Subject
#93 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 3:05 AM
Thanks so much for this lovely tutorial. It was so simple even I could follow it! XD
I did have one tiny issue but my first major still works - it just gives an error message when I select 'yes' that I want my sim to change to it. The error doesn't prevent them from switching to the new major, but I'm not sure why it does it all the same. It says: "missing neighbor for data access," claiming the error is with the sim (it said her name anyway.) I checked by switching to a couple different majors and it's definitely the custom one I made and not any others. Any thoughts?
If not, no worries. You've definitely done more than enough!
Field Researcher
#94 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 9:09 AM
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4268376

My custom career is working fantastically, except that the "Ideal Careers" are blank and the diploma reads "Undeclared". Is there a solution to my problem or is it supposed to be like this? Please help!
Test Subject
#95 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 5:26 PM
This is an amazing tutorial and helped me a lot already, I have a question though.
I want to OVERRIDE an existing major ( all 11 of them actually).
What do I do differently? Do I just "forget" the GUID part, or do I uncheck some boxes at the cloning? Please help.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#96 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 7:17 PM
What exactly is it that you want to do? If you want to replace an EA major with a totally different custom one, then yeah, just skip the GUID step. If you just want to, say, modify some of the titles for an EA major but keep the rest the same, it might be better to just override individual resources, so that your override is less likely to conflict with others. If that's what you want to do, I'll explain how.

Test Subject
#97 Old 1st May 2014 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
What exactly is it that you want to do? If you want to replace an EA major with a totally different custom one, then yeah, just skip the GUID step. If you just want to, say, modify some of the titles for an EA major but keep the rest the same, it might be better to just override individual resources, so that your override is less likely to conflict with others. If that's what you want to do, I'll explain how.

Yes, I'd like unique titles, descriptions and class titles for all of them, as well as different skill sets. And different career linkings as well. In this threas I read it's not figured out how to do that yet, but since then Phaenoh did it, right? here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=460959
I don't think i want to change anything else but I'll see when I am at it.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#98 Old 1st May 2014 at 6:26 PM
Yeah, since I wrote this tutorial, Phae has worked out that the links between careers and majors are saved in the career's files, not the major's files. So we know how to do it now, and we also know that it has nothing to do with making custom majors .

Test Subject
#99 Old 9th May 2014 at 3:46 PM
Okay, I made 3 overrides so far. Did everything the way you described in the tutorial. Left out the GUID part completely. Left out the custom icon too, since I won't be needing that.
I'm only using one right now. It crashes my game at the loading screen.
I took my file and deleted some things from it that I didn't change. (eg: skill gates or grading-class files) Now I can see at the major choosing panel that the major title and the description differs. Cool! But once my sim chooses this major and I click OK my game crashes.
So I took my file and deleted every part I didnt change. ( Image, Function-Main, Function-Init, Tuning-General, semi-global file, and so on). Now only the skill changes and description changes remain + the object data. It's crashing the game once again at the loading screen.
I also tried deleting the object data as well, with this there are no crashes but the mod does not work at all.
Any idea what I should do? It's probably quite stupid what I tried but I had no better guess.
I also thought that maybe I shouldn't tick everything while I'm cloning the file? (I have no idea what those boxes do. )
Test Subject
#100 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 11:31 AM
Thank you for a great tutorial. I made my first major this week and it is working fine so far.

For anyone wondering about the skill gates, I messed aroud a little with them today, and I am pretty sure the number for every semester says how far upp on the grade meter the "fillable bubble" shoud go. So if a major only require 2 skills the first semester for example, then the BCON named "Grading - Skill Gate 0" should be a number between 0 and 1000 describing how far upp the bubble will go with no skills. Then fill upp a higher number on skill gate 1, fill in 1000 on skill gate 2, and 0 on all higher numbers.
I am sure someone figured it out long ago but i could not find anything so maybe this helpes someone
Page 4 of 4