Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 10:41 AM Last edited by haricots : 9th Oct 2013 at 2:03 PM.
Default New words that you just can't get rid of!
This goes for you non-English-native-speakers out there (like me, I'm an Indonesian HURRAY). However you native speakers of English can also participate in this.

Have you ever found a new word in English, be it the proper, well-mannered kind of English or those punkish-hooligans (or whatever ._.) kind of English, that somehow gets stuck in your mind and you just can't seem to get rid of it? Like, you keep wanting to say that word for the whole day (or in my case, one whole freaking week) just because you're too fascinated by that word? Share 'em here!

Mine is "flabbergasted", I got this random fetish(?)-over-words for this word last week. I think today is the first day I actually can forget about this word for the whole day. I'm flabbergasted by it! (Oh here it goes..)

So, what's yours?

Hey there! :)
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 4:38 AM
Hey haricots! A valid alternative to flabbergasted is gobsmacked.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 6:46 PM
Balderdash!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Oct 2013 at 8:24 PM
Blithering!

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Scholar
#5 Old 12th Oct 2013 at 4:13 PM
When I learned Spanish these were my favorites:

*Zapatos - Shoes
*Caca - Poop
*Bulto - Bulge

For English:

*Moist
*Slippery

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Theorist
#6 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 4:39 PM
Craptastic

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#7 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 10:47 PM
I love chupa chup in Spanish (it's pronounced choopa choop). It means lollipop, and I just love to say it. I also like arrancado (started), tobillo (ankle), Caracas (actually a city in Venezuela), and quiso (he/she wanted). So you can say ella quiso queso (She wanted cheese), which is just fun.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 1:37 AM
I love how a few words used together completely contradict themselves. For instance

Absolutely Not
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 10:48 AM
While not really stuck in my own mind per say, Fidelity and Embargo seem to be used in the wrong context on a majority of forums I visit. This is why I made a joke about it in my signature.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
#10 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 6:50 PM
Tat'onka in Sioux it means Buffalo it is also slang for calling someone Fat and Lazy

Then there is Tonto and that's Apache for Idiot and Cherokee slang for someone who cannot control there body functions

Ke-mo'sah-bee means Trusted Friend

Native for the win
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 2:19 AM
farfulsnoogan. Namaste.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 9:26 PM
I tend to overuse the word 'discombobulated' - the state in which I stagger through my daily life.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 3:25 AM Last edited by r_deNoube : 27th Oct 2013 at 3:26 AM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by RoseCity
... discombobulated ...
There is hope for you, if the discombobulation happens near Milwaukee's airport .
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 7:26 AM
Doppelganger
Test Subject
#15 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 4:14 PM
Zephyr - Appears to mean breeze
Baku - Japanese for idiot
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 6:19 PM
Being a political scientist and aspiring supervillain, I tend to use the term "Machiavellian" WAY more than any rational person has any business doing...

I'm also partial to "defenestration," just because it seems so ridiculous that we need a specific word for the act of throwing something out a window!
Scholar
#17 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 9:25 PM
Foullingly (Followed by a list of words which are an alternative of "dirty")

Always after my cat has been for a run in the rain and comes in dripping wet.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#18 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 10:16 PM
dongle-horn
Test Subject
#19 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 5:31 AM
Capricious.

I am the most unsavory charlatan.