Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 9:05 PM
Default Is it really worth playing?
I just spent three hours in the game running here and there trying to get off of bleeping tutorial mode so I could you know save and have a life other then run here there and every where. To be honest I was to the point of having my sim jump in the pit and quitting the game and saying f to it. If this is how it's going to be, I don't want to play this game. I do not want this forced you have to do a million and one things before you can save and quit. Yes, right now I am still angry, and my blood pressure is through the roof, but you spend 3 hours trying to save because you thought this would at most take an hour to get going.

This is worse then running through a hoard of zombie looking for a save point, because at least that way you know there is a save point. Here psht.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 9:12 PM
You can save any time after the tutorial. It's any annoyance in the beginning, but once you do it you don't have to do it again. If you don't wish to play the tutorial you can add the line enablegameplaytutorial = 0 to your options.ini in your Medieval folder in your documents. Not sure why they disabled saves in the tutorial, it was pretty annoying for me after a reinstall.
Scholar
#3 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 1:42 AM
I received TSM as gift and at first I really liked it. It offers obviously a lot less freedom then The Sims 3, but it is nice if you like progression through quests etc. I kind of liked it up to the point that I started to play the Smith hero and received my apprentice

He just keeps handing out gifts to other sims in front of a forge or fights with me over the forge or anvil I am using at that point. Having 2 forges/anvils in this way too small house didn't matter much. The metal that is cooling off in real time apparently doesn't care about apprentices or other sims that block your way to the furnace :/

I just can't believe how EA keeps making this kind of ridiculous gameplay. Why can't they just patch out that retarded behaviour of that apprentice. He is supposed to be helpful! And worst of all, my smith can't even duel him to the death. I need my vengeance!
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 8:27 PM
Yeah that's one thing that got me, the doll house type appearance and not much room to put anything anywhere. Not to mention the awkward way you have to try to get around. On youtube people make it look easier.

To bad you couldn't brand your apprentice. I both got the base game and the expansion for 20 bucks I now know why. Speaking of annoying behavior my monarch is an anti-social that hates talking to people, the game keeps giving him wants and quests that requires him to speak to people. I just want to be mean run around and send people to be punushed. Not do mindless quests... But here's a fun thing keep getting a message that he loves to find and pick wildflowers. 0_o what is a monarch supposed to do with them?

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Scholar
#5 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
He just keeps handing out gifts to other sims in front of a forge or fights with me over the forge or anvil I am using at that point. Having 2 forges/anvils in this way too small house didn't matter much. The metal that is cooling off in real time apparently doesn't care about apprentices or other sims that block your way to the furnace :/

I just can't believe how EA keeps making this kind of ridiculous gameplay. Why can't they just patch out that retarded behaviour of that apprentice. He is supposed to be helpful! And worst of all, my smith can't even duel him to the death. I need my vengeance!

There should be a radius around your forge that sims don't loiter in.
Also your apprentice should move out the way as soon as you click the forge or anvil to do something yourself, and the autonomous behavior is there to mimic what that sim's role is supposed to be..
I don't have a problem with any of the apprentice's I've had, but I've made a really quick mod for this anyway.
It doesn't do anything except stop them using the forge and selling stuff, they'll spend their time brushing the floor a lot instead, and occasionally talking to other sims who come in. Like I said really quick mod. I tested it on 2 sims earlier but it was just left running in high speed so you'll have to test it a bit under normal gameplay.
I don't have any problems with the exclusion zone around the forge so I can't say whether or not the loitering sims will still be a problem.
It won't work on any existing apprentice though, so you'll have to kill the one you have just now and the new spawn will be your floor sweeping apprentice.

You can get the mod here if you want to try it out

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...321#post4103321

Alternatively you can move the forge up the stairs and set privacy on that room, or you can put the forge outside, the apprentice shouldn't leave the blacksmith's building during work hours.
Scholar
#6 Old 26th Mar 2013 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
Yeah that's one thing that got me, the doll house type appearance and not much room to put anything anywhere. Not to mention the awkward way you have to try to get around. On youtube people make it look easier.

To bad you couldn't brand your apprentice. I both got the base game and the expansion for 20 bucks I now know why. Speaking of annoying behavior my monarch is an anti-social that hates talking to people, the game keeps giving him wants and quests that requires him to speak to people. I just want to be mean run around and send people to be punushed. Not do mindless quests... But here's a fun thing keep getting a message that he loves to find and pick wildflowers. 0_o what is a monarch supposed to do with them?

Not sure what you mean by awkward, there's lazy buttons on the control panel for all the main places and the navigation is much the same as any sim game.
It's a fatal flaw so you need to balance his focus out with positive buffs. My funniest kingdom was the one I played to get the 10 misanthropic sims achievement. I think it's still my fave kingdom.
Never seen the message about picking wildflowers on any sim.....unless you're still in the tutorial, and then the purpose of them is to give them to a quest NPC later on.
Scholar
#7 Old 29th Mar 2013 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
Not sure what you mean by awkward, there's lazy buttons on the control panel for all the main places and the navigation is much the same as any sim game.
It's a fatal flaw so you need to balance his focus out with positive buffs. My funniest kingdom was the one I played to get the 10 misanthropic sims achievement. I think it's still my fave kingdom.
Never seen the message about picking wildflowers on any sim.....unless you're still in the tutorial, and then the purpose of them is to give them to a quest NPC later on.

I don't know the english names for the overview controlls. But the first thing that is very unintuitive is the difference of camera control between the castle thing view (where you can buy new buildings) and the normal live play. When I enter live play from that mode, sometimes I get my camera stuck into max zoomed out position and I can't zoom back in. The only fix then is either centre on my hero sim, or switch back to a different mode and then go to live again.

Then about the furnace (that you quoted me on in a former msg), if there are enough sims in the house, at some point the apprentice starts handing out packets right in front of the furnace. Now that I have 2 furnaces it is not a big deal anymore. But instead the apprentice for some reason sometimes decides to continue his work at the furnace where my hero is working. This is so annoying when I am working on a quest item.

But the game has a lot of weak points. For example my blacksmith can't craft any superalloy if the relevant quest is not active for some reason. So now she has learned some new recipes from a book, she can't craft it because the recipe for superalloy (hope it is the right english word in the game for this) disappeared. Oh and free play (no quests), shows how shallow this game really is Play knight in free game (no quests, dailies) and you will fall asleep.
I really like the medieval setting though. Wish I could take the swordplay to The Sims 3 I like how it is more interactive then martial arts sparring. I also notice that somehow the routing is better then in sims 3. The sims can pass each other on much smaller surfaces it seems.
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 12:26 AM
I don't know the english names for the overview controlls. But the first thing that is very unintuitive is the difference of camera control between the castle thing view (where you can buy new buildings) and the normal live play. When I enter live play from that mode, sometimes I get my camera stuck into max zoomed out position and I can't zoom back in. The only fix then is either centre on my hero sim, or switch back to a different mode and then go to live again.

You could try Shimrod's camera mod. I don't know if it will fix that for you or not. I don't have a problem with this, but then I don't honestly know if Shimrod's camera is helping fix a problem that's there or not. I did remove the mod not so long ago to check zoom values on sims etc with the games camera and I don't recall having a problem returning to the game from kingdom view though.

Then about the furnace (that you quoted me on in a former msg), if there are enough sims in the house, at some point the apprentice starts handing out packets right in front of the furnace. Now that I have 2 furnaces it is not a big deal anymore. But instead the apprentice for some reason sometimes decides to continue his work at the furnace where my hero is working. This is so annoying when I am working on a quest item.

Did you try the mod I made you for this? ....or does she sweep in front of the furnace now instead? The furnace is meant to have an exclusion zone that can only be breached by a sim forging (and other sims can come and socialize with those forging sims in that zone), so I can only think that she's been at the forge already and a sim has come across to engage her and the whole selling loop has kicked in. Since she shouldn't use the forge anymore she shouldn't be able to breach that zone anymore, but you'd have to try it to check that.

But the game has a lot of weak points. For example my blacksmith can't craft any superalloy if the relevant quest is not active for some reason. So now she has learned some new recipes from a book, she can't craft it because the recipe for superalloy (hope it is the right english word in the game for this) disappeared. Oh and free play (no quests), shows how shallow this game really is Play knight in free game (no quests, dailies) and you will fall asleep.
I really like the medieval setting though. Wish I could take the swordplay to The Sims 3 I like how it is more interactive then martial arts sparring. I also notice that somehow the routing is better then in sims 3. The sims can pass each other on much smaller surfaces it seems.

Hmm, I know a lot of people feel the game isn't what it should be, each to his own .
I prefer TSM to TS3, from the art to the game play, I like everything about it, there's obviously things I would like to make different like more control over room size, I'm not bothered about a build mode but being able to move the inner walls in the castle, or the doors etc would be nice, but it doesn't bother me too much, and there hasn't been a story I've wanted to play out that I haven't been able to.
I find on the other hand that there 'seems' to be a lot to do in TS3 but you just end up hanging around, sighing and wondering what to do next, because it seems like there's more to do than there actually is, which I find disappointing, I don't get that hanging around feeling ever in TSM, because it doesn't try to con me into thinking there's more to it than there is.
Sounds like you feel exactly the same but in reverse lol
I do like World Adventures and University, but probably because it takes you away from the main world, gives you something to do and lets you actually focus on something.
Never had that feeling in either TS1 or TS2 though, so it can't be just that. I feel TS3 for the most part is missing something which is a shame because I'd love to love it as much as I love all the other sim games.
Anyway, if you haven't left us yet, give that blacksmith apprentice mod a try. I hope it helps remove at least one annoyance for you.
Instructor
#9 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 1:49 AM
Medieval is like a stories game. I love some of the stories games. They did, however, make Medieval with a more modern engine than TS3. I'd guess that when TS4 come out TSM will be more modable.

But really! TS3 can do all the medieval dress up you want. It can make coustom castles. It can give you knights, and kings, with swords, and chariots, and cellphones. So what do TS3'ers want? You want me to mod the core to remove cellphones? Really, what those who complain want, is already available. TSM is a new play style. It's not TS3! It's not supposed to be TS3.

Is it worth it?

Do you like it?

I do. I fuck with it way more than TS3, which means I like it way more. (Probabaly because I'm bored with Sims gamplay over the past decade).
Scholar
#10 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grimreefer24601
Medieval is like a stories game. I love some of the stories games. They did, however, make Medieval with a more modern engine than TS3. I'd guess that when TS4 come out TSM will be more modable.

But really! TS3 can do all the medieval dress up you want. It can make coustom castles. It can give you knights, and kings, with swords, and chariots, and cellphones. So what do TS3'ers want? You want me to mod the core to remove cellphones? Really, what those who complain want, is already available. TSM is a new play style. It's not TS3! It's not supposed to be TS3.

Is it worth it?

Do you like it?

I do. I fuck with it way more than TS3, which means I like it way more. (Probabaly because I'm bored with Sims gamplay over the past decade).

I agree with what you said. I do understand that it is supposed to be storybased. But then my issues with the game prevent it from being the way you described. I never expected The Sims 3 with a Medieval flavour.

- For example, what is the point of randomly finding a recipe, if one of its ingredients is only available during a specific quest? With that random quest listing and the quest not available anymore if you finished it already, the recipe becomes useless. This is just poor gameplay and I wonder if it was intended this way.

- The blacksmith apprentice. I really like this idea on paper, but the way it is executed it mainly becomes a hassle in the way that the apprentice can make you fail your questitems. I am also quite sure that this wasn't intended. Or that it is intended to have 2 furnaces/anvils as a not so great workaround. The handing out packets spam seems to be kind of over the top too. 5-6 times in a row to the same sim lol.

- The bird. When your sim takes calls the parrot/falcon, you can't queue any interactions with sims. My heroes are apparently bored all the time, because the moment I let go of them, they call their parrot My king is the only one left having a pet, just for the daily to send the bird at a gildmember.

These kind of issues have nothing to do with my personal preference, but with nice game ideas that were poorly executed.

Anyway, it is nice to see other people having fun with this game and like I mentioned in my other post, I also see a lot of fun things in TSM. Some of which I would like to see in TS3 (not so sure about TS4, afraid it is going to turn out a facebook game with all recent EA games going all social networking whether you like it or not). It is just sad that EA just left it hanging there and doesn't update anymore.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 4th May 2014 at 3:26 AM
I played this game for a week, finished the story and couldn't be bothered repeating it with another character. I didn't like the limitations or having to follow the storyline. Never played since.
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th May 2014 at 7:18 PM
This game needs better conflict!
Things like Barbarian raids and evil death cults that steal all your chickens.
Maybe an occasional giant that walks across the land and squishes your house.

SOMETHING more than the whole lot of nothing it currently has.