Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Sep 2011 at 6:57 AM Last edited by zirrush : 11th Sep 2011 at 1:11 PM.
Default Guide: Using Mods in Linux (through wine)
Ok, dunno how many ppl will make use of this. But, I figured it was worth posting up after helping a friend configure wine to run TSM and then it just hanging out on the loading screen once mods where installed. So, I'll just start from the beginning on what you need before even installing TSM in wine.

First, you need to download and install winetricks. Assuming you have wget installed, this can be done from the command line via
Code:
wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks 

Once downloaded, you need to install vcrun2010, vcrun6, vcrun6sp6, mfc42, d3dx9_31. You can install this using either the X gui (right click on your winetricks file and run with "sh") or from the command line via:
Code:
sh ./winetricks vcrun2010 vcrun6 vcrun6sp6 mfc42 d3dx9_31

The d3dx9_31 is the file you can get by without unless using mods, placing the windows native dll in your bin folder will not work using wine. You need to install the wine native via winetricks. If using an ATI card or having a black screen once the game has loaded, you may need to edit your Direct3D settings in wine's regedit located at : "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-0-0-0-1000\Software\Wine\Direct3D"

Add strings and modify the values accordingly:
Code:
DirectDrawRenderer = opengl
Multisampling = enabled
OffscreenRenderingMode = fbo
PixelShaderMode = enabled
RenderTargetLockMode = readtex
UseGLSL = disabled
VertexShaderMode = hardware

And of course, you need the correct Resource.cfg in your game folder:

Resource.cfg
Code:
Priority 500
DirectoryFiles Mods/Packages/... autoupdate
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package

That about does it, if you haven't used wine for any other games I suggest getting wine working with just the base game before fooling with the mods. Common problems that prevent wine from running right is X not being configured for 3D acceleration, and if using a NVidia card make sure you're using NVidia's proprietary drivers and not the open source alternatives. The open source will run 3D acceleration fine, but wine just never seams to agree with it in my experiences. Check your distros non-free repositories for the nvidia drivers or just go to nvidia.com. Also, usually a good idea to make sure compiz isn't running when you're trying to play games. I recommend using the fusion-icon applet to quickly change back and forth between compiz and your non-fancy window manager.

Another Note, Pirates and Nobles WILL run through wine. However, the installer will crash once trying to install the VC++ Runtimes. A simple workaround for this requires access to a windows computer. You'll need to install PaN in windows and copy just the PaN folder to an external and then over to your "Program Files\Electronic Arts\" folder in wine. Once doing this, run the PaN installer and install overtop of itself. Doing this bypasses the VC++ installer and will patch TSM's base packages with the expansion and what not. I'd imagine there's a simpler way of doing this by extracting the appropriate files from the VC++ installer on the dvd and just placing them in the directory. Until I'm bored enough to fiddle with that, this is my method, lol.

This was all done and running flawless using Wine 1.3.27 on fedora 15 x86. Cheers
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 5:30 AM
Thanks... kind of?
Hoping this works. I'm one of the very few that use Wine to play Sims 3 on Ubuntu, and then Mod TS3 too. This hopefully will work like a charm. I know this was posted yonks ago, but if I could ask a question and have it answered by my intelligent peers, I'd be forever grateful (how cheesy was that!):
After I've installed the second thing via Terminal and all Video/Music/Everything is working and functioning well, do I still need to do the other steps or am I done?
Thank you so very much! (Again cheesy! 8p)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 8:10 AM
Oh, thank God. I was just looking for this.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2013 at 8:40 AM
As an update, now none of those added settings are need.

It should run right out of the box.

I recommend against turning off UseGLSL on any recent versions of wine for any reason other than debugging. It will kill your graphics and pretty much breaks the wined3d engine.

Also you no longer needs to install any Windows components unless you want to run the launcher (in which case you need .Net 2.0 installed.)