Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 7:18 PM Last edited by CaliBrat : 3rd Apr 2018 at 7:44 PM.
Default Classify jobs to status
In which category would put each of the maxis jobs? They each can only be put into 2 of the four categories - Rich, Upper Class, Working Class, and Poor.
1. Journalism
2. Law (Lawyer) - Degree
3. Music
4. Natural Science
4. Show Business
5. Architecture - Degree
6. Dance
7. Entertainment
8. Intelligence (SCIA) - Degree
9. Oceanography - Degree
10. Adventurer
11. Education - Degree
12. Gamer
13. Athletic
14. Business - Degree
15. Criminal
16. Law Enforcement
17. Medicine - Degree
18. Military
19. Politics
20. Science - Degree
21. Slacker/ Freelancer
22. Artist

I know that everyone plays differently and you might not do this, but I'm tryin to get some ideas here and so would like ya'lls input on if you did do this, how would you. My thoughts are that while anyone can get a job in the class I place them to get one in a class above them will be much harder, but not impossible. Also, I need to check to see which ones have/ should need a degree (ie go to college) as that'll play a part too.

Edit: Added jobs needin degrees as based on Phae's fixes
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 7:43 PM
I'm not sure I could classify jobs in terms of class. Something like law would be a typical upper middle class (I'd prefer that to upper class here) but you get plenty of working class lawyers. Same with teachers which is a typical middle-class occupation. And then something like medicine has two distinct halves - nurse and doctor - but the same thing applies I think. Why are slacker/freelancer the same? I agree about the degrees though. Natural science and journalism need degrees too, I think. Maybe not so much journalist though most journalists I know went to university. Business doesn't necessarily need a degree (plenty of self-made people out there - hello Richard Branson) though I think generally politics would.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 7:50 PM
I have a mod that changes the maxis wording from Slacker to Freelancer. I almost forgot what the real name was which is why I put both :P
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 8:06 PM
All the creative occupations - music, art, entertainment, etc. - are either poor or rich. We're either underpaid, or Stephen King.

A lot depends on the culture which jobs have prestige and which don't, and how far access is limited by class. In the modern world some of these careers are explicitly undertaken as a means of social mobility. Atheletes, for example, can parlay high school stardom into college scholarships and entry into elite spaces even before they go pro.

And classes don't necessarily track with wealth. I'm thinking of all the ladies and gentlemen in Victorian literature who can barely make it from quarter day to quarter day, but look down on wealthy tradesmen and would die rather than do the wrong kind of work, even if they could get hired or put some capital together.

I think you're going to have to define your culture more if we're to be any help to you.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#5 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 8:13 PM
Sorry about mine being in a different order - it's easier to just go through my notebook. Some careers I think are suited to very different groups: lower levels are suited to the working class, but a degree may be needed for the higher levels, which might restrict entry to the rich if you charge for university.

Adventurer - Rich, Upper Class (because you start out as an Ambassador's intern).
Architecture - Levels 1-4, Poor or Working Class; Levels 5-10, Rich or Upper Class. Needs a degree for Level 5 and up.
Artist - Rich or Poor. Maxis require a degree, but I have a mod to avoid that, as I think it's unrealistic.
Athletics - Poor or Working Class.
Business - Working Class or Upper Class. I require two years of university for all but Level 1.
Criminal - Poor or Rich.
Culinary - Poor or Working Class.
Dance - Rich or Upper Class, needs private school education.
Education - Working Class or Upper Class. Degree needed for anything beyond Level 2.
Entertainment - Poor or Working Class.
Gamer - Could be any, but Rich and Poor seem most likely.
Intelligence - Working Class or Upper Class, degree needed for Level 4 and up.
Journalism - Working Class or Upper Class, two years of university needed for Levels 3 and up.
Law - Working Class for Levels 1 and 2; Upper Class or Rich, with a degree, for higher levels.
Law Enforcement - Poor or Working Class. Two years of university needed for Levels 5 and up.
Medicine - Working Class and Upper Class. Degree needed.
Military - This is a special one. I either restrict it to the Rich (Patricians), or make it the catch-all that anybody can apply for. Officers require at least two years of university, but I often have the military pay for college in hoods where tuition fees apply.
Music - Poor for Levels 1-7; Rich (with a degree) for direct entry to Levels 8-10. I usually base this one on how outgoing the Sim is, rather than on social class, because concert pianist and symphony conductor suggest a wealthy background, but the rest seem open to anyone.
Natural Scientist - You could go either way here: rich with a biology degree, or from a poor farming background.
Oceanography - Poor for Levels 1-3; Rich for upper levels (it's a tough one - a marine biologist really ought to have a degree, but anyone who cares could be the Hand of Poseidon!)
Paranormal - Poor or Rich. It's the sort of job you either do because you're not qualified for anything else, or because it seems like fun and you don't need the money.
Politics - Rich or Upper Class; at least two years of university required.
Science - Except for Test Subject (Poor), probably Working Class or Upper Class, with a degree.
Showbusiness - Rich or Upper Class. Maxis require a degree, but I've got a mod.
Slacker - Like Paranormal, Rich or Poor, though Poor might find it hard to become a Professional Party Guest, due to not having the right social connections.

Some of them are not straightforward and seem to apply to either end of the spectrum, rather than being strictly stratified; for those that have lower levels that anyone could do and then a big jump to the next level, I usually use the Stopinator (eg at Level 4 in Architecture), and if they get past that into the upper levels I let them continue even if they don't have the required degree.

I sometimes reserve Law, Politics and the Military for a select few; if you don't come from the 'right family', you don't get in, no matter how good you might be.
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 8:30 PM
Thank you @BlueAlien .. this is what I was lookin for
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 10:36 PM
You need to look at the individual levels in each career. Often level 1 or 2 of a career will be for a completely different kind of sim. For me it's not to do with class but education.

A Blog Writer is a very different thing to being Sports Columnist to being a Media Magnate.

As a career the first 6 levels in Journalism could be held with little education. The next 4 could be held by someone with a degree which could be community college or uni depending on the family. For a wealthy family community college might do.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Apr 2018 at 9:41 AM
Art and Show Business - Here, those are actually important degrees.

Artists studying for a degree get opportunities while studying, like exhibiting works in big galleries and may be commissioned to do something during their studies. Drama students get to make independent films and take part in international film festivals, get to organise big drama events annually, where there are critics writing reviews for them - they are sometimes given opportunities even before they have completed their studies by producers here. Most important part - they do learn how the business work and is far less likely to sign stupid contracts without reading them.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Apr 2018 at 10:19 AM
Here is something that I copied from a site (don't remember if it was this one or another) about the various 'social groups' as envisioned by Maxis:

Social Class, Gestures and 'stories' sims 2

Every lot is categorized in a low, medium, or high class. The class depends on how expensive the objects on the lot, how high the lot class surrounding the lot, how big the lot, and how many households consist in the lot if the lot is residential.

Gearheads
Edgy Gearheads
Low class
Hobby: Tinkering
Aspiration: Knowledge, fortune
Gearheads' gesture: Tough Handshake
Gearheads are the lowest class. As a result, they appear in low class lots. Their gesture is a "Tough Handshake", and their favorite story is "Mechanics". The females usually wear black colored, torn clothes. The males usually wear "punk-like" clothes. Gearheads are usually employed in Architecture, Slacker, Journalism, Criminal, or Music careers.

Bohemians
Artsy Bohemians
Upper lower class
Hobby: Arts & Crafts, Music , Nature, Cuisine
Aspiration: Romance, Pleasure, family
Bohemians' gesture: Earthy Hug
Bohemians are a mix of middle and low class. The bohemians are a group of nonconformists whose males usually dress with brightly colored suits. Their gesture is an "Earthy Hug" and their story is "Art". They are likely to be employed as an Artist, or in Dance, Culinary, Music, Natural Science, Entertainment, or Oceanography careers.

Jocks
Sports Jocks
Middle Class
Jocks' gesture: High Five
Hobby: Sports, fitness
Aspiration: Popularity, Fortune
Jocks are the middle class. Both genders are usually dressed in sweats and sporties. Their gesture is a "High Five", and their story is "Sports". They are likely to be employed in Adventurer, Architecture, Oceanography, Athletic, Dance, Law Enforcement, or Military.

Techs
Gadget-Collecting Techies
Upper Middle Class
Hobby: Games, Science
Aspiration: Knowledge
Techs gesture: Fake Out
Techs are a mix between middle and high class. Techs are usually dressed in dark and modern suits. Their gesture is "Fake Out" and their story is "Computers". They are likely to be employed in Education, Business, Gamer, Science, Paranormal, or Intelligence.

Socialites
Stylish Socialite
Upper class
Hobby: Music & Dance, Literature & Film
Aspiration: Popularity, Fortune
Socialites' gesture: Kiss Kiss Darling
Socialites are the highest class. They are usually dressed stylishly. Their gesture is "Kiss Kiss Darling" and their story is "Fame". They are likely to be employed in Business, Law, Politics, Journalism, Medicine, or Show Business.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th Apr 2018 at 12:14 PM
I totally adore the social class townies and their gestures. They have made good marriage material as well in my hood.

The aspirations, I believe, are not as exact as the above list - there are definitely more aspirations in the various groups. Troy Go is a jock and a knowledge sim; Rose Dai is a tech and a popularity sim and Jace Macarevich is a tech and a fortune sim; elder Leo Wilkie is a socialite and a family sim, Sandy Fairchild is a romance socialite. (I know them so well )
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 8:41 PM
Very interesting thread you have here.
I would not have thought of this really. As in this game, a sim get rich regardless of the job. Now if you add mods to the mix...it might be worth it, but way too much trouble for me.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Here is something that I copied from a site (don't remember if it was this one or another) about the various 'social groups' as envisioned by Maxis:

Social Class, Gestures and 'stories' sims 2

Every lot is categorized in a low, medium, or high class. The class depends on how expensive the objects on the lot, how high the lot class surrounding the lot, how big the lot, and how many households consist in the lot if the lot is residential.

Check out this mod! http://www.modthesims.info/d/310786
It works nicely with BO's Social Group Greetings: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6480

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 3:32 AM
I didn't know those mods existed! Thanks for the links!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles