Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2011 at 4:53 PM
Default How do YOU like to mod your Sims 3?
I just got the game and EPs last week, and I've yet to download any CC. My Sims 2 is filled with amazing mods and CC - so much so that almost all of my hoods in TS2 use no Maxis stuff at all outside of build mode. For TS3, I told myself I'd just keep it all Maxis - but that's just so not my gameplay style. Of course, now I'm wanting at least some new clothes...and some hairs...there goes my all-Maxis idea!

Since I just got into TS3, looking over all the CC for it seems overwhelming. What mods/cc do you feel really enhance your gameplay for the Sims 3? I'd like to hear some suggestions from experienced TS3 players.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th May 2011 at 5:22 PM
After the fiasco with blue lots when World Adventures came out, I've stayed away from CC, which really sucks a lot and detracts hugely from the game (but luckily, the CAS system that allows you to customize further is saving it from total worthlessness). I never had one single problem ever with the HUGE amount of CC I downloaded in Sims 2. But I do not have the knowhow, patience or time to work out CC in the Sims 3, especially since everything seems to need updating after a new expansion comes out. I'd just rather not deal with the hassle and play a vanilla game.

It's pretty terrible because there are so many fantastic CC creators out there making incredible objects I'd love to have. But so far I've been good.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 8th May 2011 at 5:22 PM
Here are some *Good* Mods:
● Stuff on the fridge mod: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=413372
● Stuff on the toilet: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=435922
● Stuff on the stereo: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=435979
● More Interactions: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=437344
● Seed Box: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=415450
● Treasure Box: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=383093
● Pose Player: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=441682
● Scribbling Pad: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=422974
And there is lots more! Now for my core mod, it's Awesome mod, with some configs.
Awesome Mod: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15185.0.html
Config: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/t...some/config.php
Hope I helped!

You can find video previews of ALL my uploads on my YouTube Channel.
Keep updated, and follow me on Twitter! You´ll get the most recent news and goss when I´m making custom content!
---- Have Fun With My Uploads! ----
Forum Resident
#4 Old 8th May 2011 at 5:25 PM
One thing I like is build sets which expand on an item EA gave us, without giving us matching things. For instance, WA comes with a cute short window with shutters, but doesn't come with the same window in various sizes, or without the shutters. Well, Q-builderz (I think it was) did just a set.

I always download those completer sets, simply because it greatly expands building options without taking up a lot of storage space in the old downloads folder.

Also, anything that gets rid of whininess, long wait times, or speeds up taking care of basic needs gets launched in my game, as these can become major annoyances over time. Another CC which doesn't take up a lot of space in the downloads folder.

As you said, clothes, hair... and I'd add furniture. Especially stuff which completes a style EA gave one or two of. (A chair, without a matching sofa or loveseat, for instance. Or side table without a matching coffee table.) One thing about hair: though I love the Newsea stuff in theory, in game it can look kinda ratty -- too many fly-aways for my taste. So my advice here is don't hesitate to yank something out of your game if you don't love it, since hairs can take up a lot of space...
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th May 2011 at 5:30 PM
Twallan's mods are must. Especially story progression saves you from lot of harm. http://www.the-isz.com/nraas/index.php?board=4.0

Well, there sure are lot of CC and every one has their own taste. Here is a lot of good CC, I suggest you star here at the MTS.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 8th May 2011 at 5:43 PM
-AwesomeMod, for its story progression and all the fixes to annoying sims behaviors.
-Slider hacks (both the slider multiplier included with AwesomeMod and the additional sliders made by users): they help a lot giving sims a more realistic and less pudding look and are a must for me :D
-Twallan's Debug Enabler, mainly for the possibility to set the level of ability of sim's skills. Very useful if you have some adults around town you want to have some abilities to start with, instead of having them learn everything from the beginning. I also happen to use its "animation" options a lot for storytelling.
-As for storytelling, the already linked Pose Player is another very useful tool
Inventor
#7 Old 8th May 2011 at 5:57 PM
I cannot stand the default hair textures so I download a lot of CC hair.
I also download a lot of CC deco objects because I like to clutter and wall art because I need more variety than the game offers.
As far as mods to the game, anything that squashes the really annoying stuff, especially the stuff that takes so much time and a story progression mod is a must, in my opinion.
I have in my game:
Awesomemod
Twallan's Master Controller
Twallan's Story progression and the Progression Personalities
Twallan's Woohooer
mods to speed up elevators and subways
HP's mod to make celebrity levels much harder
Buzzler's moodfix since EA can't be bothered to fix their own bugs
and the only 2 mods I've ever created:
stop the throwing up over Vampires
shorten the time they do the "stride of pride" or "walk of shame"

That's my list of essentials

kittens!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 8th May 2011 at 10:23 PM
I like the same-sex and teen pregnancy. I also like the mods to make me instantly gain all skills because I hate wasting time building them. Plus I like some of the clothing mods.
Space Pony
#9 Old 9th May 2011 at 2:19 AM
I download basically every hair, outfit, and accessory I like.
I download quite a few worlds, but only to see if I like them.
I download lots of CC cars. Mostly from Fresh Prince (http://www.freshprincecreations.com/)
I don't download that much custom objects, and my game is actually mod free except for a faster skill-gain mod.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 9th May 2011 at 5:02 AM Last edited by KirsiF : 9th May 2011 at 6:16 AM.
I use many of Twallan's mods: Story Progression, Overwatch, Master Controller, the Woohoer and other smaller mods like Once Read, Dresser etc. Couldn't imagine the game without those. I used to have also Awesome Mod but after I had to reinstall the game once again, I sort of forgot to add it and now I've managed without it.

Anach's tweaks over at Maty are another must, I don't use them all but pick the ones I find most useful (like changing the value for "rich", making WA stuff byuable etc.)

I don't actually use any custom buy mode stuff anymore, nor clothing and hair. I have some custom acessories (the game has such a limited choice of jewellery that it bugs me), and even less custom make-up. Also a handful of build mode stuff but I've been thinking to remove most of that as well.

My goal is to limit the amount of mods and cc so that the game stays playable yet fun. It's sometimes difficult to find the balance since without mods the game feels very lacking but the mods also slow the gameplay.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do use skin and eye replacements. Eyes are from -Shady- here at MTS and skins are LadyFrontbums naughty ones.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 9th May 2011 at 5:15 AM
I admit to having a weakness for CC hair (but I'm so picky that I usually just delete most of what I download anyway) and I have to have mods to change gameplay, like Twallan's mods or the EGC. All other mods are a take 'em or leave 'em type situation.

I pretty much don't care for object CC, like clutter, furniture and the like. I find that most of what people create I just don't like all that much. I might as well use EA stuff. And clothes change with me. Sometimes, I'll love EA clothes and other times I'll be so sick of it that I want to use all CC clothes. LianaSims3 makes me absolutely giddy with her female clothes. I don't use CC makeup and I tend to change their eyes a lot, even though I only ever use the default replacements. I just haven't found one that I'm really in love with enough to keep.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Theorist
#12 Old 9th May 2011 at 6:48 PM
Welcome to the joys and sorrows of TS3. You're going to have so much fun. No million,bazillion, trillion recolours to download anymore just meshes because the CAS system if fab.
Check around the community since the same TS2 sites that you know usually have a TS3 section.
Make sure you get the completer sets and new build/buy sets that are out in the community. You can have loads of options now.
Make sure you load up on patterns because you will go crazy with changing everything - textures/colours and might every remake your whole lot without having to replace the furnishings and building.
Make sure you get some skin replacements - LadyFrontbum or AikeaGuinea have good ones.
Eye replacements are your call. I use the contacts version of most eye defaults out there.
Make sure you load up on makeup - lips, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner because your sims will SO need it. If you're happy with just EA makeup that's fine too.
Make sure you get some real nails for your simmies - Daluved1 here at MTS has the best since it doesn't use the ring/bracelet/necklace slot so your simmies can wear rings, necklaces and bracelets AND nails. Everyone else's can't do the same.
Make sure you grab some OMSP's. There's a few here at MTS, just do a search, check with TSR, Garden Breeze 3, MangoSims and other sites for them.
Make sure you get lots of different hairs because 3rd party CC hair textures are tons better than EA's, unless you happen to love EA hair textures. I know of a few who love their hair textures.
And can't forget - clothes!! You'll go nuts there and I'm sure I don't need to tell you where to find them... it's all over the place

There's all the things I can think of to get for your game. I don't have any mods... unless you count default replacement skins. I just have EA Store CC and tons and tons of 3rd party CC.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 9th May 2011 at 9:10 PM
For me, Twallan's mods are must-haves. Awesomemod is of course awesome but I hate having it expire on me and I don't really like going to MATY It can be fun in small doses but good luck if you go there looking for help!

I use Twallan's Master Controller, Story Progression, Overwatch, DebugEnabler, Relativity, and Decensor. I also use some aspects of Shoni's Vampire Overhaul so that my vamps don't have to be buddy-buddies with everyone in town in order to get the sustenance they need, and Jenesis's All Fish and Fruits Made Buyable because I like to pretend that my towns are cosmopolitan enough to be able to import simple things like cherries and pomegranates from those faraway lands.

Oh, and I also use the Bar and Club opening and closing times adjustment mod which, when coupled with Twallan's Relativity, allows my Sims to have plenty of time to check out the local hotspots!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 9th May 2011 at 9:19 PM
I download an absolutely ridiculous amount of CC. Like it? Download it!

And I use a few of Twallan's mods including StoryProgression, MC, Animator and Overwatch. My core is AWT's slider hack. There's more mods but I need to make a list when I next open the game.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 10th May 2011 at 12:07 AM
For mods, I have Awesome Mod, MasterController, and Moar Interactions.

For CC I have hair/clothes and clutter. I love clutter so much it is unreal.

"It sucks because the vampires don't run fast enough. Lets be realistic - any vampire could run at leas a 4.5 40. These guys ran somewhere between a 4.8.-4.9."
Instructor
#16 Old 10th May 2011 at 3:46 AM
I have some AMAZING Twallan mods, like Master Controller, Overwatch, and Error Trap (this is core). I also use Treeag's treasure box, and Kolipoki's statue of life. Also necessary, if you don't like the cooking system is Black Cat's overhaul on food ingredients. I also make a few basic tuning mods, which you can use if you pm me.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 10th May 2011 at 4:44 AM
I use Twallan's Story Progression because I can't stand EA's SP. I also use CC hair and clothes like crazy because the ones in the game irritate me (well, some of the clothes aren't that bad actually). I've been eyeing some of Twallan's other mods too, like Master Controller and the Woohooer, but I'm taking a little break from hardcore TS3 play (except for some fun challenges I find on here) until Generations comes out so I'm not downloading those until after that.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th May 2011 at 7:18 AM
- awesome
- my own mods because I like the whole integrated economy thing
- Buzzler's mods (scribbling pad, digging fix, mood fix + harder moods)
- mods to make life harder, like higher bills x10 and more intensive fire (the default fire is a joke)

On top of mods, I do have some items, but I'm quite happy with what EA has provided. Except for clutter, you can't have too much clutter, or rugs.

One thing that I do like downloading is the more slots mods, I don't think you can ever have enough slots on a table.

Clothing, i don't download that much, I think currently i have none, but I'll probably download a few more elder clothes, after generations, if generations fails to provide anything new and interesting in the elder clothing department. I would actually like to download more clothing, but I don't like how badly EA has coded the clothe loading screen, when you switch from one category to the next. And adding downloaded clothes just makes a bit too slow for my liking. So I stick with EA clothing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th May 2011 at 7:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies

You guys gave me a good head start for beginning to mod TS3.