Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th May 2011 at 5:07 PM Last edited by candyapplegirl : 9th May 2011 at 6:15 PM.
Wanna known how to REALLY bork up your game?
Try being distracted and inattentive, and putting Sims 2 package files in your Sims 3 Mods folder, then start up your game. Ugh! Even though I removed the offending files as soon as I figured out what I had done, now it everything is completely crazy. Sims are disappearing. They're getting stuck. They're turning invisible every few minutes and teleporting to different parts of the town. Everything was going along just fine until I was a bonehead, and now I don't think my game is fixable. I've tried running the game with no CC at all. I tried restoring my backup game. Something is definitely corrupted deep within the game. I'll end the whining now. I just thought I'd throw that cautionary tale out there. Distracted downloading is dangerous!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 9th May 2011 at 5:45 PM
Uhm, I don't want to be rude or anything, but did you notice there's a huge difference between Sims2 and Sims3? I mean, Sims 2 CC doors are made for Sims 2, not for Sims 3!
It's like your trying to put a GTA IV mod in Call of Duty...
I'm sure you have to re-install your game if you haven't already, and remember, ONLY SIMS 3 CONTENT IN YOUR SIMS 3 GAME AND SIMS 2 CONTENT IN YOUR SIMS 2 GAME.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 9th May 2011 at 5:46 PM
crazy acts usually leads to crazy results...

thanks for sharing
#4 Old 9th May 2011 at 5:50 PM
Yes it really would mess up your game. I don't think taking out the CC would really help as your game is already dead.
Alchemist
#5 Old 9th May 2011 at 5:50 PM
Uh, Zandvoort, I think they clarified in the post it was accidental. Try reading the first 5 words of the paragraph, and the last 4.

I've managed to put sims 3 packs into sims 2 before. Thankfully I noticed before starting the game, because I have no idea what would've happened then :L
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th May 2011 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zandvoort
Uhm, I don't want to be rude or anything, but did you notice there's a huge difference between Sims2 and Sims3? I mean, Sims 2 CC doors are made for Sims 2, not for Sims 3!
It's like your trying to put a GTA IV mod in Call of Duty...
I'm sure you have to re-install your game if you haven't already, and remember, ONLY SIMS 3 CONTENT IN YOUR SIMS 3 GAME AND SIMS 2 CONTENT IN YOUR SIMS 2 GAME.

Actually, that did sound a little rude, but whatever. Yes, obviously I realize that they are not meant to be placed in the Sims 3 game, which was the whole point of the post. I've been playing a long time, and I do know the difference. I just wasn't paying attention to the little icon that said "Sims 2" up in the corner when I downloaded the file.

P.S. I have no idea what GTA IV is, so that comparison was totally lost on me. Sorry.
#7 Old 9th May 2011 at 6:02 PM
Have you taken out ALL the CC that came with the file?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th May 2011 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lilyandsnuggles2
Have you taken out ALL the CC that came with the file?

Yeah, I removed every last bit of CC from the game. Deleted it from my computer and everything (I ended up with charcoal Sims with no hair... creepy). The game played normally for about 2 minutes, then the Sims started becoming invisible again. I guess when I started the game with the wrong files, it corrupted something in the game itself, because even when I tried to restore it from the backup game, it still wouldn't play correctly. I've already started the uninstallation process. I had just recently reinstalled Sims 3 after changing computers, so I had only been playing this game for about 2 weeks. If I'd been playing for months and lost all that work, I would be completely disgusted with myself right now. Thankfully, this is more of an inconvenience than anything.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 9th May 2011 at 6:17 PM
Did you start a new save or are you using the old save?

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Instructor
#10 Old 9th May 2011 at 6:23 PM
If you download Delphy's Dashboard (can be downloaded here at MTS), it can look for conflicts. It caught 99% of conflicts I have encountered, anyway.

Amongst other things, one thing it checks is whether you tried to install TS2 mods or CC (via the Mods folder, not the launcher) into TS3.
Inventor
#11 Old 9th May 2011 at 6:32 PM
I managed to do this once but it didn't screw up my game THAT badly. But then again I can't remember if I did the total reinstallation of everything before or after I done it on accident.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 9th May 2011 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BenC0722
If you download Delphy's Dashboard (can be downloaded here at MTS), it can look for conflicts. It caught 99% of conflicts I have encountered, anyway.

Amongst other things, one thing it checks is whether you tried to install TS2 mods or CC (via the Mods folder, not the launcher) into TS3.

Thanks, Ben. I wasn't aware that such a device existed. I'll definitely download that before ever putting any more CC into my new game.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th May 2011 at 7:04 PM
Ya also need to delete your cache files too.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th May 2011 at 7:14 PM
I deleted all the cache files after each attempt at starting the game to see if I'd fixed the problem. At this point, it's just easier to reinstall the game. Getting all my lots back the way I like them will be a pain in the butt, but I guess that's my penance for being a bonehead.
Inventor
#15 Old 9th May 2011 at 7:24 PM
So you don't have to rebuild all your lots, you could try going into the game and saving each one to the library then export them. All you would need to do is install them once you have the game reinstalled.

Of course, I do not know if any bugs will carry over into the lot. I wouldn't think so but it's probably a good idea to start a test neighborhood first. Good luck!

kittens!
Field Researcher
#16 Old 9th May 2011 at 7:55 PM
This has happenned to me too. I should have noticed because I was downloading the content from one of my favorite sites and suddently there were lots of not previously seen content...

I oppened the game and it was a bit slower that usually. That's all, nothing else.
Inventor
#17 Old 9th May 2011 at 8:08 PM
Yeah that's pretty much what happened on my end.

The Simmer formerly known as Greenlea
Field Researcher
#18 Old 9th May 2011 at 8:50 PM
I've almost done this before! Sometimes when it comes to stuff like doors or furniture it can be hard to tell between the two games unless you see the icon So don't feel too embarrassed!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 9th May 2011 at 9:08 PM
I did this the other day. The game wouldn't start so I used the Dashboard tool which found and deleted the Sims 2 files I didn't know about. But nothing else happened to my game that I noticed. I wonder what went wrong on your end!
#20 Old 9th May 2011 at 9:46 PM
Delphy's Dashboard sounds good. Where can I get it? (Can't find it) And is it just for Sims 3?
Instructor
#21 Old 9th May 2011 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lilyandsnuggles2
Delphy's Dashboard sounds good. Where can I get it? (Can't find it) And is it just for Sims 3?

By using the "Downloads" menu (along the top of the page), clicking "Sims 3," and then typing in the word "Dashboard" into the search box, I found it in less than a minute.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006

I don't know of a similar program for TS2, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Instructor
#22 Old 10th May 2011 at 3:42 AM
To the OP, you might not have to reinstall the game. If you go to My Documents, Electronic Arts, you will find the sims 3 folder. If you rename it Sims 3 Backup, and then reload the game, it will be like you have reinstalled. That will fix it unless the problem is in the CD (almost impossible) or in program files (semi-likely).

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Field Researcher
#23 Old 10th May 2011 at 4:11 AM
thankyou for posting this, it's really good for me to see what will happen when something i'm totally likely to do gets done. and it's fantastic to know there are mods and such out there, the conflict finder, that will try and help me avoid the clustref&%*ery i am very likely to bring upon myself if i ever figure out downloading custom content...

oh, i believe the snooty first replier, who was kinda rude, and stating the "gosh you're a dumbass, lets be as mean as possible about it"...

the GTA IV they were talking about, was grand theft auto 4, i think. not sure. i dont speak fluent butthead, but i dabble. they were comparing putting in grand theft auto cheats in a game of call of duty...

if i was going to be mean, i'd have to say "using chess pieces to play checkers" cause i'm tech flicted... but i can TOTALLY see where yours would be an easy mistake, and think the rirst replier was cranky...
Theorist
#24 Old 10th May 2011 at 5:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by somethingelse
oh, i believe the snooty first replier, who was kinda rude, and stating the "gosh you're a dumbass, lets be as mean as possible about it"...

the GTA IV they were talking about, was grand theft auto 4, i think. not sure. i dont speak fluent butthead, but i dabble. they were comparing putting in grand theft auto cheats in a game of call of duty...

if i was going to be mean, i'd have to say "using chess pieces to play checkers" cause i'm tech flicted... but i can TOTALLY see where yours would be an easy mistake, and think the rirst replier was cranky...

What's funny is that they missed the whole point of the original post LOL
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#25 Old 10th May 2011 at 7:58 AM
Is this technically even possible, i.e., that a game mod can change an application all by itself to the point that a re-install is necessary?

Reading the 2nd poster's "advice" and similar ones by SimGurus at the EA forums I always wonder whether this is not some kind of voodoo to believe that a modification that is not even installed INTO the application could do that. Wouldn't such a mod have to be an application itself and wouldn't such a behaviour violate any security restriction imposed by the Operating System? If a game mod did that wouldn't I receive one system warning after the other asking for my admin password?
I've always understood game mods as such that the modding framework only tells the game to bypass certain core functions of the application and read the alternative functions of the mod instead, while leaving the application files untouched. Even a mod that requires you to replace a game core file with a modded one, like the earliest no-censor mod, does only that, replace one file with another. But I have never come across a mod that would then overwrite other unrelated application files all by itself. Take every mod out, or in the case of said no-censor mod put the original file back, and your game will be as vanilla as before. At least when I look at my application folder and everything that is within, the time stamp on all files tells me that they have remained unchanged since I installed the game the last time.
I do understand that a re-install might be necessary if the initial installation failed leaving you with a broken game application from the very beginning, but in the case of mods breaking the game I'd rather believe that this damage only applies to everything that is in the Documents and Preferences (or whatever this is called under Windows) folders, i.e. saves, caches, game settings, etc. Removing these will leave you with a clean game again.

So, to cut a long story short: Correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure that a game mod for TS3 cannot break the game application istelf, unless it is malware, of course.
Page 1 of 2