Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 7:59 PM
Default Giving Playable Jobs to NPCs
This is somewhere between a gameplay and editing question, I suppose. I'm looking to make a set of entirely custom NPCs and townies for a main neighborhood. The idea is for them to all have "character" rather than roll-of-the-dice personalities. (Yes, that's a lot of work, but eventually I'm hoping to push them into a replacement N001 template so I can use them across my various 'hoods.)

What I'm checking on here is how the service Sims will behave when called/invited or moved in. Say you met an NPC police officer. They're technically "unemployed", but I'd want them to keep their NPC "job" if visiting or moved in. Also, mods like Cyjon's Night Calling check the Sim's work hours for calling, which is perfect for making them feel more "alive". If I were to assign the cop a patrol officer job (Law Enforcement L-3), would this cause any issues with their NPC functionality?

It does appear that taking an NPC out of the Service family will invalidate them for selection. (I used this to force all 4 of an apartment's residents to get a specific landlady.*) Since there isn't a playable career for every NPC type, many of them will have to "quit" if they move in. (Or have another job with similar hours.)

Bonus Question: Is there some way to make particular NPCs show up as walkbys/downtown visitors without breaking their purpose? Or will I have to rely on the phone book for those on-demand service Sims? (I'm told they can appear on hobby lots, but that's not always going to be an option.)

* I had to generate a "backup" landlord, since one of the apartment residents found the landlady super cute. Being a career criminal, he was possibly just looking for a break on the rent, but it's quickly escalated from there. :P
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 8:51 PM
I can't help you with all of this, but might be able to with a few things. You're right, if you move a service sim in they are no longer a service sim. There are some custom careers http://modthesims.info/d/294443 and http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=328682 that cover many/most of the EA ones. That way if you decide to move the service sims in they can retain their previous jobs. One way I found to give a little more life and story to service sims without moving them in was to hire them at owned businesses. It's been awhile and I'd have to look , but I believe a few of Squinge's mods are needed to do that ( Hire anyone, etc). If you want to play that way Kaylynn Langerak, for example, can continue to function as a maid, but can also work at a business. There is one caveat to this, service sims hired at businesses will only show up when the business owner is being played on the business lot. For example, if Fred Jones hires Kaylynn to work at his clothing store from 10AM-6PM and arrives there at 9AM, she'll show up at 10AM. If you're playing Bill Smith and go to that clothing store she won't show up to work. Hope that makes sense. I just found it was one way to give a bit more life and "screen time" to sims without moving them in and thereby changing their status to playable.

Shotgunning bland cucumbers since 1974
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NeuralStunner
Bonus Question: Is there some way to make particular NPCs show up as walkbys/downtown visitors without breaking their purpose? Or will I have to rely on the phone book for those on-demand service Sims? (I'm told they can appear on hobby lots, but that's not always going to be an option.

I've already got NPCs (maids, waiters, cooks, etc) walking by on my com lots. Not really sure what's causing it, but I like it.
Instructor
#4 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
I've already got NPCs (maids, waiters, cooks, etc) walking by on my com lots. Not really sure what's causing it, but I like it.
Do you have the "All walkbys" mod by Cyjon? Because that makes every safe sim show up in any lot.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 9:47 PM
Also, in a neighborhood with a very low population (empty templates and only a handful of PCs), service sims are called in when the game feels a community lot needs a walkby and it doesn't have enough townies. Don't know if keeping the population that low fits your concept, though.

One thing maxon did for Polgannon was use SimSurgery to make certain NPCs look like playables who are supposed to have those jobs. This doesn't help them have the relevant memories or relationships, though.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
I can't help you with all of this, but might be able to with a few things. You're right, if you move a service sim in they are no longer a service sim. There are some custom careers http://modthesims.info/d/294443 and http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=328682 that cover many/most of the EA ones. That way if you decide to move the service sims in they can retain their previous jobs.
Thanks for the links! I'm really not sure why those didn't show when I searched the downloads previously.

Quote: Originally posted by velvetina
Do you have the "All walkbys" mod by Cyjon? Because that makes every safe sim show up in any lot.
Thinking about it, I have seen my restaurant chef walk by while at the corner shoppes. I do have Cyjon's mod, too. (I have most of Cyjon's mods. ) I've yet to see anyone besides playables walk by a home lot, though. That could be because they're prioritized if available - I've been using the Visitor Controller to ban AI playables from community lots, because they're extra-strength annoying.* I might try banning playables and townies from a home lot and see who shows up.

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Also, in a neighborhood with a very low population (empty templates and only a handful of PCs), service sims are called in when the game feels a community lot needs a walkby and it doesn't have enough townies. Don't know if keeping the population that low fits your concept, though.
Well, my plan sheet contains a total of 160 NPC/Townie/etc. Sims, so i'd say not. I think having a lot of variety allows me to do something different with each 'hood without subjecting myself to goofy-looking randoms. (Dark skintone with genetic blond/red hair, animal control officer with a mohawk, etc.)

* They tend to behave uncharacteristically, like serious Sims haunting the games and pool table. On a couple occasions I've had them butting in on dates. One interrupted a queued dance to randomly admire my current playable, a complete stranger. Another decided to join the couple in the spa... "Shoo" not being enough, I made them temporarily selectable and forced them to stand in the corner. (The "pose" commands are great for this - AI won't break them out of a pose even after you make them unselectable again.) So far, townies seem to mind their own business unless and until you deliberately interact with them.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 11:20 PM
I'm not sure that I am understanding exactly what you want, but you can't give NPC sims a job. If you make them playable you can, but then they are no longer the NPC and the game will make you a new ones. Playable sims can have NPC custom careers, there are two packs on this site with jobs such as maid, repairman, exterminator etc. This does not make them do the NPC job, they just have the title and go to work as normal. If you want your NPC to look like a playable you can use sim surgery.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 11:59 PM
The main point is for them to report the job/earnings if asked during a visit, and to have that job in place of their NPC role if they move in (rather than apparently quitting their job). A secondary effect is to make them more realistically unavailable during their work and sleep hours (via the phone mods I have). I haven't checked this yet, but it might also make them end visits when they're supposed to go to work.

On that note, it seems that comm lot visitors don't get any kind of hours check. One of my Sims occasionally goes shopping while the roommate is at work, only for the roomie to show up at the shops. If I skipped work to go shopping, I'd be demoted! :P
Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 12:24 AM Last edited by Rosawyn : 22nd Mar 2017 at 12:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by velvetina

Apparently I do. I didn't remember downloading it, but there it is in my folder.

Quote: Originally posted by NeuralStunner
without subjecting myself to goofy-looking randoms. (Dark skintone with genetic blond/red hair, animal control officer with a mohawk, etc.)

I agree that it does look odd in game, but Malcom X had dark skin and red hair. So it does happen irl, though probably a lot less often than in TS2's random generation.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 12:29 AM
It can happen in real life too.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 12:49 AM
I never had a maid as a walk by, so I went to download All Walkbys mod. I hope to see a difference.
I really love your project NeuralStunner. I've been wanting the very same for years. Asking what's your job to the mail carrier and she answer..I am unemployed...this always bugged me. I did download the NPC career mod, and I love it. but it is really only useful (to me anyway) once I move an NPC in, and pretend they won't quit their initial job just because.
But hey..they aren't called Non-Playable-Character for nothing huh...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
I agree that it does look odd in game, but Malcom X had dark skin and red hair. So it does happen irl, though probably a lot less often than in TS2's random generation.
It's not so much with appearance, as I'm fine with bright hair colors. It just seems unusual, yes. But maybe I'm trying to apply too much realism to the quirky little Sims world. (Also I never knew that about Malcolm X, that's interesting.)

Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I really love your project NeuralStunner. I've been wanting the very same for years. Asking what's your job to the mail carrier and she answer..I am unemployed...this always bugged me. I did download the NPC career mod, and I love it. but it is really only useful (to me anyway) once I move an NPC in, and pretend they won't quit their initial job just because.
Shortly after starting this topic, I started thinking about packing up the template once it's done and uploading it here, if there's enough interest in that sort of thing.