Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#17151 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:12 AM
How do you clear a leftover graphic that won't go away? For some reason I still have the burning candles from a birthday cake floating over my counter even though the cake was eaten and cleared two sim days ago.

Pleasantview - Family Tree
Strangetown - Family Tree
Rhinehart - Royal Kingdom Challenge
Advertisement
Inventor
#17152 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Couldn't you accidentally delete the mesh or not delete it and have it hanging around when you don't want it? And there are warnings to not delete certain clothes in CAS because it could screw up your game. I don't want that risk.

I'm sure I have lingering meshes I don't use anymore in my download folder somewhere. I decided to not let that bother me, because I'm too lazy to find out which they are and remove those.
Never heard of warnings to not delete certain clothes?
Mad Poster
#17153 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 8:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dmrogue
How do you clear a leftover graphic that won't go away? For some reason I still have the burning candles from a birthday cake floating over my counter even though the cake was eaten and cleared two sim days ago.

Have you tried the stuck object remover?

Quote: Originally posted by mirjampenning
I'm sure I have lingering meshes I don't use anymore in my download folder somewhere. I decided to not let that bother me, because I'm too lazy to find out which they are and remove those.
Never heard of warnings to not delete certain clothes?

I'm the opposite. I hate having unnecessary stuff that is all unlinked hanging around. I think not deleting clothes from CAS was in regards to stuff that default replaced a Maxis outfit, but might still show up with the CC star and be deletable thereby borking the Maxis outfit. I think.
Field Researcher
#17154 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 11:10 AM Last edited by Vixxen : 17th Sep 2014 at 12:05 PM.
I am playing with all EPs and all stuff packs, and in a certain apartment building, I had 4 families living at the same time. I play in rotation, so while I was playing one of the other families, both parents in another family (in the same apartment building) lost jobs. I wasn't exactly sure what happened until I loaded that family and saw they were indeed both fired. This is the first time something like that happened to me. What can I do to prevent this happening again? I don't believe it's because of any hacks, because my game was working perfectly before that (I also do have a very limited number of hacks which I always check for compatibility, and no other CC).

EDIT: It also keeps happening to the same family over and over again. I got the parents employed again, and when I played their neighbors, they lost their jobs once more. I made sure there was a scheduled nanny so they wouldn't miss work because of that, now I'm out of ideas
Theorist
#17155 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 11:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
If I download a lot from a reputable site, scan it with Clean Installer, install it in a throwaway 'hood, and visually inspect it for signs of previous occupancy (trash, moved chairs, stuff like that), will I have done everything I can do to make sure the lot is safe before installing it in my main 'hood? What else (if anything) should I do/look for, either before or after downloading? Are there any sites I should avoid like the plague?

Also, if I install a lot and tell Clean Installer to not bring along any cc, I'll just end up with annoying blank walls and random EAxis items replacing the cc that's no longer there, right? I won't cause corruption?

I think I know the answers to all my questions, but I want to be extra sure I've got them right before proceeding to fit out my downtown with some lovely civic buildings I've seen around.

Quoting myself since my questions seem to have gotten buried.

dmrogue, you could also try the "Nuke Stuck SFX" option on the the Batbox if the Stuck Object Remover doesn't work.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Lab Assistant
#17156 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 12:14 PM
Also, if I install a lot and tell Clean Installer to not bring along any cc, I'll just end up with annoying blank walls and random EAxis items replacing the cc that's no longer there, right? I won't cause corruption?

No corruption just replaced by what ever Maxis objects were originally cloned which can look very strange unless you have the CC in your downloads folder already in which case it will stay.
Theorist
#17157 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dmrogue

Stuck object remover is here http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1609.0

It's a yellow box, I think it's under misc/misc.. Move other counters, objects, wall art or anything close to that tile. Place the box on the tile with candles. Go into live mode and 'poof' it removes the stuck image. While counter is out of the way, sweep up any dead bugs, dust bunnies, etc. and replace all decor back where it was. :D

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#17158 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 1:53 PM
Vixxen, if it's happening consistently you can easily confirm whether the problem is your hacks by backing up your game, taking out all the hacks, and seeing if it happens. Just because your hacks don't show any conflicts in the HCDU and visible problems haven't arisen elsewhere doesn't mean they don't have any conflicts, or that their apparently non-conflicting code can't get together with the code specific to this family in this apartment and spawn weirdness. With code this complex, you can't ever rule out anything out of hand.

If you're not willing to troubleshoot, I don't see an alternative to moving one family out of those apartments.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#17159 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Vixxen, if it's happening consistently you can easily confirm whether the problem is your hacks by backing up your game, taking out all the hacks, and seeing if it happens. Just because your hacks don't show any conflicts in the HCDU and visible problems haven't arisen elsewhere doesn't mean they don't have any conflicts, or that their apparently non-conflicting code can't get together with the code specific to this family in this apartment and spawn weirdness. With code this complex, you can't ever rule out anything out of hand.

If you're not willing to troubleshoot, I don't see an alternative to moving one family out of those apartments.

I have just moved the family that caused problems elsewhere, where they would be only playable residents and therefore couldn't lose their jobs while inactive. I then went to play on another apartment building with several families, and it happened with another family. I have loads of people living in apartments so I don't want to move everyone out.

It seems this has appeared since installing some hacks from MATY (despite the fact that they're compatible with my game and with each other, plus I haven't seen this bug mentioned elsewhere) so I guess I'll just get rid of these and restart the neighborhood. I'll still have to keep a couple of hacks that I consider absolute 'must-haves' so I hope the problem will disappear once I remove the hacks from MATY. If the problem doesn't disappear, then I'll try to troubleshoot the other hacks too but I really hope this isn't the case
Mad Poster
#17160 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 2:42 PM
Don't remove everything. Just do 50/50 and find the culprit, and remove that.
Theorist
#17161 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
Yes you can Duine, you can move the houses out of the way to.

If you want a easier way of doing it then download my The Beginning of Strangetown and Mootilda's hood replacer program and do it that way.
The Beginning of Strangetown. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=522185
HoodReplace 2.3: Replace Neighborhood Terrain http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=279992

You may need to use the lot adjuster also LotAdjuster 3.6 http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=384656

Marka, will leveling the hood also flatten lots at the same time? If not, which choice would I use once in the houses to bring them at the same level as the hood, the level to road or flatten lot?

I wasn't interested in playing Beginning of Strangetown ancestors, wouldn't that change personalities for the original characters born later?

Mad Poster
#17162 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 7:56 PM
I believe marka meant you should use Mootildas hood terrain replace program, and use the terrain from beginning of strangetown. Not that you should play that hood, just that you take its terrain and use it in your strangetown.
Theorist
#17163 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 3:37 AM
AAh, okay. I can use Tarlia's hood replacement and the flattened Strangetown together? Sorry, a lot of stressful medical stuff going on and thinking is confusing more than usual when tired. lol

Mad Poster
#17164 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 4:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
Marka, will leveling the hood also flatten lots at the same time? If not, which choice would I use once in the houses to bring them at the same level as the hood, the level to road or flatten lot?

I wasn't interested in playing Beginning of Strangetown ancestors, wouldn't that change personalities for the original characters born later?

No it will not flatten the lots.

@Duine You will need to use the Lot Adjuster to make the lots flat to the hood.

Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
I believe marka meant you should use Mootildas hood terrain replace program, and use the terrain from beginning of strangetown. Not that you should play that hood, just that you take its terrain and use it in your strangetown.

Yes that is it and you don't have to move the lots to flatten it out is all.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#17165 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 12:15 PM
A little update to the Sims losing jobs while inactive: I removed many of the hacks, all of which were from MATY (I did leave about 2 or so MATY hacks as they are really important for me) and reloaded a backup, so far, nobody has lost their job yet - and I have tested it exactly with the same family that caused most issues before. So looks like either one of those hacks is faulty, or imcompatible with my game or other hacks (though they are supposedly the right version for my game, and I have checked for compatibility with other hacks too). Either way, seems to work now. I don't think I'm going to test those hacks to find the exact culprit as I'm currently playing a Megahood and don't want anything messing up with my game. Thought I might share this though just in case anyone else is having these issues
Mad Poster
#17166 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vixxen
A little update to the Sims losing jobs while inactive: I removed many of the hacks, all of which were from MATY (I did leave about 2 or so MATY hacks as they are really important for me) and reloaded a backup, so far, nobody has lost their job yet - and I have tested it exactly with the same family that caused most issues before. So looks like either one of those hacks is faulty, or imcompatible with my game or other hacks (though they are supposedly the right version for my game, and I have checked for compatibility with other hacks too). Either way, seems to work now. I don't think I'm going to test those hacks to find the exact culprit as I'm currently playing a Megahood and don't want anything messing up with my game. Thought I might share this though just in case anyone else is having these issues

Which hacks did you remove?
Mad Poster
#17167 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 2:07 PM
Well, if you're happy without those hacks, that's fine; but probable that you only have to lose or load one in a different order. You don't have to risk your game at all - just make the neighborhood backup and put the hacks back in one at a time to see what happens. If you want to spend this time playing instead of testing, play till you're sure, backup again (you should be making regular backups anyway), add another hack, till you find the culprit.

Having a recent backup means never having to worry about messing up your game.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#17168 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 10:19 PM
I had a large amount of MATY hacks (all AL versions) and the only ones I kept are college clock, marriage postmortum and no unlink on delete. So it must have been one of the other hacks. I really can't be bothered to test for 20 or so hacks, so I'll just deal with it and not test it. I do, however, regularly backup - usually after I play one rotation of one subhood (I play a Megahood with many subhoods and each rotation is 1 day/1 term) which can be every day or every couple of days, but either way, I don't lose much if the game gets messed up at some point (I restored the backup after removing the hacks too, so these Sims would get their jobs back). It's not a good time for testing right now anyways, as the problem only appears in apartment lots with multiple households living there at once, and I only have these in Belladonna Cove, and I've just finished the rotation in it today, so before I get to any testing - if I get to it at all - I'll have to play the other subhoods too.
Test Subject
#17169 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 12:55 AM
I tried looking for an answer and can't seem to find one or who knows if I am looking in the right sections =)

Anyway I am curious if I download a house or apartment that has a list of custom content included and a list of custom content not included and I have none of the stuff on either list.... what will happen in game IF I download the house or apartment? Will the content just not show or will it crash my game?
Top Secret Researcher
#17170 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 12:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Punkymo
I tried looking for an answer and can't seem to find one or who knows if I am looking in the right sections =)

Anyway I am curious if I download a house or apartment that has a list of custom content included and a list of custom content not included and I have none of the stuff on either list.... what will happen in game IF I download the house or apartment? Will the content just not show or will it crash my game?

It should install without either and might look a little different depending on what the CC was. Like missing wallpaper or doors, just depends on what it is. Whether its a VBT, I don't know.
Mad Poster
#17171 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 1:23 AM
It is not a VBT. It should only crash your game if you try to install a lot which was made with an EP you don't have.

Alchemist
#17172 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:01 AM
Is it true that there's no way to edit a Sim's eye color so it shows in game?
Mad Poster
#17173 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:08 AM
I had a large amount of MATY hacks (all AL versions) and the only ones I kept are college clock, marriage postmortum and no unlink on delete. So it must have been one of the other hacks. I really can't be bothered to test for 20 or so hacks, so I'll just deal with it and not test it. I do, however, regularly backup - usually after I play one rotation of one subhood (I play a Megahood with many subhoods and each rotation is 1 day/1 term) which can be every day or every couple of days, but either way, I don't lose much if the game gets messed up at some point (I restored the backup after removing the hacks too, so these Sims would get their jobs back). It's not a good time for testing right now anyways, as the problem only appears in apartment lots with multiple households living there at once, and I only have these in Belladonna Cove, and I've just finished the rotation in it today, so before I get to any testing - if I get to it at all - I'll have to play the other subhoods too.

Test in a testing neighbourhood, not in your main one. Did you run HDCU to see if there are any conflicts? If you give us a list of the hacks you have then we could see if any had been problematic for us as well.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17174 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Is it true that there's no way to edit a Sim's eye color so it shows in game?

You can edit genetics with simPE.

I had a large amount of MATY hacks (all AL versions) and the only ones I kept are college clock, marriage postmortum and no unlink on delete.

You should also go get "No corrupt Death".

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#17175 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:19 AM
dmrogue, you could also try the "Nuke Stuck SFX" option on the the Batbox if the Stuck Object Remover doesn't work.

I tried, but it didn't work

Quote: Originally posted by Duine
Stuck object remover is here http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1609.0

It's a yellow box, I think it's under misc/misc.. Move other counters, objects, wall art or anything close to that tile. Place the box on the tile with candles. Go into live mode and 'poof' it removes the stuck image. While counter is out of the way, sweep up any dead bugs, dust bunnies, etc. and replace all decor back where it was. :D

Thank you, I'll try this!
& get my broom out for dust bunnies too

Pleasantview - Family Tree
Strangetown - Family Tree
Rhinehart - Royal Kingdom Challenge
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: 1000 pages.... time to start a new one!
Page 687 of 1000