Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
just a girl
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 3:20 PM
Default How to determine mod compatibility with expansion packs
I was about to start uploading my mod and then I thought it'd probably be a bad taste to tick all EPs in compatibility section just because it's what I have.
But I've no idea how to tell which expansions will the downloaders need for the mod to work properly. I've tested it on my Ultimate Collection and that's it.

To give you some info, it's a global mod for autonomous ocean swimming, based on Inge Jones's GetInSeaPatch. Original mod is suitable for those whose latest EP either Bon Voyage or Free time or Apartments. I could rely on that, but what if my changes of functionality also affected EP requirements?
How do you, more experienced modders, deal with this?

Any tips welcome. Thanks!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 4:23 PM
Usually I don't, it's too hard.
I use SimPe's Profiles and have a different profile for every EP so I can detect in SimPE if a mod calls on an op-code or constant that doesn't exist in the EP that I want it for. Then I have a separate (old) computer dedicated just for this where I can uninstall/install EPs as needed just for testing. To confirm EP compatibility takes a lot of time so I only do that to suit a request, otherwise I just say "It 'requires all EPs and SPs".
just a girl
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 5:25 PM Last edited by Lamare : 29th Sep 2016 at 6:14 PM.
Thank you for reply, Chris.
Could you fill me in about these SimPe's Profiles? Not sure, what do you mean, even googled it. If you're talking about changing system folders in settings, sounds promising, I've got to try that.

Edit: yes, it works, I can spot 'unknown' BHAVs.

So those who have Bon Voyage and Seasons should be fine. Still, not sure if that's enough information without testing.