Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 10:10 PM
Maxis should retake control over the sims series. Like they doing with sim city.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by oddball
This seriously cracked me up. I'd like to think my sims are gorgeous but this is pushing the envelope a bit. Methinks this Hilleman is projecting. I, for one, never thought to have a "deeper, emotional interaction" (hel-lo, goosebumps!) with my sims. I'd rather my sims have that with one another, as someone already mentioned.

I think the "deeper, emotional interraction" was meant for those people that enjoy killing sims off.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
You wonder where this guy is coming from, don't ya? I mean...he has no idea why we are at home/school with our desktop/laptops rather than pushing tiny buttons on our cellphones and taking pictures of chairs we want in the game! LOL

Honestly, I think these guys think of their own fun, doing something innovative. It reminds me of an allergy doctor who told me he thought my daughter (then 10 years old) had some genetic disorder the very first time he met her! He based this on the fact that she had an overbite and a small chin. Terrified, I went home to look up the disease only to find out that children with the disorder were moderately to severely mentally handicapped. My daughter is very bright and has no issues with schoolwork. The doctor did eventually apologize..but the joy he seemed to feel when he was examining my daughter makes me wonder if it was the thrill of possibly seeing a rare disorder that made him attempt to diagnose her! She does not have the disorder..obviously. Her pediatrician was not happy with the guy.

These game designers seem to be more interested in developing something new and exciting to them than to the people who actually buy the franchise. Even if Simport catches on, is it really the reason most of us bought Showtime? Or did we buy Showtime in spite of the Simport feature?

I bought SHT despite the simporting. I tried simporting once and got nowhere with it except that my sim was unplayable while she was on tour, like when you send your kids to boarding school.

I play sims as my own private little soap opera. I play with high free will and some mods that allow my sims to behave like the characters of some of the afternoon soaps.
Free will gives the element of surprise, I never know for sure what they are going to do. They don't always do what I tell them. I also love the extended neighborhood and finding out what the extended families have been doing while I am not watching. I get notifications of their shenanigans or I find out when I check the family tree or change households.

And...wow.. the allergist thought your kid had Pierre-Robin syndrome? what a doof if that is what he thought. RP syndrome is diagnosed as newborns. Those are the exception to the "back to sleep" for newborns and must be placed to sleep on their tummies. (the way babies were put to bed in the"olden days". "Putting newborns to bed on their backs has decreased the incidence of SIDS/ crib death.)
Instructor
#29 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 10:33 PM
Quote:
Many times -- and for a lot of designers -- some portion of the people who are successful in this business have no idea how it happened. And what is more absolutely immobilizing? The fear of having been successful at something you have no concept of how to reproduce.

Ironically, I think this is exactly what's happened with The Sims franchise.

Quote:
you have defined a success in a context that you had no idea. So it's as new to you as everybody else; the problem is all the people around you have no idea that's true.

Again, this fits The Sims franchise to the t. Judging by his description in the rest of the interview, he doesn't have the faintest clue on what makes the franchise so successful.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Scholar
#30 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ticklish
Maxis should retake control over the sims series. Like they doing with sim city.

Maxis is just a division of EA, like Bioware is. Ultimately, the clueless EA drones will still be pulling the strings.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Test Subject
#31 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 11:34 PM
Oh dear, I really don't want the future of the sims to deviate too far from the core basis. I don't want a phone app or a social online sims. They've done well with their updates and improvements to the original sims. That's where I really want their attention to stay.
Scholar
#32 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 11:36 PM
I say Simmers unite and buy the shit out from under EA so we can actually make it a game WE want to play and not just another money maker with "today's gadgets"!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 12:36 AM
So a lot of the time when I play the sims, I make my family...how weird would it be to be friends with myself?? I think the whole 'closer relationship with your sims' creepy and unhealthy.

Very disappointed that I don't (and from what I am reading nearly everyone else doesn't) fall into one of those 3 categories. Guess I'll be sticking to 1, 2 & 3.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ksstrek

And...wow.. the allergist thought your kid had Pierre-Robin syndrome? what a doof if that is what he thought. RP syndrome is diagnosed as newborns. Those are the exception to the "back to sleep" for newborns and must be placed to sleep on their tummies. (the way babies were put to bed in the"olden days". "Putting newborns to bed on their backs has decreased the incidence of SIDS/ crib death.)

He thought she had DiGeorge Syndrome. She was born with a heart defect and had surgery at 9 days of age, which is common with DiGeorge Syndrome patients...BUT the vast majority of babies with heart defects do not have DiGeorge. He used the shape of her face to diagnose. We know she was tested for Downs at birth but not sure about DiGeorge. She was adopted..and we went to get her while she is in the hospital in California so not sure what tests were done. Her pediatrician says there is no chance she has DiGeorge and didn't even need to test her. She is healthy, no immune system problems, very bright...gifted even, a talented artist...etc. Just a very bad doctor.

Anyway...Glad I posted this article. It is not 'fear' of the unknown which makes people reject this guy's ideas. We all have dreams of how we would like the Sims franchise to grow and change...it is posted on this forum. But this guy is using new technology to excuse changes to a popular game, thinking we will all follow along. These changes CHANGE the game so that it is no longer the same game, but a different game...and one many of us don't want to play. The reason Sims 3 is sooo popular is because it appeals to all ages and both genders. Many folks who play the Sims do not play any other games. It is unique and has a unique demographic. Changing to another game will change that demographic. It is sad to see this stuff even considered since they have captured the market of this unique demographic and yet want to compete with everyone else instead for the masses of super-connected people who think cell phones and tablets have a huge place in their lives.

Sorry..but I have a cheap cell phone with no bells and whistles and as of yet, no tablet. When I do get one it will be for specific uses, not to stay connected 24 hours a day and ignore the people I am physically with. I really hate that.
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:13 AM
So, looks like Rich Hilleman is a complete moron.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
Yeah, I don't know a single person who plays Sims who actually fits this guy's descriptions of types of Simmers.
I was especially dismayed by the whole 'talk to your Sim in a phone app' idea. I don't want a relationship with my Sims, I want them to have relationships with each other. With real interactions and varied animations to express their feelings for each other. Better romance, better fights, better friendships. Leave me out of it.

This.

/7char

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Scholar
#37 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:57 AM
I don't know whether this is pathetic or funny... It's not like simmers are a shy, quiet bunch. The market research on what Sim players actually do want can be found on any major forum in any number of languages.

Now, if you asked me what I want. Yeah, I want an application for my phone that would allow me to draw out the blueprints for a house. But then I want to take that save file, transfer it to my Desktop and have the game automatically build the house. Because life sometimes interferes with my simming and I can't be at my desktop.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 3:03 AM
Omg, are you kidding me! Where in the world do these people live that they think everyone (all Simmers) want an phone app that allows your Sim to call you or you call your Sim or something else just as stupid?

I might have mentioned in a thread one time about ideas for Sims4 that i dreamed of the day my Sims talked to me, instead of me talking to other players while I am playing my game..but I never meant actually having a Sim talk to me, or interact with me on an Iphone. Surely, I haven't become that crazy yet!

Geez, just give me back my Sims, TS3 is so different from TS2 that I can hardly bare it, though I do play it a lot more often than I did. But if they are going to continue in this weird, hippiefyed, glass eyed, bubble blowing, mind set, count me out.

It has been hard enough to even deal with the animations of TS3, or the game set up, traits, a lack of interactions between Sims, the confinement of not being able to just make a Sim movie like we did in TS2 without having to put up with a lack of emotions in TS3's Sim's faces let alone deal with a Sim that directs the Sims?!

Good grief, I think I really am done with this series.
Banned
#39 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cameranutz2
I say Simmers unite and buy the shit out from under EA so we can actually make it a game WE want to play and not just another money maker with "today's gadgets"!

Oh yes, I'd love to see a game made by the most divisive and argumentative group of people on the planet. No way that could go wrong.

EA sucks but I have to say a group of amateurs who disagree on absolutely every aspect of the game would not do a better job.
Instructor
#40 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 4:20 AM
I didn't see one single slightly-appealing idea in this

waiter, there's a conundrum in my soup
The Adom Legacy
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 4:35 AM
Interesting to see how few of us actually fit the demographic this fellow wants to court. One should never feed the ants, by the way.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 5:33 AM
As a machinima artist . . .

NO.

I want FULL CONTROL and I know how to get it. Free will = off. THERE. NO MORE BATHROOM BREAKS.

Jeez, they think we're all imbeciles or something.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Alchemist
#43 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 6:26 AM
He's not winning any friends, either, in a non-Sims context. Ha ha. Gotta love the tweet Markus Persson sent. Seems a lot of EA people just have a way about 'em - sort of anti-happymaking oozing out of the corporate pores.
http://www.webpronews.com/ea-exec-o...success-2012-03
Field Researcher
#44 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 7:02 AM
If they think I would pay 20 dollars for a virtual chair they are idiots. Enough said.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lorinsv60
Will Wright, help us!

Won't happen. Will Wright is busy creating a game which will spy on you and then report back to the game company. For instance: the game will know how much money you have in your pocket and then suggest activities nearby that might be of interest.

Creepy much?
Forum Resident
#46 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:50 AM
EA needs to learn that technology is no replacement for content...

Meaning: all the bright, shiny technological advances shouldn't be the focus of development. Development should be centered on gameplay. If they're building the game around the delivery method, then they're doing it wrong...

For instance, does anyone want to play the Sims on their iPhone? I have a hard enough time seeing the thumbnails in catalog view on my laptop screen... can you imagine how small they'll be on an iPhone? Try building a house on your iPhone, I dare you! Same goes for sculpting a sim's features. Good luck doing THAT on an iPhone.

As someone else said, I don't want to take my sims to wherever I go and act like they were visiting that place with me. I'd much rather my sims have interesting places to visit IN THE GAME, so I can travel the world vicariously through THEIR adventures. And that doesn't require an iPhone app or an internet connection... it just requires a kickass game engine with lots of flexibility, lots of interactions and animations, plenty of building materials, loads of furniture and decor items, and a variety of worlds.

I also don't want to have a chat with my sims. Um... because they're not REAL. I'll limit myself to, you know, talking to real people. In the real world. My sims can chat with each other, thanks.

Why do these developers assume that we all want to blur the line between fantasy and reality? I'm quite happy with my real life; I don't need my sims intruding into it. Nor do I need to inject myself into the virtual world of my sims.

After reading that article, I'm seriously concerned for the mental well-being of the people who work for EA. Because every interview I've ever seen from these people sounds like they're clinically insane.
Test Subject
#47 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 11:35 AM
Why can't we go back to having a game that's essentially a blank canvas, where we can do whatever we want to do, instead of being funnelled into a game that's basically someone else's idea of fun?

Or would that be too painful for EA, sacrificing their money-making schemes for actual customer satisfaction?
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#48 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by -Zol-
Why can't we go back to having a game that's essentially a blank canvas, where we can do whatever we want to do, instead of being funnelled into a game that's basically someone else's idea of fun?

Or would that be too painful for EA, sacrificing their money-making schemes for actual customer satisfaction?

Actually if you think about it, it would make more sense money-making wise to stick to the already guaranteed formula for success and just take it further by just improving and developing stuff that's already there... but if they forcefully change the fundamental core of the game and turn it inside out they will kill of the whole franchise at once.

Sure people will buy stuff based on The Sims name alone... but if they take out the sandbox aspects of a freakin' sandbox game... PEOPLE ARE NOT THAT STUPID.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 12:34 PM
I feel so old. When they announced Showtime it felt as if EA were telling me that I was not part of their demographic. That I didn't count. Then came Katy Perry twinkle-sparkle-tweeny-stuff, and I felt even more excluded. Now this.

Gaming has been my main hobby for nearly 30 years, eating more hours of my life than I like to admit. In bad times, it has been an escape. In good times, a source of relaxation. Now more and more of gaming is moving away from the safe, comfortable single player experience that suits me so well. I feel almost as if my way of life is threatened.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AnnaIME
I feel so old. When they announced Showtime it felt as if EA were telling me that I was not part of their demographic. That I didn't count. Then came Katy Perry twinkle-sparkle-tweeny-stuff, and I felt even more excluded. Now this.

Gaming has been my main hobby for nearly 30 years, eating more hours of my life than I like to admit. In bad times, it has been an escape. In good times, a source of relaxation. Now more and more of gaming is moving away from the safe, comfortable single player experience that suits me so well. I feel almost as if my way of life is threatened.

Agree, Anna. Sims 3 is what pulled me into gaming, that and muds/mushes. I have played since Sims 1 was first released. Very few games have held my attention for long, Star Wars Galaxies for a while, The Longest Journey until I finished....and my vain search for more that interest me has worn me out. I no longer look. If Sims continues to become more shallow and more about online spamming of friends, I will give that up too. Then I guess I will have to be content with my books and grandchildren.
Page 2 of 7