Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2005 at 5:50 PM Last edited by jpaugh78 : 16th Oct 2005 at 6:02 PM.
Default Adding a subset.....HELP
Okay, i've tried the tutorial on this site that tries to explain how to add a subset to an object. Like if i clone an object that just has one mesh, if i wanted to make it have 2 meshes, like one part wood, and one part glass. I have been through the tutorial a couple of times, and i just can't seem to get it to work. The other thing i'd like to be able to do is have options to recolor just a certain part of the mesh. A good example would be the maxis kitchen counters. The first row lets you choose which color counter, then the 2nd row lets you choose what color you want the doors to be. By learning how to do this, i'll be able to let the user have a style choice, by offering the same object with more then one style. If somebody could walk me through the process it would be much appreciated.

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense." - Chapman Cohen
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 5:13 PM
I wonder if maybe we could sweet talk to SimPE people to make a plugin that allowed you to export an entire subset, to transfer it over to another package? Would that be to much to ask for? hehe

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense." - Chapman Cohen
Fluffy
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 6:36 PM
jpaugh,

what is it that doesn't work with you?
you've cloned something, then replaced one mesh and added another one,
is it the texture that's giving you problems?
it's important that both meshes have their own GMND, texture image, material definition,material override and entry in Shape
give your second mesh an easily remembered name, for instance if the first one is 'wood', call the second one 'glass',
then clone all of the above, and replace all instances of 'wood' with 'glass'
make sure all lines refer to the right mesh/material definition etc.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 6:51 PM
hmmm, what you just said sounds a lot less complicated then that tutorial thats on this site. Near the end he mentions making sure the material definition and texture file reference the correct sub group and instance....i never could figure that part out.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 12:22 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 21st Jun 2006 at 10:37 AM. Reason: removed attachment
Okay, i did a test, and everything looks fine in the scenographer, but if you goto the GDMC and choose the "\/ibrator_test_gmdc" one, and try to view the 3d object....the texture isn't going on it. Could you look at my package and maybe point out what i did wrong?

*note* this was just a test, both object are in teh same position, so they would overlap each other in game, but i was just seeing if it would work.

Fluffy
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 9:52 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 21st Jun 2006 at 10:21 AM.
but what's really bugging me is that I can't seem to get the bloody thing to work
I've found some mistakes, and some really weird ones
you have some wrong references
for instance: in the second GMND, you really have to replace all instances of 'sculpture' with dildo_large, that means in the tsNoShadow, tsDesignModeEnabled, and the final line should be renamed
your new mat def file refers to the wrong texture
and it's probably a good idea to give the second mmat a new family string
now, I'm not sure about this, but I think the Shape file names have to be the same as those of the gmnd and gmdc, so vibrator_tslocator_shpe

now, on to the 'weird' problems
I'm wondering what version of SimPE you're using
fixing integrity makes me lose the colour of the one that was working
your reference numbers are a mess, I don't know how that happened, but I think you can fix that by updating MMAT's in object data
I think you also need to add some, take a look at Numenor's checklist for info on what I'm talking about

so, some suggestions instead of a real 'fix'
forget about the tutorial I remember trying that one once and failing miserably, I had better results doing it on my own
as good a tutorial as that is, it was written for a different version of Simpe, things have gotten much easier now
make things easier on yourself and import your second mesh into the first gmdc, this means you don't have to clone the shape, gmnd and gmdc, just add the second mesh to them
try again, and open a second version of Simpe, with a mesh of, say, the diningchair opened, that one has one gmdc, with two subsets that can be coloured separately, you can keep your own uv-maps and texture images (I think both meshes of the diningchair are mapped to one texture)
fix integrity... a lot. it saves so much trouble

I'm sorry I can't actually fix your package, it nags at me
I'll probably try again later
The ModFather
retired moderator
#7 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 4:35 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 21st Jun 2006 at 7:24 PM. Reason: removed attachment
JPaugh, here are my findings.

1) When creating an object, never ever hit "Assign Hash"; that is a button that is no longer used in object creations: nowadays, its only use is for chlothes and skins. Instad, perform a "Fix Integrity": you can do it as many times you want, and it will fix the problems caused by the improper use of the Assign Hash.

2) I've started reading the tutorial you mention, but I stopped immediately: the SimPE can do the job much better than the Mesh Tool, in a more friendly way (I'll explain later).

3) Adding a second subset doesn't mean adding a second GMDC: in your package, you did a good job in rebuilding the whole scenegraphic chain for the added GMDC, but the scenegraphic chain starts in the Resource Node: the second shape isn't referenced in the Resource node (and it's not simple to add a second shape into the CRES...). If you look at the Scenegrapher output, you'll se, down in the window, all your added files unlinked (orphan). This means that those files will not be read by the game.

4) When you create a name, any name (e.g. for the subset, or in the scenegraph rename window, etc...), never use the underscore; if you need to separate two words, use the "minus" (e.g. NOT "|>ildo_large", but rather "|>ildo-large"; even better: "|>ildoLarge"). Also, when creating a name for the Scenegraph Rename wizard, don't use too short or simple names: it must be a unique name (e.g., NOT "\/ibrator", but rather "jpaugh78-\/ibrator-16102005", where the number is a date).

5) Both the Material overrides have the same Family number: this may confuse the game and for sure confuses SimPE; use the Hash Generator, built-in into SimPE, to create a new Family number (the Hash Generator calls it "GUID").

6) Both the Material Overrides contain the original object GUID (0x8CA69957), instead of the one that you registered for your object (0x00067008).

7) In the Shape, "Parts" tab, delete all the entries that have no correpondance with the existing subsets (if the "groundshadow" doesn't exist in the GMDC, you have to delete it from the Shape, too).

8) If you want to ensure recolourablility for your object, the Material Definitions should always have names that follow this pattern: cresName_subsetName_colour_txmt; therefore, for the added subset, in this case we shouyld have: jpaugh78-\/ibrator-16102005_|>ildoLarge_test_txmt (original name was: \/ibrator_sculpure_test_txmt).

9) When you have cloned the TXMT, you have correctly replaced the reference to the texture, but only in the "File List" tab; in the Properties tab there was the old reference (that is the one that the game uses).

10) You don't need more than 1000 facets to create a simple cylinder like the large \/ibrator: I've reduced the facets using Milkshape's "Direct X tools"; now the poly count is around 400 (I could have reduced it more, but it's just a test; and in any case reducing the number of polygons is difficult; it's better to build the model with less facets and subdivisions).

I'm attaching the fixed package (I'd say: "enjoy", but it may be misunderstood! I can't believe we have talked so long of \/ibrators, lol!).

I'll explain my method of adding a second subset another time: I have to rush!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 4:38 PM
sorry for using those object for this test....but it was the first thing i thought of, lol. I'll check this out later today when I get off work and see if i can make any sense of it. Thanks for your help so far and i'll look forward to you telling how you add a subset

The ModFather
retired moderator
#9 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 4:40 PM
And my regards to Blade
Do you create the meshes for Pandorasims objects?

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 4:41 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 21st Jun 2006 at 10:39 AM.
I let him use my |>ildo mesh. I haven't made anything else for him yet. I don't particularly like my stuff going on pay sites, so i like to keep most of what i make on this site.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 4:35 AM
Could somebody take a look at this package and tell me what i did wrong? I tried targa's new tutorial located here . It crashes the game when i click on the sub category that the table is in.... :sadpanda:
Attached files:
File Type: rar  modern set -- dining table (base).rar (51.8 KB, 17 downloads) - View custom content

The ModFather
retired moderator
#12 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 7:59 AM
Jpaugh, in the GMND, cObjectGraphNode tab, you have added a line #9, but it isn't "enabled"; select it and change the value into the "Enabled" field to 1 (currently is zero).
I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, but that's what I've found so far.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 12:41 PM
Wow, that was all that was wrong. It works now. Thanks a ton. Here is a screenshot in game, in case anybody cares what i was doing, hehe.
Screenshots

Part-time Hermit
#14 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 1:15 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 21st Jun 2006 at 10:39 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by jpaugh78
Wow, that was all that was wrong. It works now. Thanks a ton. Here is a screenshot in game, in case anybody cares what i was doing, hehe.

I'm disappointed, no |>ildo this time?

Kidding aside, it's a cool table .
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 1:47 PM
Now, can somebody show me how to do partial recolors? I want to have the ability to change the glass color, and also to change the wood style. Pretty please? hehe

Part-time Hermit
#16 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 2:04 PM
Now, can somebody show me how to do partial recolors? I want to have the ability to change the glass color, and also to change the wood style. Pretty please? hehe

In the version of the table that's downloadable earlier in this thread, only the solid parts are recolorable (the black/brown parts). To recolor those, start up OW and select Load Object, then browse to this package and select Color Options. From there it works like regular recoloring.

To be able to recolor the glass, you need to add that as a recolorable subset, too. I've never done that before, but I think it includes having to add the glass subset to the Design Mode Enabled list. The glass doesn't have a texture image, so you'll have to edit the Material Definition file in the recolor package. If I remember correctly, it's the numbers on the line called stdMatDiffCoef that you have to edit. There are three decimal numbers for red, green and blue. Look at the RGB values of your desired color in a paint program, and they are listed as between 0 and 255. Divide each value by 255, and you get the decimal numbers needed.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 3:11 PM
In addition to the GMND editing, as suggested by IgnorantBliss, you need to create a new MMAT (Material Override) for the "glass" subset.

Clone the existing MMAT and change the following:
- Family: create a new value using the Hash Generator tool
- name: put the name of the TXMT related to the glass ("jpaugh78modernkitchentable10.25.05_glass") preceded by the prefix ##0x1c050000!
- subsetName: replace with the name of the recolourable subset ("glass"); it's the same that you added to the GMND
- IMPORTANT: change the Instance number of the new MMAT to 0x5001 (from the "Resource" tab; you can use the Fix Integrity, as an alternative).

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 5:13 PM
so will it organize it for me? i want it to be so that the top row changes the glass and the bottom row changes the wood. Is there anything special i need to do to accomplish that? I want it like the maxis kitchen counters are. Thanks for everybodies help.

Part-time Hermit
#19 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 5:26 PM
so will it organize it for me? i want it to be so that the top row changes the glass and the bottom row changes the wood. Is there anything special i need to do to accomplish that? I want it like the maxis kitchen counters are. Thanks for everybodies help.

In my game, at least, the rows change places all the time, and what was on the top row the last time might be in the bottom row the next.
Scholar
#20 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 6:23 PM
i tried the tutorial however my new mesh won't appear in the game it's invisible...
Part-time Hermit
#21 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ToRnado
i tried the tutorial however my new mesh won't appear in the game it's invisible...

Time to check your mesh names in Models in GMDC, do they match the Parts names under Shapes?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
In my game, at least, the rows change places all the time, and what was on the top row the last time might be in the bottom row the next.

There has to be a method to the madness, lol

Part-time Hermit
#23 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 9:23 PM
There has to be a method to the madness, lol

It seems to be random on Maxis objects, too, so I don't know if there is a way to control it. But does it really matter, though?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 9:28 PM
Well, on the maxis objects, say for the kitchen counters.....the top row is for changing the counter color. Then the bottom row is to change the appearence to the cabinets below. I guess as long as the top stuff stays on the top, and the bottom stuff stays on the bottom...i dont' care. Do they get organized like that according to which object the texture changes?

Part-time Hermit
#25 Old 26th Oct 2005 at 9:30 PM
Well, on the maxis objects, say for the kitchen counters.....the top row is for changing the counter color. Then the bottom row is to change the appearence to the cabinets below. I guess as long as the top stuff stays on the top, and the bottom stuff stays on the bottom...i dont' care. Do they get organized like that according to which object the texture changes?

In my game, the rows switch places even for the same object, so it doesn't seem like there is any logic to it.
Page 1 of 2