Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 10:36 PM
Default Assumptions about your sims Vs. Statistics
Um... naming threads isn´t my strong suit.

Oftentimes I find me typing in the various "what´s your sims world like" threads in utter certainity that what I put down is the truth. Only, ever so often it isn´t.
I like filling out surveys and quizzies, so I sometimes make surveys for my sims, pretending their government invites (or requires) them to fill them out. Those sheets can be anything from a simple census to in-depth questions about their lovelife (My sims always answer truthfully, by the way. In real life a number of them would cheat at some questions, but I´m more interested in getting the numbers than roleplaying the answering process).
In the end of those surveys there are always soms surprises waiting. For example I was dead sure I had a lot of magic users among my Desiderata Valley playables, one third or more. Nope, the actual percentage of eligible sims (teen to elder) is only 11%. But since those few play such important roles in the chronicle and many non-casters know a smattering of magic lore, I overestimated the numbers. Instead of saying Desiderata has many magic users I should call it a magic rich place.
Same for residents with nomad ancestry, sims named after dead relatives and bisexual sims - the percentage was far lower than it was in my head.

But I I think it is okay, after all. In real life we make more or less accurate guesses on others (people, countries, cultures) all the time, so I mentally file my assumptions as "this is what the other countries think about Desiderata based on how prelevant those bits of information are in the global news".

Anyone else prone to assumptions about their sims that cannot withstand reality? Do you notice? Do you even care?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 2:01 AM
Most of my assumptions with my sims stem from what I think I sim will do or act when in reality they act completely different. For instance, I was once playing that Gavigan family. I assumed Mary would be the loving wife and mother - typical 50's housewife type deal. However, when her and Nathan were unable to conceive a child when they both desperately wanted one, instead of clinging to her husband and son like I thought she would, she waited until Nathan was at work and then woohooed with a townie, resulting in the birth of twin girls. A couple sim days later, she showed up at a very "Adult" party with the Romance sim of that hood and became a regular there. She also ended up taking in the love child of the Romance sim and his townie lover and raised the boy as her own alongside the twins. And when it comes to woohoo or relationships, I do not control my sims at all. So, she completely knocked my assumptions out of the water.

Then there have been times when I have played a medieval hood that I assumed the social structure and social groups would work a certain way. I had planned on there being a 'royal' family, merchant families, and then poor and even slave families. I assumed the king, though in this culture he was a Jarl, would rule his kingdom, see his daughter married to a wealthy man, and the kingdom would flourish under his reign. However, within a sim week the Jarl was caught with the wife of a merchant and was killed by the woman's husband, making the merchant the Jarl. The former Jarl's daughter was kicked out of the castle and forced to marry a poor sim. A couple days after the new Jarl settled in, he ended up catching his wife in bed with another man and was killed when he attacked his wife's lover. So the new man took his place as Jarl only to die a couple days later from the plague. So the whole storyline and every assumption I had of this hood was flushed down the toilet.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
I often make assumptions of my sims' behaviors, because it's how I make sense of the sim world. What I assume is what happens. There is no other means for me to compare.

Yes, those I know, too. Like seeing two seems dance close to each other the whole evening and assuming they do so because they feel attracted to each other. That assumption then becomes truth and it is how I play, too
But I was talking about another kind of assumption, the kind that can happen when one plays favourites or is especially immersed in a certain aspect of something. Those assumptions are not about the sims, but about my own playstyle, a matter of self-reflexion. And they cannot become the truth, because when you can count something there is little to no leeway for interpretation. I have an abundance of girl children - fact. I have an abundance of playable witchs - wrong.