Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#651 Old 20th Feb 2014 at 4:32 AM
The crowns are from here and the hair is from here (first hair in case it isn't obvious). I'm glad you like the pics and are looking forward to my website, I already have a good idea of what stories I want to write and writing comes pretty easily to me when I'm in the right mood so I should have something worth looking at soon (might be a bit bare picture-wise, and of course the stories I'm writing might sound familiar already to the people who've read my posts here, but that should change with future stories). Speaking of looking forward to websites, I can't wait to see what you'll do with yours, AriTheWise! And Lady Scarlet, I know how you feel, writer's block is the worst. Hopefully you'll be inspired again soon, I always love your stories! I'm also super excited for the full release of version 3.0, but of course no need to feel rushed M3g7e!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#652 Old 20th Feb 2014 at 5:32 AM
Oh my gosh, those hairs are AMAZING. My internet usage is going to through the roof now
Instructor
#653 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 3:28 PM
I decided to start this challenge and will be doing some world-building first, since I am starting from scratch. I think I'll wait until version 3.0 is out completely to start the actual playing. But I don't think the actual building a world part (setting up the fiefs etc) will change from the teaser to the final version, so world-building is a good place to start, I think. I'm pretty excited to finally start this :D
Instructor
#654 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 4:12 PM
Hey there, samantha_kathy! Welcome to Warwickshire ^^ It's great to see so many new people interested in this amazing challenge. I can't wait to read or see some pictures from your game, as soon as you have everything settled ^^ Good luck with all the ... building and organizing that you have to do, because I know how toilsome that can be.
And now that it's Friday ... back to my game XD I have to have that promised chapter posted >.>
Instructor
#655 Old 21st Feb 2014 at 5:29 PM Last edited by samantha_kathy : 21st Feb 2014 at 7:49 PM.
Hah, I'm already running into trouble. I've got 1 residential subneighborhood, which is a Duchy, with a Duke, and that's subdivided into smaller fiefs. But the main neighborhood is the Royal Court - does that mean no fiefs, just an 'expanded' Royal citadel/lands thing? As in, I don't need noble and gentry families to hold lands in the main neighborhood? Because that's how I read it. But if the main neighborhood is a Duchy, is the King the Duke or do I need a seperate Duke? And I would think I'd still need peasants and such in the main neighborhood. *is confused* Basically, I'm a bit confused as to how to set up the main neighborhood, due to the Royal Household being there.

Edited to add: nevermind, I figured it out. Yes, it's a duchy, and yes you make fiefs in the main neighborhood.

Another, much simpler question, is about marriage ages. It says the marriage partner of the King should be "no more than two age spans older or younger" - so is an age span a life stage? As in, a child and an adult can be bethrothed, (since child-adolescent-adult, so no more than 2 spans apart), but toddler and adult is too much of a difference?

Edited to add: one more question, about serfs. Only nobles and up may have indentured serfs. But can a serf still live on a nested fief held by the gentry? Say, in my duchy I have a shire. Can the indentured serf live on a plot of land in the shire, but pay the duke? Or does he have to live on land that belongs only to the duke, and is not a part of any other fief within the duchy?
Instructor
Original Poster
#656 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 2:13 AM Last edited by M3g7e : 22nd Feb 2014 at 3:38 AM.
Hello, hello everyone! So good to see all of you: seriously, I've missed you guys!
Warning Y'all: this post is a LONG one!

@MattieOReilly: It is true that I am a CC fanatic. I have been trying to hold my DL folder below 8G, but it is really, really hard to do. I think that finding new CC is like half the fun for me: it's like shopping is for some people (I don't like to shop, personally), but I can't seem to stop downloading cool things I find. I liked all of your stories, and even though I totally understand not having the time to write, I hope you'll consider giving us some pix and updates about how your game is going. I'm always interested in seeing how players are using Warwickshire, even if you've modded it out of recognition.

Lady Scarlet! *waves!!* So good to see you. I am glad you're working on new stories. I've been so dragged down in getting this semester off the ground--and I've had total withdrawal from the game. I am slowly trying to rebuild, but that is rather a chore, and sorta heartbreaking at the same time. So much will have to change and I hate all the delays ... new stories are months away for me ... so I am really, really looking forward to your new chapters! Seriously, I've been thinking about it the past two days as I've been grading this first set of papers. :lovestruc

@Radium: Hi, again! Good to see your updates! I really love all the political intrigue and hope you will have time to put everything together in a website. Geez, I know how time consuming that is, but your simmies are so pretty, I do hope you'll have time! I would love to see pix of King Johannes and Duke Edward. All the political intrigue ... I love it. When my own nh blew up (finally--it was coming for a long time), the Geoffrey Rochester , rightful Duke of Andover was just ready to mount an insurrection against King Harold. I think, though, he will likely just commit regicide ... Harold rather has it coming, and Geoffrey has tons of his own problems ... but that is another story for another day.

@AriTheWise ... not sure about final release date for 3.0 ... it will likely still be a ways off ... but that is due to the intervention of real life. There is no question, however, that I will release it--eventually, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

@samantha_kathy: welcome back! and glad to hear you're setting up a Warwickshire hood. As to your first question--you resolved it well, you may certainly have nested fiefs in your main hood. And yes, an age span is a life stage, so idea would be that you wouldn't have a toddler marry an adult or a teen marry an elder, etc. Serfs may live on fiefs nested within a larger fief--so yes, serfs can live in a shire, as long as that shire is part of a fief with a titled noble, i.e. a barony or higher.

And now, to answer more of your questions, Yvi-sama:

Quote: Originally posted by Yvi-sama
Table 15: Heriot Tax Rates (page 42): (again with the Serfs...) “25% of family funds [total or available?] or assets” → again the question of Serfs possessing Assets.

Serfs cannot hold assets or be taxed on them in 3.0--this will change in the final version of 3.0.
Table 15 will be revised to read:
Serfs: 25% of family funds only
Freeman & Peasant: 25% of family funds and assets
Merchant: 20% of family funds and assets
Gentry: 20% of family funds and assets
Noble: 20% of assets only

Home schools (page 53): “Sims of any class station may purchase a Simlogical
Homeschool table in order to educate themselves” but then “Public Day School is the
only option for Bourgeois class […] to earn a basic education”?

I can see the confusion, and will make sure to clarify this in the final version. Sims of any class station may purchase a simlogical home school station. However, bourgeois children do have several options--so this passage is just confusing ... they can attend public day school, private day school (if they can get in), or public boarding school.

Private University (page 57): “open to Gentry class males [...] graduated from a Private Boarding
School” ok, so I can sent my Bourgeoisie boys to Private Boarding School, but they can only get into the Public University, which requires only a Public Boarding School education, right?

No: bourgeois children may attend public boarding school, but not private boarding school. Bourgeois students may attend Public University after graduation.

The basic system is as follows (I hope I get this right ...!):
Serfs, Freemen, Peasants: Homeschool Table--> Public Day School (end)
Bourgeoisie: <Homeschool Table--optl>---> Public Boarding School OR Private Boarding School-->Public University OR Apprenticeship
Gentry: Nanny--> Governess/Tutor OR Private Day School OR Prep School--> Private Boarding School --> Private Finishing School or Private University
Nobles: Nanny --> Governess/Tutor OR Prep School --> Private Boarding School OR Elite Boarding School --> Elite Finishing School or Ivy League University

Opening a Homebusiness:
- To open a home business, my sim does need to have a finished apprenticeship or an apprenticeship + trade school or trade school or is it possible to open a shop without any of the before mentioned educations?
-“Financial reserve in liquid assets […] not less than 20% of TFW” how do I label this reserve?

I think this is something that needs to be made more clear in the challenge: it really does not say this anywhere yet. In the final version, there will be a section to address starting new businesses. New businesses may not be opened without successful completion of an apprenticeship, since new merchants must be eligible to join a trade guild, i.e. be a journeyman or higher. However (there are always caveats ... an heir may inherit a business owned by his family and operate without having completed his apprenticeship. In such cases, he will be given one season grace period during which time he will be expected to complete an apprenticeship in his own, or another merchant's shop, under the supervision of a trained journeyman or master tradesman, so that he may become a dues paying member of a trade guild. Failure to complete an apprenticeship successfully during this time will result in closing of the family business(es) owned, though the real property owned may be retained by the family. Also, it would be possible for the heir to have another master or journeyman tradesman to run the business and for him to oversee it, or even to work there--but there must be a trained master or journeyman running the shop. Geez, I really hope that makes sense.

Healer/Doctor/Midwife:Can a they heal their own illnesses? Can a birthing midwife due to her expertise use her own score on the birth record? Can a male healer attend a birthing and act like a substitute midwife (maybe half-points off?)

Nope. A midwife cannot use her own expertise on her own birth score. A male healer would have to have the same training as a midwife to be able to use his skill toward the birth score ... so his medical training would not count. The only points he could use would be the ones that count for natural healers. In other words, his skill would be based upon his natural healer points earned and not his medical training. At this time, physicians learned the art of midwifery from midwives--Jane Sharp and other midwives wrote long books and case studies which doctors used to learn their art. They were rather protective and jealous of their knowledge,and not always glad to train men in these arts.

Spacing Pregnancies (page 36): I kinda liked the class-influenced spacing better, as well as the survival-rate due to better hygiene in higher class homes. Is there a way to restore the old idea a little?

Sure. Why not? I think this is one that individual players can decide upon. I haven't had a pregnancy go over 26 hours in so long, I rather forget how long they are supposed to really be. But yes, spacing pregnancies is fine ... so you can use the 2.0 rules if you like them better. I find with ACR that most of my families don't have more than four kids anyway, so I hardly think about it anymore.

Diseases: Could you create a list, which makes it easier to calculate the risk of catching a disease (like age, zodiac sign, …) About mental illnesses: I don't understand how you get these (low aspiration level?) Sorry, the chards are quite hard to read on the pc, since they are sideways ^.^”

What about table 27 on p. 39? What I usually do for myself is roll for diseases that my sim is susceptible to if s/he catches the flu or a cold or whatever. Otherwise, I might just roll once per season ... again, you are welcome here to devise your own system. The landscape charts are easier to read if you download the pdf and read it in adobe reader--so you can rotate the charts to their proper orientation. As to determine whether your sim has a mental illness ... it would depend upon whether you decide to roll for it or not. In other words, if you never choose to roll for mental illness, none of your sims will have it. Table 35 on p. 46 has the multipliers to determine the presence of mental illness. Aspiration level is directly correlated to the likelihood of mental illness. I have not extensively playtested this aspect yet, but what I plan to do is roll for sims who are in aspiration failure for more than one day at a time ... but I may decide to randomly roll i.e. "test" sims for mental illness periodically and sporadically, to allow for some surprises to show up. I love surprises like this in my game: it really helps with storytelling.

Courtship, Betrothal (page 69):
- Table 54: When the relationship to the father of the bride is “relative”, the charts says “-1” = impossible? I feel this is odd, since the marriage of cousins was quite common back in the days.

The modifier -1 reduces the number of negotiations necessary to reach a successful agreement, making it easier, not harder. So relatives are more likely to marry, not less. The total number of negotiations is six, but if a prospective groom is a relative the total number is reduced by one. So, the next question works the same way--the -1 reduces the total number of negotiations necessary to reach a satisfactory agreement.

- Just for clarification: I always go through all six points of the negotiation and need the number of needed successful points to get married. Or do I only get the number of needed negotiation-levels and need an agreement on all of them? (eg. Groom and bride's father are best friends = 3, the relationship of the fathers is friends = 0. That makes 3 needed negotiations. Do I do all six negotiations and can marry the couple if 3 points are agreed on, or do I only do negotiations 1-3 and need them all to succseed?) ← I hope this isn't too elusive

Yes, you should do all six points of negotiation--in order--but only need the required number of negotiations passed to reach the agreement.

Behavious&Outcomes: The single lists only count for sims with the matching aspiration, right?

No--a sim of any aspiration may perform and receive royal or clerical favor for any behavior and will suffer outcomes/benefits regardless of aspiration. The lists are divided by aspiration for ease of finding the behaviors.

I think that's about it ... hope that helps! In the meantime, I'll be back to rebuilding .. and when I am through the next set of papers I will be back to working on writing again.
Test Subject
#657 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 10:08 AM
Hi there,

thank you so much for answering all my questions

Now I feel more confident to play the challenge Too bad the final version will take so long (well, even a day from now would be too long ) I think in this case I'll visit the copy-shop to print the Teaser

baba
Yvi-sama
Instructor
#658 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 11:22 AM
Thanks for the answers, M3g7e. I'm having great fun figuring this all out and deciding on how to build my neighborhood.
Field Researcher
#659 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 1:07 PM
I'm a CC fanatic too, but I have a contemporary neighbourhood I've been playing the better part of a decade, and I'm far too lazy to find and download and organise a suitable amount of historical content either in my main game, or to set up a separate game folder. I'm sure at some point I'll think of a reason why fashion,architecture and technology have moved on, but the social policies haven't :D
Instructor
#660 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 1:38 PM
I'll admit, it's hard to wrap my brains around this challenge occasionally, it's so vast. I keep bumping into questions. So here's the points I'm stuck on right now:

Level 6-9 titles (gentry titles) aren't heritable, so what happens to those titles when the title holder dies?

How does a the second son of a noble earn his living? Does he mooch off his family? I know he can be a knight, be clergy or have a Royal appointment, but are there other ways? Because he can't own a business and most professions like lawyer and doctor seem to be reserved for gentry. He can hang around court as a Noble in waiting, but he's got to have a way to pay for food and such. Am I missing something here?

Which social class does a midwife have? Lower bourgeoisie? Working class if she's just a midwife, merchant farmer if she's selling potions in a home business? Or does it solely depend on her class status when born?

On a related note, it seems to me that moving up and down on the social ladder is 'easy' in the bourgoisie, compared to the other classes, as it seems to depend solely on how you make your money. Not that I'm any good at running businesses, but that's another point altogether :D.
Instructor
Original Poster
#661 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 8:03 PM Last edited by M3g7e : 22nd Feb 2014 at 8:17 PM.
Samantha-kathy: these are awesome questions. I hope I I make sense ...
Quote: Originally posted by samantha_kathy
I'll admit, it's hard to wrap my brains around this challenge occasionally, it's so vast. I keep bumping into questions. So here's the points I'm stuck on right now:

Wow ... me too. Truly, I cannot say how much I appreciate close readers who take the time to really see where there are potential issues with the challenge. It's hard for me to keep it all straight, and I know that there are always things that could be made smoother and to make a lot more sense.

Level 6-9 titles (gentry titles) aren't heritable, so what happens to those titles when the title holder dies?

This is one of them. My research into titles and the peerage in Renaissance England indicated that these were not heritable titles; however, children of a baronet would certainly still be gentry class, i.e. gentlemen. That said, it does appear that some baronetcies, and especially later ones, were heritable, and given that this title is associated with a fief, I think I will make some changes on this level.
And on the Knighthood, for the same reason. Knights are a really complicated case. And I have to admit to not understanding entirely how it worked. In some European countries there were hereditary knighthoods, but not so far as I can tell in England--the title knight was an honorary title and was not heritable. That said, I don't think for the purposes of the challenge it would ever make sense for me to think that those titles, which are not heritable should have to be repurchased in every generation. So maybe it would make more sense to say, have a title fee for a heritable title which is the full value, i.e. $100K for the baronetcy, $75K for the Knight, but have a reduced fee for successive generations to reapply to the title. For example, 50% for second generation, 25% for third generation, 10% for fourth generation, and the title becomes fully heritable at the fifth generation. Fifth generation baronets and knights could then receive a 20% title fee reduction for any title that would grant them access to the peerage (i.e. level 10). I realize that it means that these titles are more expensive to maintain than the noble titles, but they were not ever part of the peerage and were largely used as cash cows by the crown to raise money. I guess it makes it all the more important to make it out of the gentry--or at least be from a very old family.

As to the titles for the lower gentry: again these are not heritable per se, but the children of a gentleman would certainly still be considered gentry class, i.e. level 6 and the same is true for the esquire, which is a title appended to the surname, i.e. John Doe, Esq. The titles Esquire and Gentleman allow the owner to be called "Mr." whereas the titles of the upper gentry allow for the owner to be called "Sir." Nobles may be called "Lord." For the titles in the lower gentry, I think each successive generation can simply pay a drastically reduced fee to retain the "title" for all of their sons, since it is not attached to a fief. For example, 20% in the first generation, 10% in the second generation, 5% in the third generation, and the title becomes fully heritable in the fourth generation. Fourth generation esquires and gentlemen could then receive a title fee reduction of 20% to purchase upper gentry titles. Again, making it beneficial to come from an old family.

In both of the above cases where title fees are concerned, all rules for royal favor would apply (Table 70, p. 100), so if the family had sufficient royal favor to secure title fee reductions, then it would be even easier to obtain those new titles.

How does a the second son of a noble earn his living? Does he mooch off his family? I know he can be a knight, be clergy or have a Royal appointment, but are there other ways? Because he can't own a business and most professions like lawyer and doctor seem to be reserved for gentry. He can hang around court as a Noble in waiting, but he's got to have a way to pay for food and such. Am I missing something here?

Nah. You're right. Those lesser nobles did a lot of hanging about court and making trouble. But seriously ... they should get good educations, apply for royal appointments and pray that daddy is rich enough--or that they make their own fortune sufficiently--to purchase a title. They can, of course, enter the knighthood or the church--which is what many of the lesser nobles did. Both of these routes offer good potential for having political power. They can also become scholars and enter the university ... to teach younger nobles. Depending upon how you do your education system, you may want them for tutors, dance tutors, private boarding school profs, and so on. And of course they should be very motivated to get royal appointments, which afford the best routes to power and money. These guys 'twill be best served hanging about court writing poetry, seducing the ladies, and generally causing trouble. If that rakish, dissolute life doesn't result in a royal appointment, they might die in a duel ... or at the very least cause a scandal. And of course as to making that fortune ... heiresses are a good bet. And if not that, then (coming soon in the full version), there will be trading companies ... that should prove an excellent source of income for everybody all round.

Which social class does a midwife have? Lower bourgeoisie? Working class if she's just a midwife, merchant farmer if she's selling potions in a home business? Or does it solely depend on her class status when born?

A midwife keeps whatever class station she is born with. Women of the gentry can certainly be midwives, as can the bourgeoisie. As to selling potions, etc--a midwife of the gentry class would probably "sell" these privately to her clients, rather than run a shop, but that is something I'd prefer to leave up to players to decide. There are so many contingencies, and I don't think it makes sense to try to control every possibility up front--it just puts too many limitations on players and the challenge is already a huge enough undertaking.

On a related note, it seems to me that moving up and down on the social ladder is 'easy' in the bourgoisie, compared to the other classes, as it seems to depend solely on how you make your money. Not that I'm any good at running businesses, but that's another point altogether :D.

Not entirely. Though it might seem so at first, money is not necessarily the easiest way to progress up the ladder--though it might be for the bourgeoisie, as you point out. For the upper classes, the best way to get ahead is really through the acquisition of royal and clerical favor (but especially royal favor). I realize--unfortunately--that most players probably find that section of the challenge hard to use, since it is a lot to keep up with--tracking those points --but truthfully, the more favor a sim has, the easier it is to progress. Not only do title fees get reduced and royal appointments become easier to obtain, but fiefs become measurably more powerful, allowing for more nobles and gentry class people to be invited to court, and royal visits to be made, etc, etc--all of which results in greater access to power, and ultimately to ways to work up the ladder. Money is important, but favor can help put you closer to money, and make it easier for you to gain power. For the gentry and noble classes, knowing the right people in the right places and being their friends is really, really important--to make marriages easier to obtain, and to keep those royal appointments coming which allow for greater access to power. And of course to reduce title fees (which I think I said above, so now I'm probably rambling .... )

Anyways, I'm really delighted to see everyone--and hope these answers help!
Instructor
#662 Old 22nd Feb 2014 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M3g7e
Samantha-kathy: these are awesome questions. I hope I I make sense ...

Don't worry, you made sense!

That said, I don't think for the purposes of the challenge it would ever make sense for me to think that those titles, which are not heritable should have to be repurchased in every generation. So maybe it would make more sense to say, have a title fee for a heritable title which is the full value, i.e. $100K for the baronetcy, $75K for the Knight, but have a reduced fee for successive generations to reapply to the title. For example, 50% for second generation, 25% for third generation, 10% for fourth generation, and the title becomes fully heritable at the fifth generation. Fifth generation baronets and knights could then receive a 20% title fee reduction for any title that would grant them access to the peerage (i.e. level 10). I realize that it means that these titles are more expensive to maintain than the noble titles, but they were not ever part of the peerage and were largely used as cash cows by the crown to raise money. I guess it makes it all the more important to make it out of the gentry--or at least be from a very old family.

So basically, the son (and heir) of my baronet (who's first generation) would have to pay 50% of the title fee for baronet in order to inherit his father's title. If he can't pay, he loses his title (but not social rank). In such a case, I imagine the title, and the fief, will be granted to someone else by the king. All descendants of the baronet will have that social class, regardless of whether or not they carry the title, as I understand it.

The same rules apply to lower gentry, only with different fees. The first esquire (for instance) would pay 20% title fee (after he paid the title fee to get the title esquire) so all of his sons can be called esquire.

Nah. You're right. Those lesser nobles did a lot of hanging about court and making trouble. But seriously ... they should get good educations, apply for royal appointments and pray that daddy is rich enough--or that they make their own fortune sufficiently--to purchase a title. They can, of course, enter the knighthood or the church--which is what many of the lesser nobles did. Both of these routes offer good potential for having political power. They can also become scholars and enter the university ... to teach younger nobles. Depending upon how you do your education system, you may want them for tutors, dance tutors, private boarding school profs, and so on. And of course they should be very motivated to get royal appointments, which afford the best routes to power and money. These guys 'twill be best served hanging about court writing poetry, seducing the ladies, and generally causing trouble. If that rakish, dissolute life doesn't result in a royal appointment, they might die in a duel ... or at the very least cause a scandal. And of course as to making that fortune ... heiresses are a good bet. And if not that, then (coming soon in the full version), there will be trading companies ... that should prove an excellent source of income for everybody all round.

In other words, if daddy's rich enough you can hang around court until you get a profitable appointment and otherwise you've got to make your own money - either by marrying an heiress, becoming a knight or a member of the clergy, or that exciting new option of trading companies.... Can't wait to see the full 3.0 version :lovestruc

A midwife keeps whatever class station she is born with. Women of the gentry can certainly be midwives, as can the bourgeoisie. As to selling potions, etc--a midwife of the gentry class would probably "sell" these privately to her clients, rather than run a shop, but that is something I'd prefer to leave up to players to decide. There are so many contingencies, and I don't think it makes sense to try to control every possibility up front--it just puts too many limitations on players and the challenge is already a huge enough undertaking.

Makes sense! And that'll get me started when I create a midwife in my from scratch neighborhood. Single lady, no male relatives, lower bourgeoisie seems like a good bet. That way there's not too much upper class in the neighborhood.

Not entirely. Though it might seem so at first, money is not necessarily the easiest way to progress up the ladder--though it might be for the bourgeoisie, as you point out. For the upper classes, the best way to get ahead is really through the acquisition of royal and clerical favor (but especially royal favor). I realize--unfortunately--that most players probably find that section of the challenge hard to use, since it is a lot to keep up with--tracking those points --but truthfully, the more favor a sim has, the easier it is to progress. Not only do title fees get reduced and royal appointments become easier to obtain, but fiefs become measurably more powerful, allowing for more nobles and gentry class people to be invited to court, and royal visits to be made, etc, etc--all of which results in greater access to power, and ultimately to ways to work up the ladder. Money is important, but favor can help put you closer to money, and make it easier for you to gain power. For the gentry and noble classes, knowing the right people in the right places and being their friends is really, really important--to make marriages easier to obtain, and to keep those royal appointments coming which allow for greater access to power. And of course to reduce title fees (which I think I said above, so now I'm probably rambling .... )

Honestly, I'd rather keep track of the points than try and earn lots of money with businesses. Then again, I'm a list person - I love making lists and keeping track of things. Running a sim business, yeah, not really my thing. Although I have to say, this challenge does force me to finally use that expansion pack!

So, I've spent most of the night building. My world is semi-medieval - as in, not historically accurate, kind-of medieval, but I'm not sweating the details too. I did try to keep it all in the same theme/mood and with the background story I've thought up in mind. About 1/3 of my Royal Court is now done, and here is a sneak peak at the results of my building spree:

Instructor
#663 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 10:31 PM
I've set up my Warwickshire Challenge blog here: http://wyckeham.wordpress.com/ There's still a lot I need to add, but the prologue is up under storyline! More information like lay of the land and character profiles will be added soon.
Instructor
Original Poster
#664 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 11:54 PM
Wow! Looks good! Can't wait to see more. It really makes me want to work on my website again, but I have too much on my plate right now, not to mention the fact that my rebuild is still in the very early stages, and I don't actually have sims ready to play yet. (But I'm working on it!! ) Also, good to hear my responses were helpful--I'm always glad to think about parts of the challenge that need tweaking or don't work well for players.
Instructor
#665 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 6:39 PM
It's me again, with some questions. (Are you getting tired of me yet? )

In the glossary, the same definition is given for a Nanny and a Nursery Maid, only a nanny can oversee several nursery maids. Does that mean a nursery maid can teach toddler skills and do the things a nanny can as described on page 53 under home schools? And can a nursery maid work without a nanny overseeing her?

Another question I had is about the Royal Mistress. It's said the Royal Mistress must be from the noble class. But can the King or Crown Prince have an affair with a servant? If yes, would that make her a mistress, a Lady of Pleasure, or something else?

Last question: I've got some problem understanding table 43 faculty guidelines. I'm thinking hiring guidelines is the minimum number of education points someone must have to be hired for that profession, and badges and skills speaks for itself. But what's the boarding school points mean? Also, am I reading it right that gentry, noble and royal at the very top mean the employer or is it the people he/she is teaching?
Instructor
Original Poster
#666 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 11:26 PM
It's me again, with some questions. (Are you getting tired of me yet? )

Certainly not!

In the glossary ...

Let me stop you right there ... The glossary has not yet been revised and I probably should have yanked it from the teaser ... but to answer your question:

the same definition is given for a Nanny and a Nursery Maid, only a nanny can oversee several nursery maids. Does that mean a nursery maid can teach toddler skills and do the things a nanny can as described on page 53 under home schools? And can a nursery maid work without a nanny overseeing her?

In version 2.0, I had not yet developed a full educational system, which is why the two are lumped together. Nursery maids will always be subservient to Nannies, so if there is only one person overseeing the children, she will be a Nanny by default. And yes, it is fine for the nursery maids to teach toddler skills, since there would be a Nanny overseeing them. I guess they would sorta be Nannies-in-training.

Another question I had is about the Royal Mistress. It's said the Royal Mistress must be from the noble class. But can the King or Crown Prince have an affair with a servant? If yes, would that make her a mistress, a Lady of Pleasure, or something else?

Truth be told, there is no really easy answer to this question. One thing I discovered from writing this part of the challenge is how truly complicated romance is. So, here's the basic idea--for a lady to become the mistress of a lord, or of the king, she cannot be less than 5 class stations below his. Anything less, and she is really just a strumpet--meaning, of course, someone who is so far below him in class as not to really register on his social scale. For the king, this would really reach down to level 12, since practically speaking everyone above level 14 is probably already related to him, i.e the Queen, the Princes and Princesses, and so forth. Below this, the woman is not eligible to become his mistress, but she might be an occasional comfort to him. So, what happens as a result of the triste? That all depends ... first upon whether the woman is married or not, and secondly upon what the husband/father wants to do. Even if the husband or father is outraged (which is rather ridiculous if the man is the king ...) there isn't anything he can do against his majesty, the king--there won't be legal consequences because none can be pressed in such a case. And the social consequences are nothing for royalty in such a situation (see table 59, "Social Consequences of Romantic Affairs.") ... though depending upon the exact difference in class station, there might be consequences for the woman to bear. There is a double standard in play, which is really vicious to women and forgiving to men. History. Whaddarya gonna do? Now, ultimately, all of this is really up to the player to decide upon, because every situation is really so different, and it does matter what happened ... I have a grocer facing the death penalty because a princess seduced him ... ACR, gotta love it. Whether the woman is abandoned by her husband and becomes a lady of pleasure, or the whole thing is swept and away and forgotten--or her husband decides to try to profit from the affair, essentially prostituting her to his lordship--all of this is a matter of storytelling, and what makes the game fun, IMHO. But it also means not always knowing how to proceed ... hope this ramble helps!

Last question: I've got some problem understanding table 43 faculty guidelines. I'm thinking hiring guidelines is the minimum number of education points someone must have to be hired for that profession, and badges and skills speaks for itself. But what's the boarding school points mean? Also, am I reading it right that gentry, noble and royal at the very top mean the employer or is it the people he/she is teaching?

You are right about the hiring guidelines. The distinction there between "boarding school" and "badges/skills," etc indicates where the points need to come from. For example, a nanny hired to care for a gentry class child will need to have a minimum of 15 education points, 8 of which must come from her boarding school preparation, and 5 of which must come from badges/skills earned. The remaining 2 may come from any other category, for example, additional education (like finishing school, or better performance in boarding school) or additional badges, or whatever. The class level does indeed indicate the class level of the student, and not necessarily who is doing the hiring.
Instructor
#667 Old 26th Feb 2014 at 10:26 PM
Certainly not!

Good

In version 2.0, I had not yet developed a full educational system, which is why the two are lumped together. Nursery maids will always be subservient to Nannies, so if there is only one person overseeing the children, she will be a Nanny by default. And yes, it is fine for the nursery maids to teach toddler skills, since there would be a Nanny overseeing them. I guess they would sorta be Nannies-in-training.

Okay, good to know. That means Thea's a Nanny - not that her future prospects are any brighter given that fact. In fact, they might have even become bleaker

Truth be told, there is no really easy answer to this question. One thing I discovered from writing this part of the challenge is how truly complicated romance is. So, here's the basic idea--for a lady to become the mistress of a lord, or of the king, she cannot be less than 5 class stations below his. Anything less, and she is really just a strumpet--meaning, of course, someone who is so far below him in class as not to really register on his social scale. For the king, this would really reach down to level 12, since practically speaking everyone above level 14 is probably already related to him, i.e the Queen, the Princes and Princesses, and so forth. Below this, the woman is not eligible to become his mistress, but she might be an occasional comfort to him. So, what happens as a result of the triste? That all depends ... first upon whether the woman is married or not, and secondly upon what the husband/father wants to do. Even if the husband or father is outraged (which is rather ridiculous if the man is the king ...) there isn't anything he can do against his majesty, the king--there won't be legal consequences because none can be pressed in such a case. And the social consequences are nothing for royalty in such a situation (see table 59, "Social Consequences of Romantic Affairs.") ... though depending upon the exact difference in class station, there might be consequences for the woman to bear.

So an unmarried servant with no male relatives left alive - basically the King can do whatever he wants and whatever consequences there are, are solely for the woman. The King may or may not protect her from it, depening if she's just convenient or if he truly loves her. Hmmm....plenty of fodder for stories. Even more if it results in *gasp* a baby!

I have a grocer facing the death penalty because a princess seduced him ... ACR, gotta love it.

That's hilarious, in a sort of comedic-tragic way (for the grocer, that is). And it's not like you can exactly say no to a princess! Although, I suspect that Daddy will be keeping a closer eye on what his daughter's up to from now on

You are right about the hiring guidelines. The distinction there between "boarding school" and "badges/skills," etc indicates where the points need to come from. For example, a nanny hired to care for a gentry class child will need to have a minimum of 15 education points, 8 of which must come from her boarding school preparation, and 5 of which must come from badges/skills earned. The remaining 2 may come from any other category, for example, additional education (like finishing school, or better performance in boarding school) or additional badges, or whatever. The class level does indeed indicate the class level of the student, and not necessarily who is doing the hiring.

Ah, got it! That table had me just a little bit confused as to how to read it, but I've got it now. I'm assuming that in a mixed school (as in, multiple social levels go there, like royals and nobles), the highest guidelines should be followed.

Just building this world and setting everything is has me thinking up all kinds of stories. Practically everyone in my kingdom, from serf to royals, has a story attached. Although I won't tell all of them on my blog - way too much work! I'm going to focus on two, maybe three storylines at the same time when it comes to blogging. Still, it's funny how setting this up and reading through the guidelines over and over (to look up some details I need) just brings out the story ideas. Love this challenge/playstyle already and I haven't even really played it yet! :lovestruc
Test Subject
#668 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 3:46 PM
: Love this challenge/playstyle already and I haven't even really played it yet! :lovestruc

I feel the same way But I find it very hard to keep an attachment to the families if the neighborhood gets too big , because it takes so long to get back to them and progess their story. I'll try a smaller hood this time (only one Crossrads and the other nobles with non-played peasants etc)

Printed the Teaser and my own charts (RF/CFPoints, Health+Treatments, Biography, ...) in total about 500 sheets of paper I got weird looks and a nice discount

Baba
Yvi-sama
Instructor
#669 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 4:40 PM
I feel the same way But I find it very hard to keep an attachment to the families if the neighborhood gets too big , because it takes so long to get back to them and progess their story. I'll try a smaller hood this time (only one Crossrads and the other nobles with non-played peasants etc)

I don't mind big hoods, especially as this challenge can be played with 1 simday per family before moving on. It keeps things fresh - no time to get bored, as I sometimes get when playing challenges that focus on just one family or call for a week or season per family. Test of Time, for instance, has that problem, which is why I don't play it as much as I should

Printed the Teaser and my own charts (RF/CFPoints, Health+Treatments, Biography, ...) in total about 500 sheets of paper I got weird looks and a nice discount

I'm surprised no one asked you what you were printing or what the heck those tables etc were. But I can just imagine the looks.
Lab Assistant
#670 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 5:45 PM Last edited by AriTheWise : 27th Feb 2014 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Update (kind of?):

I built my new computer (finally, and it wa super annoying because one of the parts was broken and I didn't know) and built my neighbourhood and characters!

I was so close to finally playing. I had fraps and everything and then...

My game crashed (too many sims on the lot), windows updated, and now my resolution is stuck at 800x600. Now I have to fix it (which is hard) instead of playing.

Update 2:

I FIXED IT! This is absolutely amazing! I barely thought I could fix it! WOO!
Test Subject
#671 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AriTheWise
I FIXED IT! This is absolutely amazing! I barely thought I could fix it! WOO!

Great Did you start playing yet?

BTW: are you all using your own charts to keep track or is anyone interested in some I created?

PS: I still have a question regarding the THS: I have a couple of Sims with a THS of over 100 (e.g. Jeff with 145) If he rolls a -14, do I simply take these off (= TSH 131) or does the system ignore everything above 100 and the result is 86?
Instructor
#672 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 9:04 PM
BTW: are you all using your own charts to keep track or is anyone interested in some I created?

I'd be interested in seeing your charts! I might adapt some of them after I've been playing a while, but at least I'd have a good starting place. My normal system won't work for this playstyle, I'm afraid.

PS: I still have a question regarding the THS: I have a couple of Sims with a THS of over 100 (e.g. Jeff with 145) If he rolls a -14, do I simply take these off (= TSH 131) or does the system ignore everything above 100 and the result is 86?

Personally, I haven't set an upper limit for THS scores. So if someone has a score of 145, well, then he can take a pretty good hit without too much consequences - so rolling a -14, he'd have 131 and he'd still be in pretty good health.
Instructor
Original Poster
#673 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 12:06 AM
Back from building ... been working on veggie farmer lots. If I have time over the weekend I may post some pics. Nothing too great yet, just the basics. I am actually enjoying rebuilding so far ...

I can't wait to see everyone's neighborhoods, and hear stories! Yvi-Sama, I can just imagine the looks I don't think the full version will be out until sometime late summer--and even then it should be adding the later chapters, with *hopefully* very few changes to the earlier chapters--though there will likely be page number edits and so forth. At any rate, I think you'll be glad to have the teaser printed ... wow, though 500 pages!! (You must have some pretty awesome charts--would you be willing to share with the thread?) As to your question, above:

Quote: Originally posted by Yvi-Sama

Nope. The result would be 131. A fellow with a THS of 145 is just sinfully healthy.

Just building this world and setting everything is has me thinking up all kinds of stories. Practically everyone in my kingdom, from serf to royals, has a story attached. Although I won't tell all of them on my blog - way too much work! I'm going to focus on two, maybe three storylines at the same time when it comes to blogging. Still, it's funny how setting this up and reading through the guidelines over and over (to look up some details I need) just brings out the story ideas. Love this challenge/playstyle already and I haven't even really played it yet!

I know what you mean. I have so much canon backstory in my head for my sims that I feel like I know them. I have been playing the same neighborhood for 2 and a half years now, when finally it went asplode. I accidentally did a VBT about 18mos. ago when I binned a family--totally unintentionally--I mean to bin the lot and it was still occupied. At any rate, I cleaned it up as best I could at the time and awaited the inevitable. It came: just before Christmas. But I have all of my sims cloned and I have done a major cleaning of the downloads folder and am cheerfully taking it, so all will be well ... eventually.
Lab Assistant
#674 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 3:54 AM
Great Did you start playing yet?

I took some pictures and I;'m about to start writing!! Eeeee!!!!
Field Researcher
#675 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 3:23 PM
I am loving the new additions to health and the diseases. they make things much more interesting. Here's a little census I took of my Warwickshire yesterday.

Page 27 of 44