Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 9:01 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default No "The Sims 3" folder anywhere?
Hiya.
So, basically, I don't have a folder for The Sims 3 anywhere on my computer, which is confusing, since my game works very well as of now.
My game does this weird thing where it sort of "resets" itself after a while, i.e it creates a new folder out of the blue and replaces the current one with it, although the current folder I had before the reset is still on my computer and I can just transfer my saves to the new folder, so usually it's only a slight inconvenience.
Recently, however, it seems like the new folder has completely disappeared into thin air. I had a couple of The Sims 3 folders lying around that weren't actually the new folder (I checked each one). I deleted them in hopes of finding the new one, but no such luck. I had made a save file before deleting the folders, and after I deleted them, it was still there when I started up the game so I was sure that those were the wrong folders.

I have searched "Dccache", "The Sims 3", "Electronic Arts", and the names of my saved games in my computer files and I checked all of the folder's usual hiding places and nothing has showed up, but the saved games I made after the reset still show up in game. I am really, really stumped for what might've happened to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S I don't have any custom content or store content downloaded as it slows down my game considerably.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 10:20 PM
Update: a new Electronic Arts folder was created after I started my game, but it is completely empty.
Instructor
#3 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 10:38 PM
Can you please post some info about your computer specs and operating system? If you have windows 10, is OneDrive enabled?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orose
Can you please post some info about your computer specs and operating system? If you have windows 10, is OneDrive enabled?

Processer: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 2.33GHz
Memory (RAM): 3.00GB
System type: 64-bit operating system

I have Windows Vista at the moment. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted, I'm a computer noob and these are the only computer specs I could find.

Edit: Also, something I found a bit strange was that many empty Electronic Arts folders "spawn" in different places.
For example, one spawned in E:\Users\(name)\Documents and another spawned in E:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents. They're both empty, except the second one has the Screenshots folder in it and nothing else, and I have to go through the computer to access them and can't just find them in the regular Documents that I have on Start.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 9:48 PM
Update: So I "found" the folder. I can't actually access it fully, since I can only find it when I go into skype and try to change my profile picture. I can then find it by just clicking into Documents, and its location is C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents, but I can't find it when I go through that, only through skype. I have tried moving it but it gives me "The system cannot find the file location".

The same happens for the The Sims 2 folder. Is there any way to change the location to which folders get saved into?
Instructor
#6 Old 1st Feb 2017 at 2:02 AM
I'm sorry I missed your reply before, I still haven't quite got the hang of remembering to look for a notification option on threads, lol. I did some looking and I haven't seen too many threads where this seems to have happened, but there is this thread, where another player with TS3 seems to have had a similar problem. Based on what was suggested there, a good idea would be to completely backup the files you were able to find someplace safe, like in a folder on your desktop.

Also from there: have you installed any mods or third-party content (stuff like you would download from the exchange or other sites with custom content created by players)?
Site Helper
#7 Old 1st Feb 2017 at 2:11 PM
It's in a hidden system folder. I don't remember the procedure, but I do know that if you get insistent enough, Vista does have a method to (grudgingly) allow you to look at system folders and move files out of them.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1613...nd_Folders.html This seems to be the way to manage that.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Feb 2017 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orose
I'm sorry I missed your reply before, I still haven't quite got the hang of remembering to look for a notification option on threads, lol. I did some looking and I haven't seen too many threads where this seems to have happened, but there is this thread, where another player with TS3 seems to have had a similar problem. Based on what was suggested there, a good idea would be to completely backup the files you were able to find someplace safe, like in a folder on your desktop.

Also from there: have you installed any mods or third-party content (stuff like you would download from the exchange or other sites with custom content created by players)?

That thread is similar, but the big difference is that I can't actually easily access the folder, or really edit it all that much in terms of dropping items in and taking them out etc, and the only way I can actually see it and "interact" with it is weirdly enough through skype. Also, no, I don't have any cc or store content.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Feb 2017 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
It's in a hidden system folder. I don't remember the procedure, but I do know that if you get insistent enough, Vista does have a method to (grudgingly) allow you to look at system folders and move files out of them.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1613...nd_Folders.html This seems to be the way to manage that.

I had that option enabled before this even happened. I think the problem lies in the folder getting saved in some odd place.
Instructor
#10 Old 2nd Feb 2017 at 4:45 AM
Okay, definitely weird. I completely skipped from WinXP to Win7 because of all the issues with Vista when first released, so I'm not terribly familiar with it or anything that might cause this. Are you running the Origin or Steam version of the game? I wonder if there are any options for where the game saves in either of those programs that might be conflicting with something in Vista.