Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
I'm having someone rebuild my PC for ts2 specifically, is there anything in particular I should look for (specific graphics card or SSD) in order to have maximum output of graphics and be able to handle a ton of cc? I have 30gb of cc...

THIS ^^^ This is exactly what I've been wanting to do. I just don't know where to start - and money is a bit of a problem at the moment *grrrr*

I have an HP Z400 Workstation (circa 2010?) with everything EXCEPT a hard drive just sitting here next to my desk - waiting to be finished out for my simmies new home.
I don't really know what is in the case - or what I need - to make it work... other than I know there is no HD/SSD. (I don't see a CPU in there either - but I might not recognize it!)

I do know what I want - I want a dedicated PC for my sims 2 game (that will play with all EPs/SPs and bucket-loads of CC)
I have the option to use either Vista Home Premium 64-bit, or Windows XP (we have both OS on disc)
I also have several Graphic cards on hand to use - that have all played TS2 nicely in the past... I'll probably want to stay with my current NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT as it has 1gb on-board memory. But, it was built for Vista, so if I go back to XP, maybe a different card would be better?

Anyway... I do NOT need other games, video processing, word processing, data storage, internet capabilities - or anything else on this machine. Though, the ability to take in-game pictures with Fraps would be nice. My Photoshop, SimPE, AGS (that I build in, and share from), and all other necessary programs are on my main work PC. The only stuff I want on this new machine is Sims 2+

I just don't know what to do - every time I start thinking about this project, I go 'round and 'round in circles, and end up quitting *sigh*
Anybody wanna see a picture of my Z400 carcass? Maybe help me figure out what I need? Send me a message - unless @labellavienna thinks that info would be relevant in her thread?

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#27 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I too tend to prefer NVidea cards but the Radeon I bought (R9 390 series) was one of the top-scoring mid-range cards when I bought it. I think it's seventh now on that comparison rating. Not bad for a year+ old card. It makes TS2 look pretty nice - not the best - I've seen better definition but it looks well and when I installed Dishonored 2 in November it defaulted to the highest graphics settings. So I'm fairly happy with that. I'll probably give it another 6 months and then review. Depends on how well it does with Mass Effect Andromeda. What surprised me slightly was looking at the price on Amazon shows it has not gone down in price (it has high ratings on there too) and in fact, I paid less for it than the current recorded price. I know price is an issue in Australia though - you tend to pay a lot more than we do.

As for using new cards with TS2, I found I was able to deal with that very quickly with the graphicrules fix - no problem, just selected the most appropriate file, installed it and Bob's Your Uncle. I know not everyone has a problem-free experience but, as I said on that Win10 and TS2 thread, you tend not to hear from those of us who have a trouble free experience. These are a couple of pictures I took yesterday in Little Carping - looking at that, I realise it needs MOAR TREES. Didn't used to look that sparse so that's a measure of how the graphics have improved with this card (and the lovely recent updates in texture overhauls we've had). The trees definitely used to be fluffier.

Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while...but what is "graphicrules fix "
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#28 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while...but what is "graphicrules fix "

Explains it here:
http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia...patibility-with
But there's also a page where you can download ready made files and I can't seem to see that. I'll keep looking.

It's a case of getting the game to recognise your brand new graphics card. As it was last updated in 2008, the game can't easily recognise and use more modern cards.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 7:17 AM
Does anyone know much about CPU drivers. I took off Dragon Age Inquisition and thought I would put on Dragon Age Origins. I thought older game, hopefully better for my poor old computer. On the can you run it page it says this: http://www.systemrequirementslab.co...e-origins/10917 Doesn't look too crash hot does it? The CPU driver links me here http://www.driveragentplus.com/land...campaign=Compot Is this something I should get or will it ruin sims 2?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#30 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 11:45 AM
These Sims games are often head scratchers. I have an old (2010) computer that handles Sims 2 with UC and a lot of CC (not sure how much) very well on max. It's not even a gaming computer. I wonder with all your CC (I've been asking around for myself because I just got a new PC and want to use it for Sims 3 and a few eps and CC) if you should dump some of the older CC you have. People are remaking CC, retexturing things with lower polys, and maybe that newer stuff would run smoother? I remember since the day Sims 2 came out people have been up in arms--some had to do a lot of "updating" to their PCs just to get the thing to run. At one point when I was using a desktop I bought a new Nvidia videocard and that helped the graphics a lot. I'm sorry I can't add more except good luck and maybe ask in "help" for a tech person to assist you.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 1:19 PM
It's a well known fact that some older games (such as Sims 2, unfortunately) are unable to cope with newer computer components such as multiple PC cores, RAM, or GPU. From what I've gathered, the only thing known to really speed up the game is the SSD, which basically makes the processing of CC faster.
Of course, having a full-blown gaming rig certainly won't hurt. It's just that the results of running TS2 on the state-of-the-art Alienware machine might prove to be a little... underwhelming.
At least the game is willing to work on newer rigs, even if it proves to be a bit finicky. I remember switching to a dual-core PC some 10 years ago - it rendered many vintage games unplayable. The worst case was my all-time favorite, Resident Evil - two cores = double speed ...haven't played the game since
Page 2 of 2