Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 5:53 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default High GPU Load
Last night my game crashed and the log analyzer said it was an insufficient graphics capability issue and to update my drivers, which I did. Everything seemed fine after that but today it crashed again and this time said it couldn't recognize my graphics card. When I checked DeviceConfig it showed "Found: 0 Matched: 0" after my graphics card, so I followed the steps here to add entries to GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards for my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 940MX) and cross-checked them against the ones here to make sure I understood what was being changed.

Two things:
1) I got NVIDIA Inspector and set a FPS limit of 60, per the instructions earlier in that second thread. I'm worried about this because I got this laptop about a month ago and I've played TS3 (albeit in windowed mode) quite a bit since discovering how much better everything looks in-game vs. my old laptop. And I only just now discovered that setting a FPS limit is important when playing TS3 on newer graphics cards. Does anybody have experience with this and know what sort of damage might have been done? I'm still within my 90 days with Costco, so if I need to swap it out I'd rather know now.

2) NVIDIA Inspector says my GPU load is anywhere between 30% and 90% with the game on, shouldn't this have gone lower with the tweaks which were made?

DeviceConfig (after the tweaks mentioned above)
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Well you're running a 940MX in window mode, chances are everything is fine. Not likely it got damaged. I have a 650M, which is 3 generations older, but 1 quality level higher and I've played Sims 3 on it for a quite a while before I found the runaway FPS thing and capped it at 60 through Nvidia inspector.

Here's the thing, the spec for the 650M says the GPU is max capped at 60FPS, I would expect the 940MX to be roughly the same, so technically it really can't have the runaway FPS. I only cappted it "just in case."

Also, if you have vsync on, that helps too but when you play in window mode, it pretty much sets the graphics capability to match your desktop setting, so again, not likely to damage it.

----

Nvidia Inspector is good for a lot of things. But if you want to monitor your GPU, I recommend GPU-Z. You can watch the data on there to see if you have any overheating problems.

The GPU load is ... typically around 50%, but 30%-90% is not unusual... depending on what part of the game is going on. For example, if it is winter and snowing, it will have a higher GPU load. Now of course, I'm on a level 5 card, so a level 4 would work a little harder even if it is 3 generations higher... so I would not worry too much about it.

When I play Starcraft 2 or Heroes of the Storm, the GPU load is consistently in the 90s.

So anyways, get GPU-Z and just monitor your GPU temperature. In window mode, it should run cooler... roughly between 70-80*C. In full mode... it is possible to run up to 90s, say during summer.. but all this also depends on your laptop setup.

" insufficient graphics capability issue" is probably related more to your VRAM issue, which you've fixed.

Thank you! As usual, you're a lifesaver You have no idea how glad I am to hear that it's most likely just fine. This laptop is primarily for work (usually I'm running multiple Adobe programs and got tired of my old laptop spazzing out everytime I asked it to do anything complex) and school so managing to goof it up in the first month would really suck xD

I wasn't able to find the setting for vsync, but I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow and adjust that, too. I don't play fullscreen much anymore, but every now and then the option is nice, and I just got GPU-Z. Again, thanks! I owe you a pint