Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 7:24 AM
Would this computer be good for HEAVILY modded Sims 3?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPowe...0-Home/46186720

I apologize. I don't trust the stores opinion, I'm afraid they're just trying to get me to buy it. I don't have much money, so I absolutely have to be sure this is going to be what I want. So please, help a poor girl out! I honestly don't know a whole lot about computers. I've only owned laptops and the one I'm using was "supposed to run sims" and it will....... with no mods.... And I have to have my mods and cc.
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 10:03 AM
I'm not quite sure if better preforming computers would give you a better gameplay experience when it comes to a heavily modded sims 3 game. But the one you choose, actually works really well with games these days. But this is just my observation from the basic things (Memory, graphics card, and processor).
But i'm not sure if computers like these can or will, actually make a difference when it comes to heavily modded game since there is this memory lock the sims 3 has. (Like, about 4GB (or higher) till the game will throws you an error 12 or even crashes).

I have an heavily modded game though, and I can't say my computer is the best, but so far I'm using Razor cortex on it, it doesn't crash. Or very rarely. (These are just tips by the way, not something you should do since I know some people don't like Razor cortex, but it has been a life saver for crappy computers like mine).
Instructor
#3 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 10:47 AM
that is an early AMD AM3+ Vishera generation processor with Nvidia GT720 gpu, that's good for TS3 but I think it's a bit too expensive for AMD quad core package, it's better if you can get an Intel i3 or i5 4th generation with Nvidia GT740, it's better in longer term and less power consumption with more performance for gaming in general, the i3 or i5 4th generation should be cheaper by now as the latest 6th generation of i3 or i5 is on the market as well..
Inventor
#4 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 5:22 PM
I strongly recommend that you build your own PC. Pre-made PCs are for the most part overpriced for what they offer. Also, the graphics card in that computer is very low end (always look for x50 or higher, where X, replace with generation 5/6/7/9/10). You should also consider getting an SSD. It improves loading times massively, especially if your game is heavely modded (I understand modded as lots of CC + mods). I agree with PapaEmy, a quad-core i5 with a clock speed of 3 Ghz or more would be better than anything AMD can offer. I don't like AMD's CPUs for gaming, to be honest.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 9:30 PM
I have an MSI and I've had the sims 3 for over a year with lots of cc and most of the EPs and I've only crashed once and that's because I tried to mess with the grim reaper :3 (modded it to add him to household and that caused lots of probs)
Instructor
#7 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
AMD vs Intel, always comes down to your budget. Since you've said you don't have much money, AMD would be the way to go.

Let's do the math then

For laptops; AMD is cheaper, but it has less L2 and/or L3 cache memory (means slower), and its operating temperature is higher than Intel.., you might need an additional usb keyboard so your fingers won't feels how hot the keyboard is..

For PCs; AMD is cheaper, some have higher cpu clock speed, but when it comes to multi core Intel is faster, AMD's TDP (wattage) is more higher, the latest 8 cores 8 threads AMD Vishera FX9590 is 220W compares to 8 cores 16 threads i7 5960x is only 140W, therefore it's also higher when it comes to temperature and you'll pay more for the monthly utility bills even though you can get it cheaper at the 1st time you bought it

When it comes for gaming purpose, and as the subject was for PC gaming, in general everyone would try to get the best they can get for their CPU, mobo, rams, gpus, etc.. and when they get it.., most of them is more likely to play their games almost every day, so let's say FX9590 + GTX680 vs i7 5960x + GTX680. that means just the processors and the GTX680s; 220W+140W vs 140W+140W, that means 360W for AMD and 280W for Intel with both using GTX680, the more they use them to play, the more they will pay their utilities bill.. so yes.. it's always comes and also ended up with budget, either you pay it up at front (if you buy Intel).. or in the monthly utility bills (when you buy AMD).., after a while.. maybe a year or two or maybe more.. you'll end up paying for the same amount in total.. but one keep the AMD and the other one keep the Intel
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
For PCs; AMD is cheaper, some have higher cpu clock speed, but when it comes to multi core Intel is faster

Not exactly. Intel has better and faster *single* core performance. Single core per core performance Intel crushes AMD any day, any time.
AMD is better at multicore performance BUT, considering games are not designed multi-threaded or, multi-thread is poorly implemented, they can't make use of AMD technology; and so you end up with a very good AMD PC bottlenecking your game.

@MsApexNightmare
This computer would be reasonable priced if you had bought it 4 years ago. Although it all depends on your budget, keep in mind that at least 8 GB RAM, a good PSU and a good video card are of equal importance as the kind of CPU you'll buy. If you can build your own PC all the better.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 1:40 AM
http://www.electronicexpress.com/ca...LxA4aAlFw8P8HAQ

Alright. I think this one is as much as I can spend on a computer. This one seems like a better choice to me, but I wanted to check with other Simmers to see.
Inventor
#12 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MsApexNightmare
http://www.electronicexpress.com/ca...LxA4aAlFw8P8HAQ

Alright. I think this one is as much as I can spend on a computer. This one seems like a better choice to me, but I wanted to check with other Simmers to see.

Let me give an alternative I just built for you: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/h2TV6X

It's a little bit over your budget but much better in terms of performance in my opinion. I didn't choose any OS because I'm assuming you already have a Windows licence. If you don't, that could increase a little bit the cost, as well as peripherals if you don't have.
Instructor
#13 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
Not exactly. Intel has better and faster *single* core performance. Single core per core performance Intel crushes AMD any day, any time.

hmm.. I'm must be missing something then, last time I checked on some forums about that was some years ago, maybe it was back in the 2010-2012.. but that was what they said as far as I can remember it.. and I didn't follow too much after that..

Anyway I didn't mean to have against AMD personally as I used to be one of their loyal users back then, from the early days of socket 7 K6-II generation (right after Intel jumped to slot 1 for Pentium II) and up to socket AM3+ Phenom X6 1100T for my PC, the last one I got was in my old laptop Lenovo E135 with AMD E2000, but it was just too disappointing, it was too slow no matter what I do.. even with SSD and 8gb rams, it was so slow just even to start Win 7.. so I gave up.. and bought an E330 with Core i3 3rd gen for my laptop replacement.. , and that's when I started to switch back to Intel.. (since I left them back in 1997.., last time I had was the old socket 7 Intel Pentium 233Mhz MMX)

So in early 2013 I sold all my AMD Phenom II PCs, and replaced them with Core 2 Quads 9450 and 9650 (one for me and one for my daughter hehe..), I was lucky enough to found the used ones with good prices, and still keep them until today.., I didn't do bench marking between the two personally as i didn't really care, I was just so impressed with the Core i3 i bought with its temperature.. so I just gave up the AMDs Phenom II because of the extreme heat temperature (and some AMDs motherboards compatibility with newer Nvidia graphic cards at the time), and back then I was also starting to have interest using S3PE for some of TS3 mods.. did a lot of merging and all that kind of stuff, and the C2Q did its jobs in S3PE faster and a lot cooler in thermal terms.., well.. the Phenom II 1100T was 6 cores 6 threads @ 3.3ghz with 8MB L3 cache and with TDP @130W.. vs.. C2Q9650 4 cores 4 threads @3ghz with 12MB L2 cache and with TDP only @95W..

So that's my personal story why I jumped back to Intel.., now the only thing I hate from Win 10, it didn't allowed me to download the Forza Motorsport 6 app game from its store.. unless I have the Core i3 4170 with 8Gb rams and Nvidia GT740 at minimum for my PCs, what's wrong with my C2Q9650 set up with 16GB, hybrid 128gb SSD+500GB 7200RPM HDD, and GTX680 didn't met the minimum spec ?? Microsoft is killing me.. I can play heavy fully loaded TS3, I can play Company of Heroes series, I can play Nitro Nation etc.. but I can't download Forza Motorsport 6 from Win 10??
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 15th Jul 2016 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Let me give an alternative I just built for you: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/h2TV6X

Thumbs up, this is a very good build, If she can afford it. Good choice of motherboard, too.

@PapaEmy
I didn't take it you have something AMD personally. I have been building AMD PCs for at least 12 years now, but the latest one I'm going to ensemble one of these days it's an Intel i-7.
My reply had to do with Intel's "best multicore" performance which was incorrect. Best single core to core performance along with their hyperthreading technology is where Intel power lies.
And, yes, AMD computers have problem with high temperatures, and are annoyingly noisy, if you don't change the stock fan. My Phenom II 4 X 955 was almost -almost- impressive once I replaced it with a Scythe Mugen, and temperatures dropped down to 30C from 58C.
Instructor
#15 Old 15th Jul 2016 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
but the latest one I'm going to ensemble one of these days it's an Intel i-7.

If you're planning to build new rig with i7, I recommend to get the i7 4790k or 4770k or 3770k (or 4960x for the extreme one.. depends on your budget), yes the newest i7 6700k is more equipped with some new instructions but it's better to wait a bit more if you want to get the 6th gen, you'll get better generations and cheaper DDR4 if you wait, but if you want to stick with DDR3 there also DDR3 motherboards for 6th gen of i7.., but personally I'd rather go with the i7 4960x or 4790k if I'd stick with DDR3, the 3rd gen of i7s are still awesome for gaming but the motherboard doesn't support the SATA Express (or 10gb/s M.2 Socket 3) for newer generation of SSDs though they supports the SATA III 6gb/s for their storage controller.., well whatever you choose.. try to get the Costa Rica i7s chip.. some people says they are better for overclocking
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 4:13 AM
I apologize for not replying for 3 months. I haven't had time to get on and have been too sad to really want to get on a Sims site.. I ended up getting this laptop https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Lapto...-Touch/51397791

Which so far has played Sims 3 flawlessly. However it does make CC hair and details blurry/broken. Does anyone know how to fix that?
dodgy builder
#19 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 10:48 AM
When it comes to building your own pc, you need a bit of buildingskills, but it can save you money in the long run. If something needs to be replaced, you can just replace the component, not the hole pc.

You need careful, delicate fingers and being clumsy might not be a good thing. aAn organized mind can also be an advantage.

I'm not educated on the matter, but I know a bit about screwdrivers. I was suggested parts and ajaxsirius on this site mentored me. I found lots of videos on youtube. It wasn't that hard. Now I hope I have saved some money and waste. No more new computer every 2 years.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 12:42 PM
I've been playing TS3 on my four year old laptop with the full collection and with over 1000 package files of CC along with about 500 Mod files without even getting any lag except for a small amount recently because my hard drive needed to be defragmented.
Instructor
#21 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MsApexNightmare
I apologize for not replying for 3 months. I haven't had time to get on and have been too sad to really want to get on a Sims site.. I ended up getting this laptop https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Lapto...-Touch/51397791

Which so far has played Sims 3 flawlessly. However it does make CC hair and details blurry/broken. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Well.. I think that's a good deal you have, i7 6500U with GeForce 940MX, the only weak point is the i7 6500U is permanently soldered to the motherboard therefore if you find somebody online on ebay selling or parting out his/hers i7 6700 (or 6700K) broken laptop, you can't participate to get the processor because you can't replaces yours with that as yours is permanently soldered therefore you can't pull it out and upgrade it, and if something goes wrong with your motherboard, you'll end up replacing it including your processor as well, so make sure you take good care of it, start protecting it with FPS Limiter or Nvidia Inspector to cap TS3 fps when playing..

And here's a tutorial link you may need for Win 10, maybe it can help you fix the blurry/broken details

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Wish you said something earlier. HP laptops are crap. Right about time your manufacturer's warranty runs out, your fan is going to break. Get ready.

Umm.. I'm afraid you might misunderstood about HP laptop's fan Nitromon, because a while ago.. maybe about 1-2 months ago.. I got the same fan problem from my customer using 3rd gen i5 HP laptop coming to the shop where I work for, he said its fan is dead and need replacement, but after I checked several times, it just a bit different from other laptops, it's not necessarily broken (unless it's completely dead), the native of the fan, it start at full speed when the laptop was just turn on, then slow down to lowest rpm when it starts loading Windows, and then speed up again to normal/average speed when Windows is in full running..

And so.. I don't see any reason to replace it, what happened to his laptop I think it was because of the person whom installed Win 7 in the 1st place, somehow the guy made or forced the processor to work in protection mode, therefore it's slow, the workload is minimum all the time never reach even half of full load performance, so it made the fan run at low speed and at some point it's even stop completely, which made the owner assumed the fan was broken because of that, I don't know was that because of incompatible drivers or something else like making Win 7 work like that on purpose, but when I reinstall his Win 7 completely with proper drivers I downloaded from HP, it went back to normal, well I don't know about your fan case.. but it could be the same case.. forcing your system and then therefore the fan to slow down without you knowing.., it's weird for myself, I can't even explain what causing his laptop to work like that or how did the guy do that, but with all new fresh clean installation.. it's all back to normal, and the fan works just fine.., even the owner himself thinks why would he need to replace the fan if it's not broken?
Scholar
#23 Old 9th Nov 2016 at 4:48 AM
Any PC that can run modern games on high on 1080p will be way overqualified for TS3's requirements. Unfortunately, stuck sims dont care about that.

So I suggest to use some of the core NRAAS mods and use programs to check CC from the start. So you wont have to do that after you run into trouble and have a gazillion CC to check.