Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 9:21 PM
Default What do you think makes the best horror movie?
I think the best movies are very suspenseful and don't actually get into the horror until farther in the movie, with a perfect amount of normal scenes to make the scary ones even more frightening. The movie also needs to be FAST when a scary moment appears, not necessarily a jump scene but something with no warning at all, not even with music. There should be a minimal amount of gore, and rely mainly on atmosphere, and build up the story nicely. Also I prefer something paranormal over something about a crazed killer, but the paranormal stuff needs to be believable. Also, the movie should cause you to be so scared you wake up at around 3 in the morning the first few nights after you watch it, just like how the Exorcist did with me and my friends and various people I know.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 10:36 PM
Horror movies in my opinion need to be disgusting and unsuspecting. If it isn't horrifying than it isn't a horror movie.
Instructor
#3 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 10:55 PM
For me, disgusting things aren't as scary as shocks can possibly can cause a heart attack
Field Researcher
#4 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 12:28 AM
Decent characters with a nice plot. Surprises, suspense and, of course, interesting death methods.

Life Stage: Teen Traits: Hopeless Romantic, Computer Whiz, Couch Potato, Shy Partner: Ted
School: High School Career: Writing; Fan Fiction Drafter Miscellaneous: Rich; Scorpio
Scholar
#5 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 1:25 AM
Personally, I think jump/shock scares are kinda cheap. You're more startled than scared really, and I think real fear is a lot more fun that a sudden loud noise. Good horror movies should be painfully suspenseful and exciting. Gore's really good too, but it's not necessarily required. Scary gross-out movies tend to be a lot more fun than scary to me, like Dead Snow. I haven't really been scared by a movie since who knows when, and that kinda sucks, because I'd love to be scared so much that I can't even sleep.

I think the last movie that really got my heart pounding was War of the Worlds. I saw it in theaters when I was a kid, and the deep grinding sound the ships they made when they rose out of the ground or moved really scared me- it was awesome. I was sitting right in front of the speakers and I could feel it in my teeth.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr