Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 8:14 PM
Default underrated classics review: Majora's mask
for those that don't know Majora's mask is the direct sequel to the zelda franchises most popular game (and many consider it possibly the bast game of all time): Ocarina of Time, and as such the standards were set pretty high.
and Majora's mask not just met that standard. in my personal opinion it broke through the standard and was something more than Ocarina Of Time was. but it so often gets looked at by people as being one of the franchise's lesser games. why? because of a bold experiment nintendo made, they implemented a three day time limit that you could loop over again with the song of time. now, the narrow minded fans of the series couldn't adapt to the experiment, and many of them (a large amount of them didn't even play the game) tried to descredit it.
but I believe the three day time period was pulled off in true style. at no-time of any day is there nothing to do. the countless sidequests in the game revolve around the three days and certain times during the day. and with variations on the song of time you can control the time fairly well, there's the inverted song of time that slows time down, the double song of time sends you forward half a day, and the song of time itself sends you back to day one.
now many fans call the game short, with only four dungeons. yet it took almost everyone the same amount of time to beat majora's mask as it did to beat ocarina of time, the same narrow minded fans ignore that it's not as much about the dungeon, but the sidequests you must complete as you try to get to the dungeon. it's almost like a dungeon just getting to a dungeon (in fact there are multiple miniature dungeons in the game complete with bosses). another thing is the dungeons themselves, they're well designed and there's never a dull moment. and the boss of the third dungeon did something that hadn't been done in years, and no boss since then has done it again, the third boss is actually hard, and has killed me many times.
and I haven't gotten to one of the best aspects of the game, the masks, with 24 masks to collect across the land. but five of them specifically stand out. three transform you into a deku, zora, or goron, one makes you a giant, and the other makes you really powerful (last two can only be used in certain situations).
and this game has one of the best plots in the franchise, and has an end of the world theme that gives it a much darker atmosphere than ocarina of time.

Overall: 10/10 there is nothing wrong with this game, it has a superior musical score, superior gameplay, superior plot, and superior graphics to it's predecessor, it pulls off with true style the expiriments it tested, and creates one of the most memorable gaming experiances i've had. if you can get over being narrow minded and embrace how well they pulled off the three day time limit, you'll find a truely compelling game that will give you much enjoyment for years (I still haven't found all the heart pieces)

music: 10/10 the 10/10 score is pretty much a given since it's a zelda game, but the score here is breathtaking, it brings new songs into the franchise that will be remembered forever, most notably the song of healing. and it brings back some of the older themes that ocarina left out, including the main zelda theme itself.

plot: 10/10 the game manages to mix in countless subplots with the main plot, but not once does it feel convoluted, the many pieces of the games plot all flow together seamlessly

graphics: 10/10 the game has style, and improves upon the look of it's predecessor with stunning locations, enemies, bosses, etc.

I no longer make sims, if you wish to contact me through this site it is highly unlikely that you will receive a reply.