Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: What's your opinion on The Sims 3: Ambitions?
I love it like llamas!
3 42.86%
It's okay. I've seen better EPs.
0 0%
I'm disappointed.
0 0%
I hate it. I HATE IT!
0 0%
Objects falling toward earth accelerate at 9.81 m/s(2).
4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Scholar
#26 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 6:32 PM
Is it just me, or is the poll FUBAR'ed? It tells me that I have already voted (which I haven't), and I find it hard to believe that only two people have done so. Everyone loves to add their two cents.

I've played around with the game for a few hours now and have only just scratched the surface. I'm loving the sculpting and I now have a "professional fisher", lol! I didn't care for the stylist career at all and don't much like the firefighter so far, but hanging out at the firehouse is fun. I love Twinbrook, it has great atmosphere.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 6:56 PM
A few notes on Inventing stuff:

They got rid of the Sims 2 helper bots.... things like the vaccuum bots, etc... I was hoping those "lesser" robots would be included. In fact, I was a bit disappointed when I hit the "You've invented everything" point... because it seemed... like there was very few objects.

In addition to the previous things the Drill can do: Sometimes you can discover a cave system underground, that can be explored much in the same manner as the Mausoleum.

Another item you can create is a Harvester, which when used, will automatically harvest collectible items in a 2 or 3-square radius or so around you (handy for speed-harvesting a garden or a Detonated pile of scrap) ... and doesn't hit your Hygiene as badly as Digging through the piles.
Test Subject
#28 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
Is it just me, or is the poll FUBAR'ed? It tells me that I have already voted (which I haven't), and I find it hard to believe that only two people have done so. Everyone loves to add their two cents.

I can't vote at all - does the poll magically knows I haven't got my copy of Ambitions yet? Can't wait for the weekend! I already know I love this EP. Yep.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 7:37 PM
That's what I'd like to know.

To Sim is the GREATEST adventure...
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 7:59 PM
I love the game so far...and I'm so sad I had to come to work today instead of playing all day like I did yesterday lol...oh well...four more hours and I'm back in my cave playing!!

One of the things that I love is that there are hairstyles you can only get from the styling podium (I don't know if that is the name but that's what I'm calling it!) ...and the styles are pretty cute...much better than usual...

Also...it looks like EA stepped up their house decorating game for this expansion...the houses actually look pretty decent for once...

"Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart." - William Butler Yeats
Field Researcher
#31 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 10:34 PM
i love it! dramatic sims can fake pass out!
i had trouble all day yesterday because some things in the game werent working. i uninstalled and reinstalled and found some dormant mods that werent working with the game patch i had and i had forgotten to remove them and once i did everything was fixed! i love it so far. i've only barely touched the new features though since i spent most of yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong. so far i'm loving the stylist and inventor =) and tattoos!
Scholar
#32 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 7:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by acidsugar
Also...it looks like EA stepped up their house decorating game for this expansion...the houses actually look pretty decent for once.

Very much so! One thing that has been a constant, from the very first Sims game, was the hideous houses with mis-matching furniture and wall/carpet combinations that made your eyes bleed. I noticed a small improvement around Seasons, but Ambitions is just fantastic in this regard. I've been in quite a few houses so far (albeit, ablaze at the time) and I haven't seen anything that made me want to gouge my own eyes out. In fact, most of them seem to be designed well and tastefully decorated. The community building all seem very nice too.

Also, it might just be me but it seems that the pathing is much, much improved. I really can't remember a single instance of foot-stomping.
Test Subject
#33 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 8:26 AM
Things I really like...
Loved the laundry system and some of the new objects. I used buydebug cheat to see all the items that could be invented, etc and there weren't as many as I thought there would be, but I liked some of them. I saw one cute little object that I particularly liked - it's a mini replica of the graveyard complete with animated fog. I liked some of the disaster effects with the firefighter profession (makes me think more weather affects aren't far off - though I would personally love to see pets first). I just adore the town of TwinBrook - very atmospheric and beautiful. It looks more realistic then I thought it would and very much like a small version of New Orleans. Love the new bridges. I like the PI and ghost hunter careers ok. I LOVE the world editor in edit town mode - it's very useful being able to place lots almost anywhere (even in areas without roads!)

Now dislikes...
VERY disappointed in the doctor profession. Very little to it. The other professions that I have played so far haven't been very fun, either (although I do like the PI and ghost hunter ones). I was expecting more. The tattooist skill/job whatever isn't much of anything and the tattoos are very corny and most of them aren't something I would want on my sims. Very disappointed there was neither a Frankensim (via inventors) or at least zombies (from doctors experimenting on patients - that would have made sense too and been a fun addition). I only played one simbot and I didn't like it very well. A simbot shouldn't have to sleep like the regular sims, etc etc. There should have been new recipes and new toddler or baby interaction(s). Also, a few of the hairstyles like a lot of the base game hairstyles are HIDEOUS. Absolutely fug.

I hate to say...but it seems like to me, EA is doing less and less each time - including less and less with the EP's and charging more for everything else separately or leaving it out altogether. No more simpoints, very little furnishings and clothes like there used to be more in Sims 2 - instead they are put in the store at insanely expensive prices per item. The list goes on. But I digress. I still have a lot to play with on this EP, but I was rather disappointed. I like it somewhat...just don't love it. Also, I felt WA had MUCH more to it than this one. And Ambitions is still the same price for less that it's added to the game, plus no simpoints. Anyway, would I do it all over and buy it again? Yes, because I've always gotten every Sim EP and most packs. I'm a discriminating fan...but a fan nonetheless.
Instructor
#34 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 9:15 AM Last edited by Oprah : 3rd Jun 2010 at 10:55 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by jaydock
NOBODY gets ankle tattoos across the front of their leg. They go on the side. It's so dumb.

Exactly! What were they thinking? Makes me wonder how much they bothered with any research about tattoos. Probably not too much, based on the result. But at least, the modders have some starting point, I can't wait for the new CC.

Quote: Originally posted by jaydock
The Egyptian makeup is still there. You're blind. No worries.

Oh, thanks, what a relief! I need to search more carefully next time. Though with my hangover, the next message will be probably "Isn't it weird? Now that the makeup is there, it's all installed double."
Alchemist
#35 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 9:32 AM
blah, I have to wait till the weekend.

I can't wait though, I know what my weekend's going to be spent on. Screw my assignments.
Am I the only one super excited for laundries?! I honestly can't wait till my sims do washing.

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Scholar
#36 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 11:17 AM
The EP is amazing but with time it'll destroy your hood.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#37 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
The EP is amazing but with time it'll destroy your hood.

With fire, tattoos and drilling?
Instructor
#38 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 12:39 PM
I just LOVE this EP!!!!!!!!! Lol, seriously, I love the options, especially the inventing. The professions are really cool, neighborhood editing, I'm liking everything :D

This space intentionally left blank...
Field Researcher
#39 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acidsugar
One of the things that I love is that there are hairstyles you can only get from the styling podium (I don't know if that is the name but that's what I'm calling it!) ...and the styles are pretty cute...much better than usual...

Some of my simming buddies said the same thing, but no one is posting pictures of this fact. I was able to see new hair just by doing "Change Appearance" with any mirror. What other hair is there ... ?

But anyway, my opinion of the game so far is positive. I've only played for a couple of hours at present, cuz I had some other things I had to do last night, but I'll have more time to explore the game today when I get home from work.

To Sim is the GREATEST adventure...
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 3rd Jun 2010 at 2:46 PM
So far I do like this expansion, although whether it was worth $40 remains to be seen. I haven't played a lot of it yet.
Things I like............
Tattoos. Finally my sims can have tattoos and tattoo each other. I'm not thrilled with the ankle placement, who gets a tat on the front of their ankle?
Professions. Very nice to have some new career choices. The sculptor is fun, I played with it last night. I haven't really tried the others yet, although inventor and ghost hunter interst me. You can also be self employed, which is a good thing for my stay at homes who have kids. Finally writing is a legitmate occupation!
Nice new hairs for men. About time the sim guys got some new hair.
Empty lots. You can now place empty lots. Very nice feature.
Twinbrook. Nice, big town with plenty of playable families. Lots of nice parks and community lots so more opportunity to meet other sims.
New wood patterns. I use a lot of wood flooring in my houses so I like this.
Things I don't like............
Carpool system is still borked. The carpool will still come, whether you have a car or not.
No new clothes.
Not enough new objects. There is one set which is nice, but I would have liked some more modern items. Most of my houses are modern.
The architecture profession is kind of a let down.

All in all it's a decent expansion. The new professions are very nice and the new buildings look pretty good. Like I said before, it's up to you to spend the $40. I will have to spend some more time with it in order to decide if it is worthwhile.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:11 AM
I was very disappointed with WA but this... this is a real expansion pack. It's incredible, just wish there were more professions.
Scholar
#42 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
With fire, tattoos and drilling?

What I meant is that the game don't regenerate the furniture that the fire consumes. With time, there won't be furniture in the houses...
Field Researcher
#43 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 4:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
Also, it might just be me but it seems that the pathing is much, much improved. I really can't remember a single instance of foot-stomping.

yeah! my sim was in a really small room with another sim and did this insanely tight u-turn around the other sim and went and sat down in a desk chair that was less than a grid square from the stationary sim. i was like WHAT?! that's NEVER happened before!
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 9:09 AM
My first short thoughts are as followed.

1. I love Sculpting. Period! Everything about it is nice, since its my first play through with the new Expansion Pack, I went a head and kept my sim up for a whole week using cheats to check out different features, and it takes about a full week of sculpting to get Sculpting level 10, but that only got me to about level 5 in the career.

2. The architect career is great for those who love creating and editing houses, if you play with Buy/Build mode all day, or made your own town from scratch this profession is definitely for you. One thing, mine was bugged a little bit and it took like 3 different tries of starting the "construction" over to get the money to come out of the set budget a couple times.

That's about all I have so far... oh and doing laundry just comes natural.
Test Subject
#45 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:46 PM
Can I just ask ~ have they sorted out the whole .package files causing lag problem with Ambitions???
Forum Resident
#46 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:48 PM
imm loving it!!!! now i have worked out how to use mods and CC im happy as anything!!!!!!! the toddler hair is so friggen cute and i love how they can take uppaid leave and stuff and do the washing!!!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#47 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:50 PM
GutterQueen - That was sorted out ages ago. Look in the Help section (under Custom Content) for info.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 2:10 PM
I'm loving it like llamas.

I particularly like the new hair for dudes. It is a nice mix of stylish-dos and plain-jane cuts. The new town is really gorgeous with a nice expansive layout and some very nice, but very down-to-earth, houses in it (love the townies too). The new educator rabbit-hole career fills in a noticeable career gap from the base game. And, of course, inventing, sculpting, and the professions are all win.

I also really like the tattoo system. I agree that the tattoos currently available are a bit cartoonish and can understand why they put some people off. But, as my sensibilities have always favored somewhat cartoonish sims anyway, this isn't really an issue for me (super-realistic sims are just a bit too creepy for my tastes).

It would have been nice to see some new clothing. But, really, with CAST, it's not as if I ever feel my sims are lacking in options.

So I'm like, "Cool! What should I get? Brain in a jar... monkey's paw... ooh, pie!"
Instructor
#49 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 2:13 PM
So far I have only played one career (ghostbusting), but even so I have to say that I love this EP. They did this one right. I love the town, I love that there are a lot of different careers and professions to choose from (something for everyone). I love that the people that like to make up townies and decorate the houses in the town now have a way to do so as their sim's profession and get paid for it. I LOVE the town of Twinbrook! The town and the townies are so unique and realistic. I love that they added little extras like the laundry and that it is optional so everyone is happy.

I thought WA was well done too, but I still think that dungeon diving and the sims is a strange mix and so it is hard for me to really get into it. Following our sims to work though was something that a lot of simmers have always wanted and fits so perfectly with the game. I hope that for future expansions, EA sticks with things that really enhance our sims homes, lives and towns because that is what the sims is all about. And so far they are doing great with putting together each EP, so if they stick with sims stuff, we will have an epic game at the end. ^^
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 2:41 PM
I've only played the game for about 3 hours, but so far I'm liking it much more than WA. I've literally only sent my sims abroad about.. 3 or 4 times since I got WA. It was never particularly fun for me. But this expansion I'm loving I've only played with the firefighter career and inventing so far, but I love it! I started with some guy called Juan Darer who was an old inventor. Due to me not knowing anything about the "detonate" option, I had him blow up some stuff in his house and he died on the third day I played him. His house is pretty much destroyed.

After this I created a new sim and made her a firefighter. I love the firestation, and I love the urgency of trying to get to houses quickly to put out the fires! My sim got an A grade on her first fire.. which seemed a little too easy, but it was only a "small house fire" so maybe something harder will come along soon?

I also LOVE Twinbrook! Its so much nicer than Sunset Valley. I love Riverview, but the whole rich/poor areas of town are something I always loved to create in ts2, so now we have this in ts3 . The community lots seem to be designed better too, with more thought put into them, for example the gym.

I've got tons more to explore with this game, I haven't even looked at tattoos (though I have seen some townies with them and they look awesome!). I haven't tried ghost hunting, stylist, architect, investigator or sculpting yet! So I'm sure once I've looked at those this game will be even more fun

Sadly though, I have to quit my game and go to work now if only real life jobs were as fun as sims ones...

Call me Kay please :)
Locked thread | Locked by: leefish Reason: old thread.
Page 2 of 4