Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2015 at 9:43 AM Last edited by SimsGamesAreAwesome : 7th Jan 2015 at 6:00 AM.
Default Package files will not load at all [SOLVED]
Hello MTS community! First and foremost, I'm extremely new to this forum. If I've posted this in the wrong place, please forgive me and, if possible, point me in the right direction.

Second, I've modded TS3 before so please speak freely. My technical knowledge is limited to hardware but I know my way around Windows.

Anyways, I own SIm 3 with ALL Expansion and Stuff packs on disk that I've bought and/or gifted to me. I've installed everything including patch 1.67.2.0240; all ran fine and dandy. But when I tried to install .package files, nothing works. At all. For the record, I've installed all EP and SP before and package file mods worked fine. Currently, the game doesn't even recognize they exist. Besides one item mod, all my .package mods are Nraas's script mods (Master control, story progressions, ect). I've tried the FrameworkSetup.zip from the simswiki.info, no dice. Into still plays, and no package file works.

One thing to note, I did NOT use the default installation path. Instead, I've installed everything to a custom folder. I've done this before and the game, EP, SP, and package mods worked fine.

I have a few guesses as what's wrong, but I can't explain them.

1. The resource.cfg file is not working. I've used the one from the FrameworkSetup.zip and it doesn't change anything. BUT, I've notice the game will not create a resource.cfg file. I believe this is the source of my troubles but I don't know how to fix it.

2. Installation was corrupted. This doesn't make any sense as the game runs just fine and all EPs and SPs are working fine.

3. Game doesn't need disk to play. NO I AM NOT using cracks, repacks, or mods that disable the Sims 3 DRM.. But for some reason, the current installation doesn't need the disk. My entire installation was from store-bought disks.

At this point, my only other option is to completely uninstall and reinstall the game. But it took me over an hour to install and I rather not repeat it.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 5th Jan 2015 at 12:28 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Verify Package Installation
    To help you further, please carefully read and follow the following:

First, double-check your setup: These instructions will take you through the things you should check yourself: Package Files Not Working. You may be able to fix the problem yourself using those instructions.

Still not working? Then we will need ALL of the following information.
    1. What is the version of your base game?
      Windows OS: Game Help:TS3 Patching Find Gameversionwiki
      Mac OSX: Find Gameversion#info.plist
      CAW: How to find your Create-A-World version

Copy and paste the indicated line from the skuversion.txt or info.plist, from the respective locations shown in the Find Gameversion Wiki, which would show you how to navigate to the following path: \Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
      Quote:
      BG: GameVersion =
    2. Take THREE screenshots... one each of the following locations, with the Explorer/Finder window showing the Details View:
      • Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\
      • Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\
      • Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages

... and attach them to a post on this thread. Click Go Advanced and then Manage Attachments. Or if it says the pictures are too big, you can upload them to modyourpanties.com and copy and paste the links.
      We have a guide on how to take screenshots if you need assistance: Game_Help:Screenshotswiki.

Make sure you set your folder view to Details mode, that you have file types showing (.package, .cfg, etc. on the ends of the filenames) and expand out the Name and Type columns so they're fully readable!

3. Open your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\resource.cfg file in Notepad/TextEdit and copy-paste its contents here.

4. Right-click on Resource.cfg and check Properties. Is the file name Resource.cfg or Resource.cfg.txt or something else?

You forgot something. ;) Once we've got this info we'll be able to see what the problem is. Don't worry about the game not creating a Resource.cfg, it's not supposed to.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2015 at 5:24 AM Last edited by SimsGamesAreAwesome : 6th Jan 2015 at 10:50 PM.
Default As requested by Admin Nysha
Thank you for you input Nitromon. Don't worry, I know package file mods are drag and drop :D. I initially thought my Resource.cfg was corrupt. But mine's bigger with a section titled "Priority 1000" and lines for the Overrides folder.

My apologies Admin: Nysha. I was hoping my problem was a simple mistake on my part so I neglected to post the required information initially.

1. BG: GameVersion = 1.67.2.024002

2. Files attached, there are two for my Packages folder (I like Nraas so sue me).

3. Resource.cfg file was from the simswiki.info page's FrameworkSetup.zip

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 1000
PackedFile Overrides/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Test/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

4. Resource.cfg is recognized as a Configuration (CFG) file by Windows 7.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS3 Screenshots.zip (633.1 KB, 40 downloads) - View custom content
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Jan 2015 at 11:47 AM
The pics don't seem to be attached, alas.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Jan 2015 at 8:36 PM Last edited by SimsGamesAreAwesome : 6th Jan 2015 at 10:48 PM.
Oh dear. Sorry about that. Should be attached this time. I've attached a copy to this post just in case.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS3 Screenshots.zip (633.1 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Four images
Field Researcher
#7 Old 7th Jan 2015 at 5:04 AM Last edited by pepoluan : 7th Jan 2015 at 5:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SimsGamesAreAwesome
Oh dear. Sorry about that. Should be attached this time. I've attached a copy to this post just in case.

The Mods folder must be directly within "The Sims 3" folder.

In your screenshots, your "Mods" folder is within "The Sims 3\Downloads".

The game is hard-coded to search for Resource.cfg in the "The Sims 3\Mods" folder, not in "The Sims 3\Downloads\Mods".

So, move the "Mods" folder one level up, and try again.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Jan 2015 at 5:32 AM
You have no idea how overwhelmingly foolish I feel right now. :/

Thank you pepoluan, and nitromon I owe you both a thank you and apology.