Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 5:56 PM
Default My mod was stolen
I haven't really kept up with the sims 3 community on here because my health has gone downhill and need a wheelchair to walk now. As if I wasn't having enough RL issues, someone hacked my very rarely used twitter account and upon a search of my user name, I came across someone whom has stolen my mod from here that uses my personal artwork to add to the sims 3 game. I know this was rampant about a year ago, but didn't realize it was still happening. All my artwork is copyrighted and it says to not use any part of my mod unless given explicit permission. I am furious and feel violated. This is mine here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=560538 and the one the other person posted without my permission: http://sims3pack.ru/mody-dlya-sims-...veiledstar.html. I don't even know where to begin with getting it removed. I just emailed them to ask them to remove it, but it's all over several of their accounts over several different platforms.

You know, this is why we can't have nice things, folks.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 6:05 PM
From what I've observed in the Sims community, Russian and Chinese sites often reupload others' creations without their permission.
No clue how effective a report/request for removal would be, but I'd wager there's little chance of having them taken down.

Besides, I wouldn't classify it as 100% stolen as they clearly state "made by veiledstar" there. The uploader doesn't claim to have made the mod or the artwork. Not much of a consoling thought, but at least you're given some credit.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 6:45 PM
I do see that they have given me credit for it, sweetdevil, which is a bonus in re-uploading someone else's work, but they still never even asked. Their host server, if they rent, is probably going to be easiest to go after since they will hopefully cave and tell them to take it down or stop hosting them. I have a friend who can help me with some translating since she has her masters in Russian. I will just have to find all the places they have posted pictures of my work, though since I'm still finding it all.

When I had posted the mod, nitromon, I was using a monitoring service for my images. These only use VERY small images, so the largest images you can see are of screenshots I have taken in game. Even then, they are not the best quality. I just got an email telling me I ought to re-new the service because someone had posted my images online. Gee thanks!
dodgy builder
#5 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 8:34 PM
I had my lots stolen once. I did approach the hosting service together with others here. I can't say it was finally removed though, because I decided to leave it.

You have to consider it teaching chinese and russians about copyright infringement is really something you would like to use time on. You can send some emails, but be prepared if you don't get the reaction you want.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 9:36 PM
I don't mind trying to teach someone about it. They probably know that what they are doing isn't right considering that they are making money from re-packaging the original mod and then uploading it in order to make money from the ads where people download it. I don't know what is actually in the download that people may get from them and it has MY name attached to it! It isn't just my artwork. I created something for people to add to their sims 3 game in a safe environment for people to download from here at mod the sims. I did not intend to allow anyone to ever upload it to another site where it could have a virus or malware in it, nor make any money from it. I made it for myself and then thought other people might enjoy having it.

I understand that I may not get the reaction I want, but I can at least let them at least let them know they cannot just take what they want to make money from people. They did not ask me. It isn't their's to take.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 4:23 PM
Well, this is a lot bigger than I thought. I am digging today on their site and it looks like it has pulled CC and mods from every english speaking CC and mod site (including things people host themselves) for sims 3 and 4 and then re-hosted them there.
Alchemist
#8 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 5:17 PM
Hmm, I believe cases like this were quite often in the past. I seemed to recall a site that reuploaded tons of contents (mods and CCs) from various English-speaking The Sims sites, without anyone's permission nor credit whatsoever. The site owner even refused to acknowledge their act that what they did was equivalent to stealing. It was quite a hot topic here.

Just call me Nikel
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 4:25 AM
Thank you nikel23!