Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:46 PM
Default Impossible Lifetime Wants
There are a few LTW that I consider impossible.
Of course they are theoretically possible, but they do not suit my gameplay style, they require something I'm not willing to do or simply I don't have the patience to guide my Sims to achieve them. So in my universe they become impossible.

Is there impossible LTW for your Sims? Which one? Why is it impossible?

I personally tend to ignore them.
Yep. So you rolled a LTW which is impossible. Bad luck.
Hey, not everybody makes their dreams come true! And they have the right to dream anyway

How do you deal with an impossible LTW? Do you re-roll it? Do you ignore it? Do you try it despite knowing it's not gonna happen?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:52 PM
I don't interpret LTWs as dreams. I interpret it as something to do with this Sim. I rarely go with the one the game rolled, because it never fits the personality of the Sim. So I'll change it to an LTW more suited for that Sim, based on hobbies, interests and aspiration.

It's not uncommon for Sims to do more than one LTW in their life time, since my Sims live longer than they are intended to and thus end up with a lot of friends and skills.

That said, there are some LTWs that I have never attempted and probably never will. Marry off 6 children holds no appeal to me, nor does raising 20 puppies/kittens. I'm also unlikely to play through 20 simultaneous lovers, and 50 dream dates. They aren't impossible, I just find them boring. I might do the puppy/kitty one with some animal-crazed Sim, but I'd have to figure out what to do with them first.
Instructor
#3 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:55 PM
5 top businesses is an impossible LTW for me - I am not very good at playing businesses, so keeping a sims' head above the water with just <i>one</i> business is difficult enough, let alone getting 5 up to the top!

Whoohoo with 20 different people is difficult, but not always impossible...but having 20 simulteneous (sp?) lovers....yeah, I'm not that good. Although I did read a tip about that not that long ago, saying make 20 best friends, up their relationship to >70 both daily and lifetime and then (in a short amount of time) do a romantic interaction with all of them. Presto 20 lovers with little chance of losing relationship points for cheating.

In some of my neighborhoods, some LTWs are impossible due to playstyle - think medieval neighborhood with no Maxis jobs and a want to get to the top of a career. In another hood I roll to see if the sim will have a <i>chance</i> to fulfill his/her LTW. If the answer is yes, it's still not guaranteed. For instance, a sim might want 6 grandkids, but I let ACR together with a formula for ideal family size (which you can then input into ACR) decide how many kids a sim will have - and thus also how many grandkids. So, there's a chance, but it's not all guaranteed.

I don't re-roll impossible LTWs, like you said, not everybody's dreams come true.
Inventor
#4 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amura
How do you deal with an impossible LTW? Do you re-roll it? Do you ignore it? Do you try it despite knowing it's not gonna happen?

Since LTWs seem to be handed out randomly, I have no compunction in changing them to suit my story. At the moment I am playing Lord of the Rings, so many of my males (and in Tolkien they are mostly males) want to be generals. I have never played, and suspect I will never play, the LTW to own five top businesses. 'Twenty pet best friends' sounds impossibly dreary to me. I sometimes let my elders work towards Max Out Seven Skills, because at least there is an outside chance of success.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 5:10 PM
There are many of the career LTWs that are impossible for my sims simply because I only allow certain careers in the hood I am playing. If they roll one of the impossible ones, it depends on the sim if I reroll, leave it alone unfulfilled, or use it as a sign to further my neighborhood's economy to allow the job. As for the 20 lovers and Woohoo 20 sims, there are not enough sims in my hood to do this with unless everybody woohooed everybody and that just isn't going to happen. They can dream, but that is all it will ever be. Pets are rare in my hood so the Raise 20 dogs/cats is a no-go and will be ignored as well. College is also non-existent.

I think the only one that most people find 'impossible' that I do on a regular basis would be the child/grandchild wants. Birth control doesn't yet exist in my game, so some sims have up to twelve children and twenty-some grandchildren and are still going. I love big and extended families so if somebody throws out a LTW to marry off six kids, and a regular want to have ten children and twenty grandchildren, as long as ACR agrees with me, it will happen.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Roseblossom90
There are many of the career LTWs that are impossible for my sims simply because I only allow certain careers in the hood I am playing. If they roll one of the impossible ones, it depends on the sim if I reroll, leave it alone unfulfilled, or use it as a sign to further my neighborhood's economy to allow the job.

Personally I just use this mod http://modthesims.info/d/287360 to prevent that from being an issue, not so much because I like going for LTWs, but because it annoys me seeing maxis jobs when I don't allow any.

I've always thought it was pretty annoying that the range of difficulty for LTWs is so broad- reaching the golden anniversary is a ridiculously easy way to get a guaranteed platinum grave, while the 20 lovers or 20 best friend wants require a large amount of effort.

I really like the lifetime aspiration feature that freetime added to the game- that's how I go after platinum graves, by working to keep my sims happy throughout their lives rather than shooting for one (often arbitrary) goal.
Scholar
#7 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 6:11 PM
Ah,, LTWs; one of the things I like about TS3 as opposed to TS2 is that you can actually choose what you want to devote your life, not just have the game randomly pick it. When I have an LTW I hate, I just change it with the Aspiration Adjustor
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 6:32 PM
I usually leave the mentioned LTW the game picked and/or leave it sometimes. For my romance sims, woohooing with 20 different lovers is a doozy but when you have many romance sims in one town, and they want multiple lovers/woohoo(s/es) I like to think the whole feeling is mutal . However, sims who have the "Own 5 Top Level Businesses" or "Have 20 Pets reach the Top of their career" LTW's I tend to ignore them. The could be possible, but I just don't have the time or patience for that.

Although, if a sim with an aspiration having a LTW not in their pool, without a secondary aspiration (i.e. a romance sim with the LTW of being an Education Minister), I re-roll. Especially with child/toddler sims who are playable though I leave the Townie/Downtownie children who have a LTW, as those instances are not cause for corruption.

Posting all generations of The Sims, from the first through the foruth.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 6:36 PM
I attempt all LTWs, no matter how annoying they are. I like the randomness, as I know if it were up to me, I'd never stray out of my comfort zone, and I enjoy the challenge.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 8:17 PM
I don't find any of them impossible. I find a few of them annoying.

Those would be the 'own top 5 businesses' and the 'eat 200 grilled cheese', which is why I rarely let a sim have the GC aspiration in my game.

I don't mind businesses; what I mind is having to send my sim off to a community lot for the whole day only to have him return home and have to play the day all over again. I've only ever completed this once and I even cheated and let the 4th business fall down to Level-9 and brought it back up to Level-10 (the game counts it as two L-10 businesses) because I was bored. I haven't tried the community lot time project mod that I think was on this site (don't remember) but I think the next time I have that LTW I'll just make the sim stay at his business until it's level 10 (using the enigmatic energizer or whatever it's called). Should be fun.

I don't have Pets but I've heard the Pets LTWs are pains in the ass. They sound like it.

I have no problem with any of the rest except 50 dream dates. That's time consuming but once my sim finds a true love or gets married, then they can just go on a date with their spouse every day on their home lot. It doesn't take long for two sims already in love to roll a want for a makeout session and once they both fulfill that then it's easy to get a dream date.

I try to have fun with all of them and attempt them all in different, crazy ways. Some of the things I do/have done:
-50 first dates. Call the matchmaker, give her $5, start date, say goodbye to date. Repeat until matchmaker leaves. (When they roll a want for some milestone number of dates like 10, 20, etc., then I'll let them pay full price and have a good date because fulfilling those milestone wants bumps up the date score a lot.)
-Marry off 6 kids. I like to do this one with plantsims. My plantsim will spawn however many kids they need to bring the total to six. When they age to adult they wish for romance via the wishing well and voila, instant spousal material!
-Earn 100k. Robot building is best for this. Or you can do the super easy way out and just buy and sell real estate.
-I had Arthur Weasley invite over three of his pregnant daughters-in-law for a cheesecake party once. He fulfilled his '6 grandkids' want pretty quickly after that, heh heh.
-My sims are extremely social so getting 20 best friends or 20 loves is easy and made even easier if they have a wishing well. Or it can be done when a sim goes to college. This is why I love playing romance or popularity sims at university. Makes uni soooo much more fun. Earning 20 woohoos is also easier if you just stick a hammock or a closet on the lot. The cheaty way is also to have them double their woohoos by woohooing each sim once on a home lot and once on a community lot as the game counts them as separate woohoos.
-20 loves. I use the wishing well, but wish for friends. Then my sim has to romance each of the three new friends before they skedaddle off the lot.

Quote: Originally posted by Lord St.Croix
Ah,, LTWs; one of the things I like about TS3 as opposed to TS2 is that you can actually choose what you want to devote your life, not just have the game randomly pick it. When I have an LTW I hate, I just change it with the Aspiration Adjustor

i wasn't so keen on picking LTWs for my sims in TS3 at first but I don't mind it so much now. I do love that there are so many more options for LTWs in that game. One of the few (very few) things that TS3 improved on.
Instructor
#11 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 8:43 PM
I never bother with the woohoo, lovers or the pet friends and pet breeding ones.
The woohoo and love ones partly because I find it a bit disgusting but mostly because there simply isnt enough unrelated sims in my town to be able to fulfill them..
Pet friends is also a "not enough pets" to be able to fulfill, and as for the breeding of a gazilion pets? No thank you. Someone will have to buy them and I dont fancy every household having pets.

Five top level businesses turned out to be easy! I didnt expect to succeed, but my game counted every time a business reached 10. As I play rotation style, some sims die and the businesses loose stars. Then I play the business owners household and the business goes from 9 to 10. Boing! Another top level business. So although I had made that sim buy 3 businesses, she made her lifetime want with just number one. The chess club.

50 dream dates is now in progress for the first time in my simming life, it is dead boring. So far I am at 7 or so, so a long long way before its done.
Instructor
#12 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 8:47 PM
I was playing the Asylum Challenge and my controllable sim had the LTW of 20 simultaneous pet best friends. I thought, "yeah I see why they put you in here". I tried it for a few days, but gave up and re-rolled.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 8:54 PM
Anything is boring if you focus on it to the exclusion of all else.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 8:59 PM
I set my Sims' LTWs to match the story I want for them, so they're virtually never random in my neighborhoods. I've never had any trouble with the top career positions or the max skills or $100,000 LTWs (my Sims tend to be career-driven, money-grubbing workaholics, with no time for socializing beyond the bare minimum required to get promoted and stave off a visit from the psychiatrist), but I'm not sure I've ever managed any of the others... I'm trying to manage the 50 first dates and 20 simultaneous lovers with my two vampire sims, but if they weren't immortal, I don't see how that would be doable in the game's timeframe.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#15 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 9:13 PM Last edited by Simonut : 12th Mar 2014 at 9:29 PM.
The Lifetime wants of the Romance Sims is truly out of "Orbit" their wants for 50 or more lovers. Think about it within the neighborhood where they live how many Sims can they have there ? Some Sims are married and truly faithful.
And just how many Townies can the Romance Sims have ? Even with your downtown or other Sub- hood added to the neighborhood. ( to reach 50 or more ) I just think Maxis / EA was just pushing the players button for fun when it came to the Romance Sims "outrageous" wants. In my game after his or her first encounter than it want 3, 5, 10, 20 more Sims victim and the count go on and on, I just then put the romance Sims on my list of IGGY.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 9:30 PM
50 Dream Dates is actually fairly easy. Nobody said it had to be fifty different sims! If your sim finds a partner they like, they can date them several times a day to fill that one. Woohoo 20 Sims isn't so bad either, especially if they start in college. There's three lifestages of sims to choose from then. Seduce your dormmates! Seduce your teachers! Seduce the mascots and cheerleaders! You'll be halfway through by the time you graduate. 50 First Dates again isn't too bad if you start as a teen, buy cheap dates from the matchmaker and end them quickly. Nobody said they had to be good dates, after all. I find 20 Simultaneous Lovers to be the trickiest, simply because you've got to maintain all those relationships without getting caught. But it's doable. Dates on the home lot, and if you have Seasons, join the garden club, get a wishing well and wish for love.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#17 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 10:04 PM Last edited by Simonut : 12th Mar 2014 at 10:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
50 Dream Dates is actually fairly easy. Nobody said it had to be fifty different sims! If your sim finds a partner they like, they can date them several times a day to fill that one. Woohoo 20 Sims isn't so bad either, especially if they start in college. There's three lifestages of sims to choose from then. Seduce your dormmates! Seduce your teachers! Seduce the mascots and cheerleaders! You'll be halfway through by the time you graduate. 50 First Dates again isn't too bad if you start as a teen, buy cheap dates from the matchmaker and end them quickly. Nobody said they had to be good dates, after all. I find 20 Simultaneous Lovers to be the trickiest, simply because you've got to maintain all those relationships without getting caught. But it's doable. Dates on the home lot, and if you have Seasons, join the garden club, get a wishing well and wish for love.

@> sushigal > If I understand you correctly you are referring to "Dream Dates that is the "Pleasure Sims" LTW of a 100 dates. I was talking about the "Romance Sims LTW their wants is all about romantic conquest
and experiencing love and making "WooHoo" with as many Sims as they can before they die. Their limit I have seen go up to 50 and beyond that orbit ,their desires are plain over the top and foolish.

If The "Pleasure Sims" Dream Dates start out as you have said from Teen and young adult, Adults and Elders ( lol ) then maybe it is possible. I have met people in real life who are in their early 20's and have already had more than a 100 dates.
Now I have not met any real life person ( that fix the Romance type ) that have had sexual encounter more than 50 or more . I am sure they are out there somewhere in the world, but there is a name tag sometime that goes with it.

Note: Also for the Romance Sims wanting so many dates it was not added to the original Basic game, only their desire for so many Woohoo was there, their wants for dates was after NightLife Ep was added.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#18 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 10:14 PM
But the standard romance numbers game isn't a Lifetime Want. That's just having a series of milestones that trigger when the previous milestone is met. If the want is set up so that after awhile it increments in groups of ten, then it would have no necessary upper limit. The Lifetime Wants are Woohoo 20 Different Sims/Have 20 Simultaneous Lovers/Have 50 First Dates/Have 50 Dream Dates.

Some people hack those numbers to suit their playstyles better, but those are the vanilla game wants. I find them interesting to fill, myself, as they're easy to leverage into Drama. Whether Georgette Skirt will ever make her 20 unique woohoos, I don't know, but she's living a very full life while pursuing it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#19 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amura

I think each sim´s ultimate goal is reaching perma-plat and with the later EPs the LTW is only means to that end. If I find that a sim´s LTW is impossible to achieve for me, then I focus on getting a genie-wish for that sim. Also for ingame-born sims reaching perma-plat via accumulating enough lifetime aspiration is not too hard.

In my gameplay a sim´s LTW always adds to their personality, whether I attempt to fulfill it or not. The more extreme ones get toned down, but the influence will be visible. I had some rare cases where aspirering Criminal Masterminds got forced to reroll after an extended prison stay, but normally I refrain from doing so. My own LTW is probably unachieveable, but I would not want anybody come and re-roll it for me.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 12:18 AM
I usually give my sim their LTW depending on who they are. Sometimes that will be the LTW in their LTW panel, be that game or Bat Box rolled. Other times it's one I assigned. I do this because I am bored of Maxis LTW's and have pretty much done them all, some a number of times over. I think the only ones I have not done is breed 20 kitties/puppies or have 20 pet friends. I wouldn't mind the breeding one but I can never seem to get that oneto show up for the right sim.

For those who think the business one is hard-it isn't. You only need one shop that reaches rank 10, then you let it drop back to rank 9, bring it back to rank 10 and do that 5 times over. Walla. You don't need 5 businesses.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#21 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 12:25 AM
I find the have X number of children wants annoying, not because I couldn't fulfill them, but because I don't usually want my sims to have more than 2 or 3 children. One of my family sims got ambitious after I let him have a second baby and rolled a non lifetime want for 10 children. Nup, no way, not happening lol.

Someday I will succeed in the woohoo with 20 different sims want. My current record is 5. Maybe I need a neighbourhood with more townies. I don't like the simultaneous loves one. If you have that many then it isn't love.

Someday I'll do the 20 puppies/kittens want too, but in my current neighbourhood it would just be unnecessary extra sims.

I always set the lifetime want to something that I feel fits the sim (if it isn't already). But it is such a PITA cycling through every want until I find the right one sometimes. DX
Mad Poster
#22 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 3:25 AM
What makes me laugh is the term " Lifetime want"
Hey..if woohoo-ing with 20 different sims IS what you want to achieve in your life..ouch. lol You are not worth my game simmie. No really..and it is PG 13 let me giggle.
But other than this one, which does not attract me at all because I find it gross and stupid, I don't think there was ever one that I found would be impossible. Like many have said, some are just not interesting really.
I'd love to try the 10 children one..thought it is not a lifetime wish hehe. I am currently playing a sim, whose lifetime wish is to have 5 top level businesses. I am in a new Hood, and so far he's got 2 businesses, one level 7 I think, and the one is brand new..probably level 2, or 3. Of course i cheat alot, since the plan was to create shops, clubs, restaurant etc..for my other playables to go to, and find everything they need. All I want, is to have a business that works greatly for them..but while at it, since I needed shops, I decided to play along with his big wish.

Raise 20 pups or kittens..I don't know. This sounds like time consuming to me. Possible but, probably boring after a while.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#23 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 9:10 AM
For me, LTWs are something to aim for, but not necessarily achieve. I have at least a dozen sims with the "Education Minister" want running around my hood, but I doubt any off them will ever get there (I use the Job Stoppinator to stop them getting promoted all the time). For me, LTWs are about the journey, not the destination. They give the sims (and me) something to aim for - a sim with an "Education Minister" LTW is very unlikely to actually become Education Minister, but they probably will end up a teacher. I rarely aim to fulfil a LTW, just pursue them. No, I'm not going to sit there and count every date Carly Oates had with her husband to make sure she gets her 50 Dream Dates, but she probably will date him every opportunity she gets.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Instructor
#24 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 10:32 AM
My main hoods are my test of time challenge and my BACC. In each of them I play ltws a little differently.
In my BACC I tend to treat it as something my sims want to achieve with their life. If a sims has a career related ltw I generally see it as that sim is working towards making that career available. A sim who wants to become a slacker will open a club. It's been helping me keep my playstyle broad and focus on certain goals. For example I wasn't too worried about getting a university too soon but then my first born gen 2 sim rolled the ltw to graduate 3 children from college. Since he was a family/knowledge sim and was quite upset when he didn't go to college I read the ltw as wanting a better education for his children. Because of his ltw he donated large amounts of money to the university fun and his eldest children will be sent off to uni next round. I'm actually having a sim try the raise 20 puppies or kittens one at the moment but she probably won't meet it. I just saw her ltw as her wanted to establish a breed of cat. Personally i don't like the 50 first dates one as it feels cheaty to have a sim pay for a ton of $5 dates. I've never achieved the 20 lovers one but when it comes up I won't try for it. I've never rerolled a ltw so far even when a little girl who's oth was tinkering and planning to open a garage decided to become a ballerina. I just came up with a way to justify it and had her open a dance studio.

In my tot most ltws are actually impossible but they still help me decide who my sims are.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Theorist
#25 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 11:10 AM
Dream dates are easy for couples. Both can fulfill wants for each other, instead of the usual one-sided dates where one sim isn't controlled. Once the dream date level is achieved, use end date option. Then have the other sim ask for a date. You could possibly get at least 2 dates in one night. With a hot tub, stereo, bed and flirting in between a date goes quickly. Knowledge sims can max skills while still teens, if not, then as YA at college. While the earn $100,000 isn't difficult if they buy a money tree or 2 soon as they age to teen, along with selling paintings.

Pet LTWs, I can't be bothered with since I rarely have sims with pets. Just the occasional crazy cat person with a houseful of them and maybe an occasional dog mixed in. Need a bit of insanity thrown into a hood just for fun.
Page 1 of 4