Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 2:44 AM
Default Why do people look at profiles?
I'm perplexed. I've done it myself, but looking at the sheer numbers, I just don't get it. Why do people check out members' profiles? What do they really learn from them? What are they hoping to learn? Do you check out others' profiles? Do you check out the same person's profile multiple times? Am I adding to my own number when I try to find a thread that I've commented on?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 2:51 AM
The only reason I can think of for it is if there's a lot creator who has a number of creations that I like- in that case, I'd go into their profile so that I can see everything they've uploaded, and get some ideas myself from their entire portfolio... if they had really good ideas, I'll often end up going back to it again. Can't say that I do any "Facebook Stalking" on MTS though...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 3:01 AM
I check (especially Fenton's) to see if they've posted anything new.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 3:48 AM
Voyeuristic reasons.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 4:19 AM
I don't, really. I check once and a while to see if Noubie is online, so I can message. Other than that, it's just to check the "see user's other downloads". Such as tsyokawe. Love your stuff
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 4:21 AM
I check profiles to see if I should say he or she as often profiles say the gender. I also check profiles when people ask for help to see what games they have installed. When I get added as a favourite creator I click on the persons user name and that takes me to their profile, just because I am interested in who is it that added me as a favoured creator. I have also checked under a another creator's profile to see what they have made or if I want to add them to my own favoured creator's list.

In fact I just checked yours VerDeTerre for the first reason and since it says undisclosed I know to use they, but because I am very forgetful I know I will forget and may need to check another time. I'm a bit OCD about that. I dislike saying she then finding out it should have been he.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Typical
#7 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 4:35 AM
I just like to stalk people's downloads to be perfectly honest. Yep, just the downloads.

Scholar
#8 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 5:08 AM
Like Jo, I check to see if I should say she/he/other. I also check where someone lives, for example if we're on a thread discussing the areas we live in, and someone gives an interesting answer. Sometimes if I have got to know someone a little bit, I have a look at their profile because I'm interested to know more about them.

On the other hand, if someone is posting odd things, I have a look at their profile to see if they do it all the time, and what else they have been saying!
Inventor
#9 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 5:52 AM
Well, you can learn a lot from having a look at other people's profile, e.g. what groups the user has joined (you may decide to join the same group, if you like), last posts and/or threads started by that user and favourite downloads (if he/she has marked any downloads as favourites). I often have a look at other people's profiles to see when they joined MTS, when they last logged in and sometimes check older posts/uploads.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 7:00 AM
Uhm... Isn't that the whole point of profiles? So that other people can learn something about the member?

You can get by as a name and perhaps an avatar, but it seems most people nowadays like to say stuff about themselves or their downloads. A profile is a way to do that.

They can also be helpful for site moderators, with recent posts and other things. Bots will often fill in rudimantary forms, but tend to put things that don't belong in a profile in signature fields, or puts up bad links in the "your site" field. It's one of the best ways to figure out if something is a bot if it is of the kind that doesn't post.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#11 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 11:05 AM
I like to check people's profiles for most of the reasons listed above but mostly cos I'm very nosey :P

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Theorist
#12 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 12:28 PM
I use it to triangulate your pixels, then I can enhance your location and deploy the surveillance teams and drones. Also, to look at people's overall participation in threads sometimes, because I can't keep track of who you all are and I'm terrible with names. So sometimes I double check to see if people are the people I think they are.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 12:33 PM
I guess the real question is, have you found yourself yet, Mistermook?

Scholar
#14 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:44 PM
To stalk them and look through their posts.

It's the only reason.
Inventor
#15 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:50 PM Last edited by StupidFlanders : 29th Aug 2014 at 8:41 AM.
I usually check creators profiles if they have anything I like, otherwise I have no idea. my profile is fucking spectacular though.

Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

- poof gone -
Mad Poster
#16 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 10:14 PM
I think it's a socio-psychological issue to want to know someone. Of course, if you ever saw mine, I talk A LOT!

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Theorist
#17 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
I guess the real question is, have you found yourself yet, Mistermook?

I'm nothing more than a Vessel for the Old Ones, VerDeTerre. It's all I've ever wanted to be.
Inventor
#18 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 8:41 AM
Seriously, MTS?

Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

- poof gone -
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#19 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 8:57 AM
Well, I do it because the only way to get into the admincp is through profiles, so I often just grab a random user and click the button in their profile so I can make a new forum or twiddle with announcements.

Also, to ban people.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StupidFlanders
Seriously, MTS?

Is that statement because you think it's a poor number or a large number?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#21 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:13 AM Last edited by StupidFlanders : 29th Aug 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Is that statement because you think it's a poor number or a large number?

It is a rather large number considering that I don't have any uploads on this site or anything.

Quote:

- poof gone -
Inventor
#22 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 10:52 AM
If I like a sim in the sims pictures then I'll look at the persons posts and see if they said anything about what CC they're using.
Or if I know they are a creator but they don't have anything on MTS, I think their profile might have links or they might have posted a link.
Another reason might be if I've seen someone post a few times and it looks like they share a lot of opinions with me then I'll look at what else they've commented on - Just so in future if I see them post I know it'll probably be something I agree with.

The last reason is if someone has a bunch of really horrible opinions (usually a new user), I look to see if it's consistent, if they are an obvious troll or if they are genuinely a horrible person. Just so that in future I know to just skip that persons posts (if they aren't banned.)
Scholar
#23 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StupidFlanders
It is a rather large number considering that I don't have any uploads on this site or anything.

You said it was spectacular, so we all had to have a nosey! ;p
Inventor
#24 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
You said it was spectacular, so we all had to have a nosey! ;p

I just wanted people to notice me.

Quote:

- poof gone -
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 11:58 AM
I'm surprised by the amount of "looks" I've gotten, too and I guess that's what really lead to this question. I was trying to understand why so many people are checking me out. Hopefully, most of them are my friends....

Like many of you, I'll check out a profile to learn someone's gender, where they're from, to see their other creations if they have them, and to check out other posts if I like their ideas or if it's a friend and I want to know what their mood is lately or if I missed something.

Page 1 of 3