Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#101 Old 4th Jan 2011 at 2:11 AM
ah, thanks! Though I think I'll just go with the save file method.

So I'm in the middle of re-texturing the mountains. The grass texture I think is fine, though I may add some different grass for the more heavily forested areas if i find a texture I like. Currently just about all of the map's shale has been replaced with a granite base, with a more detailed granite texture to be layed over it in parts later on.

After that, I think all I need left to do is create the rest of the needed Sims, and create a save file as closely mimicking the starting points of Pleasantview as I can.

Anyone out there REALLY good at recreating sims that may like to assist? I could use some help with... well, just about everybody except the Pleasant Family. I already finished them a while back, and I'm satisfied with them. However, the other sims are rather challenging.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#102 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 8:48 AM
Updates:

-220 Wright Way (a Sims 2 DLC house) finished. All construction in Pleasantview is complete!
-Re-re-did a lot of terrain painting. Shale replaced with granite. Heavily forested areas have darker grass, and open areas feature a mix of light and dark grass.
-fixed a huge glaring error in my routing paint that I forgot to change back when I re-shaped most of the terrain.

Coming up:
-Detailing the granite
-Character creation (I'd still like some help in this department)

Screens to come when the terrain paint is finished.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#103 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 9:45 PM
uh oh. I was about to boot up Create-A-World to take some screenshots, but it appears that I can't open Pleasantview. I attempt to open it and I get an error with the following message:

"Unable to load file. 'C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims
3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\Worlds\Pleasantview.world':
Cannot load a Packed File {0} in The Sims 3 Create A World Tool - Beta"

If I try to open it from Recent items, I get a slightly different error, and CaW closes after hitting OK:

"The Sims 3 Create-A-World Tool - Beta has crashed!
Exception information:
Cannot load a Packed File {0} in The Sims 3 Create A World Tool - Beta"

Yeah, I don't know what to do.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#104 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 11:04 PM
The packed file error indicates a corrupted save- see if you can open the previous backup save.
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 9:37 PM
I recommended having a look at the Tutoirals for CAW for extra polishing.

Experience a truly beautiful and unigue neighbourhoood http://gatescove.weebly.com
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 6:22 AM
Me again, I found all the sims made for pleasantview without the world and it is found at http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.php?topic=4976.0

Experience a truly beautiful and unigue neighbourhoood http://gatescove.weebly.com
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#107 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 6:24 AM
Thanks! I'll have to look into that. Sorry if I'm late in replying, I was in and around this weekend at a battle event in this sport I play called Belegarth (medieval combat, with foam swords), so I had no computer access the whole weekend.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#108 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Baron Obvious
I was in and around this weekend at a battle event in this sport I play called Belegarth (medieval combat, with foam swords), so I had no computer access the whole weekend.

Sounds fun!

Did you manage to get your file open eventually?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#109 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 11:43 PM
Yeah, I just had to open a backup. I just have to redo the detailing on the rock walls. The granite base is still there, I'm adding a detail paint on the rougher areas. Grass underneath thick trees is darker than open grass which is still the basic grass color. Also some grass within the streets of Pleasantview (such as in the small parks) has been given a mowed texture.

As a side thing, I painted all of the ground underneath the water to a dark sand texture, mostly because I felt like it. I noticed in more recent versions of CaW, disabling fog also clears the dark blue in the water, when it didn't before. At first I thought my world was glitched or something. Though now its rather useful for seeing under the surface for painting or flattening terrain that isn't going to be seen.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 12:36 AM
Baron, The sand texture is actually required now because on low level reflections and shadows show the bottom of the ocean o0n custom world.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#111 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 9:45 PM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 13th Jan 2011 at 9:57 PM.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#112 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 11:23 PM
The world is really looking great! It's very familiar, too.

On this image:
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/...reenshot3ps.jpg
What are the spawners around the lake? They look like the water type designators, if so then you don't need that many, just one should designate your lake freshwater.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 12:31 AM
Looking at the terrain, its good although its need more almost smoothing and merging of terrain paintings. So mainly polish

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#114 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 12:46 AM
Ah, thanks! I was sitting around thinking the designators only cover what's immediately in that circle around them. So I'm assuming I should only need one salt water designator, too? Because I had several lined around the beach.

And I'm glad it feels familiar, that's what I'm going for! All the returning lots are placed accurately, and even the trees in the valley floor are placed to resemble the original. My goal is to make it familiar, yet new. Of course there's now going to be a lot more to do in Pleasantview than there was in the original, but I'm trying to maintain that Pleasantview feel, rather than let the new content overshadow it.

I'll work on the terrain paint more. But when I try to get the paints to fade into eachother, it usually ends up more like one has to get erased, or something, and it looks terrible. There's probably some technique I'm not using that I should be totally in the know for good terrain painting. I'll be first to admit that I'm not a great terrain painter.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#115 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 1:51 AM
The water defaults to salt water, so you don't need to designate the sea areas.

As far as I know the designators do only affect the area in the circle (at least, judging by how the EA worlds are), but the image I linked appears to have four designators placed on the cliff. You would just need one in the centre of the lake, as the designator covers the lake adequately.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#116 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 4:29 AM
Yeah, but for some reason it won't let me place the indicator ON the lot, it stops right at the edge of the lot and won't go in.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#117 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 3:35 PM
Ah, if that is a lot then just delete those neighbourhood water designators and place a lot based one from the buydebug spawners catalog. You can't place neighbourhood/ world objects on a lot because the world sees the lot as essentially being a 'null' area- i.e., it's not there!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#118 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 8:03 PM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 14th Jan 2011 at 8:36 PM.
Ah, okay. Haha, I'm learning a lot from you! Now how do I access that catalog? Nevermind, found out with a little googling.

Edit: How many spawners or designators do I need for a lot?
Do I need one per lot? One per body of water? Or as many as I should need around the edge of a body of water to cover any spot a Sim might start fishing on?
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 3:31 AM
Home Lots: Pritty Much is they want to fish just add the required spawners if they want to fish,
Sea use the fish spawners along the edge and then a salt water once a while or each fishing spot and use. Do the Same for Lakes

I have my world which could be used a good example world for viewing its called Gates Cove (HPWIP) found in creator objects

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#120 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 2:02 PM
The water designators have a radius indicated by the white outline, so you should be able to see the area they affect from that.

Quote: Originally posted by Rileyjcquinn
use the fish spawners along the edge and then a salt water once a while or each fishing spot and use. Do the Same for Lakes

Don't forget that the water in the world will default to salt water unless a fresh water designator is placed.
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 9:19 PM
yes My Mistake,

Lab Assistant
#122 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:43 PM
Hey how is this project going? Can i just say your create a world skills are amazing!!! ive never seen a pleasantview remake look so detailed/polished(terrain paints etc.) Hope your carrying on , cant wait for the release!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#123 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 6:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

There hasn't been any work done on this in a while, actually. I haven't dropped the project, I just haven't had the time to get back to it. I go to school for graphic design, and I help run a local Belegarth (medieval fighting) group. I'll be finishing up school in a few weeks though, so maybe then I'll have time to work on the project, if I don't find a job soon. I can't make any guarantees though. Rest assured, this project WILL eventually be released, even if it takes on a sort of Duke Nukem Forever status.

Hm... Pleasantview Forever.

I think I like that title.
... Don't read into that, I just think its a neat name.
Field Researcher
#124 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 8:28 AM
So that is the beta name of the download? :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#125 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 9:07 AM
Maaaybe...
Locked thread
Page 5 of 8