Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 11:23 AM
Default Mods!
I would like to see a Top 5 mods that is for The sims 3.

Now, i have played for some time and i am starting to experince some weird lags, the time stops, i can to anything but the sim's blob keeps spinning :S

Help, and please give a list of good mods
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 2:11 PM
I've been having that weird lagging problem, time stops along with everything but things like the plumbob spinning and trees moving, first time it happened was just after installing pets and my adult sim was watering her plants, the water carried on coming out of the can but everything else stopped. My favourite family (with a huge save file) is now pretty much unplayable as it just freezes every few seconds. Wish i knew what was causing it cos none of my other saves are as big and some of them are also affected.
Theorist
#3 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 2:53 PM
-Awesomemod
-Twallan's MC
-Awesomemod
-Overwatch
-Awesomemod
Instructor
#4 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Missy_J
I've been having that weird lagging problem, time stops along with everything but things like the plumbob spinning and trees moving, first time it happened was just after installing pets and my adult sim was watering her plants, the water carried on coming out of the can but everything else stopped. My favourite family (with a huge save file) is now pretty much unplayable as it just freezes every few seconds.

Hrm, I've also been having a similar problem after installing pets. Every 30 seconds or so, the game would freeze and lag for a while. I think it might have something to do with the wild animal spawns D:

♥ ❤ ❥ Tumblr (which I never update) ♥ ❤ ❥
My Blog
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misanthrope
Hrm, I've also been having a similar problem after installing pets. Every 30 seconds or so, the game would freeze and lag for a while. I think it might have something to do with the wild animal spawns D:

yes, it might be the cause in your case, just like mine... I installed twallan's register mod, and my issue is solved

Hope, it is the only thing stronger than fear. A little hope is effective, alot of hope is dangerous.- President Snow
Test Subject
#6 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 3:14 PM
The wild animal spawns could well be the case for that huge game i have, they live on the lot next to the waterfall in sunset valley now so there is quite a lot of horses and stuff wandering around nearby, not sure about other saves i've had that issue with, it seems to vary from day to day on whether it happens at all or how frequently. Think i'll go have a look into register mod, thanx.
Scholar
#7 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 4:36 PM
I'd have to say

1. AwesomeMod and Twallan's mod suite (story controller, master controller and error trap) - They tie for equal bidding because like I said before, they can do the same things and it's a matter of personal taste as to which one is better. And even better -- you CAN choose both and they don't conflict. I consider the game to be unplayable without at least one of these installed.

2. bluegenjitsu has a mod that makes townies able to autonomously flirt with each other and your sim. This adds so much to the game. I knew what I was downloading but I was still got a little thrill seeing an NPC sim start making the moves on my sim on his own for the first time. Also very neat when once I sent my family to visit some married NPCs and catch them flirting and making out in the next room.

3. Twallan's dresser mod. I'm not counting it with the suite because it has a separate function. This keeps your townies looking relatively well dressed. You can stop seeing NPCs wearing things you only meant for one sim to wear. Goodbye to the random sim wandering around with the Pope hat, the coconut bra, the santa claus pants, ballet shoes and pimp cane.

I'll add two more latter. I'm thinking about a sim wearing all the stuff I described.. sorry.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 4:53 PM
Other than the ones mentioned, I can't live without Twallan's Relativity. Even going back to my Sims 2 days, it always bugged me how fast time passed. There wasn't enough time in the day to do what I wanted to do (or thought should be done). In Sims 3, you don't even have enough time to use the toilet, shower and eat breakfast before work, unless you wake up at 4:00 in the morning. It's ridiculous.

I've tried playing the game on standard speed numerous times, but every time I do so I get frustrated. If it weren't for Relativity, I probably wouldn't play at all.
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 5:03 PM
I forgot about Relativity. I take that for granted. I refused to download it for a long time, because I thought it was cheaty. But after feeling like my sims were living in drudgery just working , eating and sleeping, and thinking about how TS2 sims really did get more than 24 hours in a day and could use that time for pure socialization if they wanted to, I decided to give my TS3 sims the equivalent of a few extra hours per day. I have never regretted it. The game became much more fun and relaxing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 5:40 PM
Oh god...
I installed them mods that was intended to fix errors and clean up..
Still those GOD DAMN LAGS that destroy the whole experince...
I will uninstall all Sims 3 now and probably just play sims 2...
Thanks for the tips anyway.
Instructor
#11 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 11:02 PM
Try the 50% method. Remove half your mods and test the game, If it runs well, those mods are good. Then insert the next half in and if it lags, remove half of those. Repeat until you find your bad mods.

It sounds like you have a corrupted mod. If you get an outdated mod (per new updates and expansions) and use it then it'll almost break your game. I had something like this effecting my game until I removed some old CC that was messed up. Also, make sure the game is fully patched and up to date. Lastly, don't forget to clear the .cache files in the "My Docs" folder.

Those mods people are recommending are fantastic, btw.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Majuchan
yes, it might be the cause in your case, just like mine... I installed twallan's register mod, and my issue is solved

I agree...the animal control in that one really turned my game around.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by James009
Try the 50% method. Remove half your mods and test the game, If it runs well, those mods are good. Then insert the next half in and if it lags, remove half of those. Repeat until you find your bad mods.

It sounds like you have a corrupted mod. If you get an outdated mod (per new updates and expansions) and use it then it'll almost break your game. I had something like this effecting my game until I removed some old CC that was messed up. Also, make sure the game is fully patched and up to date. Lastly, don't forget to clear the .cache files in the "My Docs" folder.

Those mods people are recommending are fantastic, btw.

Well the thing is that i had this problem before i came here with mods request.
But its getting worse and worse the longer i play on that family.
If i make a new town etc the lags are totally gone in beginning.
But, i havent uninstalled YET, so i may try to erease all mods
Instructor
#14 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:07 AM
Twallan's Woohooer
Twallan's Story Progression
Twallan's Master Controller
Twallan's Relativity
Twallen's Register

if you can't already tell I love twallan's mods
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 2:05 AM
I can't live without Relativity, if I had to have one mod. And the other four, pretty much every Twallan mod mentioned above. That man(? human being) is amazing, and I don't think I could play my game enjoyably without Nraas creations
Theorist
#16 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 3:50 AM
Who disagreed with awesomemod? It's really awesome. I can't play without it. If you have problems with it it's usually PEBKAC.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 3:55 AM Last edited by kiatyn : 8th Feb 2012 at 4:07 AM.
I disagreed with you -- because I prefer Twallan's mods and story progression, and that's because I don't like having a mod tell me I can't play my game until I update the mod just about every week because I need to check in "for my game's own good."

Now, don't get me wrong, I liked awesomemod -- in fact, I used it exclusively until I got fed up with that one behavior.

Anyway, to each his-or her- own I am glad there are both of them out there for us to use.
Theorist
#18 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 3:58 AM Last edited by treeag : 8th Feb 2012 at 4:56 AM.
Except I listed Twallan's mods too. Although it's awesomemod that's essential to me. The other mods I can do without (even my own!) but not that one lol

As for the update behavior, I actually like it because if it doesn't remind me chances are I would be running the game with outdated mods. I actually wish every mod would do that.

And for the "update for your game's own good" remark, I edited that out but I see you responded to it so I'm gonna give my opinion on it. It is really for the game's own good. Sometimes they discover new bugs so they need to update the mod to fix that bugs they've just discovered and I personally would gladly update my mod to have the fix. It's like patches. Who knows, maybe the bug is game-breaking. Why wait until EA release a new patch/EP to update mods?

But yeah. There are choices
Mad Poster
#19 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 5:24 AM
Lag can be caused by many things. Too many Sims for example. If you are using SP and you have either Twalllan or awesome, then both have the option to put a top-number on how big your town can be.

You should also download the mod that lets you decide what memories your Sims get, instead of them getting a memory every time they change lots. That helped me with lag, and save times.

My top five would be
- awesome
- twallan's traveller
- my shopping mod
- the memory manager mod
- harder bills
Field Researcher
#20 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 9:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by treeag
Except I listed Twallan's mods too. Although it's awesomemod that's essential to me. The other mods I can do without (even my own!) but not that one lol

As for the update behavior, I actually like it because if it doesn't remind me chances are I would be running the game with outdated mods. I actually wish every mod would do that.

And for the "update for your game's own good" remark, I edited that out but I see you responded to it so I'm gonna give my opinion on it. It is really for the game's own good. Sometimes they discover new bugs so they need to update the mod to fix that bugs they've just discovered and I personally would gladly update my mod to have the fix. It's like patches. Who knows, maybe the bug is game-breaking. Why wait until EA release a new patch/EP to update mods?

But yeah. There are choices

Firstly, let me state right off that I don't mind having to update. I mind having my game not work til it does update. And, when I was using awesomemod, it would arbitrarily decide that once a week I had to update, even if no updates were needed. Also, I didn't like having to wait to play my game until the update was released at some undetermined time.

It was frustrating because I don't have a lot of free time to play games, and having that taken out of my control was not acceptable under any circumstances-even if it was "good for my game."

Secondly, that phrase has the implication that I do not know (or am not capable of knowing) when to update my game. That is, at the very least, patronizing. I repeated it in my post because, frankly, it bugged me.

Regardless, I think we can agree to disagree, and be glad that there are choices, as you stated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 11:18 AM
Well, i give up..
Have tested many mods now and started new towns...
After i get a bit into the game and story, these god dam lags starts.

I have
i5 3.33GHz
16Gb DDR3 RAM
3GB GTX 580
So it is NOT my computer. Never in hell.
It is EA who has a crappy game thats it
Instructor
#22 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 11:33 AM
Video cards and the game both updated? From the looks of things The Sims 3 should be running smooth as butter unless something is just downright broke. Do you have any files in "DCCache" or "DCBackup"?

Can you use the Twallen Mastercontroller and give us the size of your town by doing "Mastercontroller/Town/Demographics/Population"? You might want to set a population limit to something like 80.

Is 80 a good town population? What is an acceptable population size people?

Otherwise, its gotta be a bad download or the memory overload (though that should take a while).

Also, what is the size of these savegames? Out of curiosity. Lastly, make sure you delete the .cache files every time you change things with mods.
Theorist
#23 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiatyn
Secondly, that phrase has the implication that I do not know (or am not capable of knowing) when to update my game. That is, at the very least, patronizing. I repeated it in my post because, frankly, it bugged me.

I agree to disagree, but I just want to address one point.

It's not that you don't know when to update your game, but you do not know whether there's a game breaking bug currently running in your game or not. And whether it needs urgent fixing or not. Because unless you're a programmer yourself and you completely understand how the game runs, you wouldn't know such a thing until it starts showing symptoms. That's why I rely on modders who are programmers like Pes or Twallan because I'm not a programmer and I'm pretty sure most people who play this game aren't, as well.
Test Subject
#24 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 1:10 PM
Awesomemod, Twallan's Error Trap and Twallan's MC
Twallan's Traveller
Buzzler's Moar Interactions

My game couldn't run without the first three just in terms of avoiding save corruption, Traveller's just super-fun and Moar Interactions works really nicely with Awesomestory because it makes it way easier for Sims to autonomously build (or ruin) relationships.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 1:12 PM
Okay... I am probably so stupid so i actually think it may work...
But however...
I sadly have Swedish version of The sims 3, and thereafter my MasterController gets in translated BAD sweden to, but ill try to find the population limiter.

Well, i dont care to much about population as long i can play and see sims on public lots.
My size of savegame: 28,9 MB

I will try to delete those files, but where can i find them?
Page 1 of 3