Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 8:57 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default University: Built my own dorm, problems once sims move in
I'm not sure exactly how to describe the problem I'm having with proper terminology, so perhaps this kind of question has already answered and I just don't know how to look for it. Apologies if this problem has been solved before.

I built my own dormitory in Academie le Tour, and I'm pretty certain I followed the correct steps in making it function properly. Started with a residential lot, built on it, included the right stove, sprinkler, 4 island counters, dishwasher/sink, the right doors for the rooms, and then the cheat code. The game recognized the building as a dorm just fine, and I was able to move sims in okay, but then when the sims aged into young adults on the lot (they were moved in as teenagers from the main neighbourhood), the various menus that should have appeared on-screen never did. Time passes just fine, and if I left-click on the sims I can get them to do stuff, but I can't speed/pause, go up/down levels, or leave the lot.

This is a screenshot http://puu.sh/lATAu/656e87b56f.jpg I'm not in camera-mode or anything, notice all the menus are missing. Sim thumbnails, aspiration, motives, everything is missing. I can't save or quit, I have to shut the game down in task manager.

http://puu.sh/lATGg/12caa8003f.jpg here's my kitchen, so you can see what I've got. No cafeteria lady or other dormies I might add.
I would get a snapshot of the dorms but I can't go up a level.

I'd very much appreciate if anyone could help me out
Thanks!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 10:08 PM
Do you have dorm doors on the students bedrooms?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 12:28 AM
The old No User Interface glitch. The last time I had that happen I pressed keys on the keyboard until the UI came back. I suggest you start with Escape and work your way across. I don't remember which one did the job.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Theorist
#4 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 1:45 AM
Tab should bring it up.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 1:51 AM
It's more than a TAB issue, the OP doesn't have any dormies or cafeteria person.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 3:45 AM
You bought all furniture when it was residental lot. Try remove all furniture and rebuy everything for DORM.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 4:13 AM
That should not make a difference. The change zoning cheat should be the last step after the dorm is finished.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 7:35 AM
I am guessing that it is a mod conflict or other cc problem, but I tend to think mod. Have you tried to play the dorm without any cc?
Last time I had menu options missing (not the whole menu, just some options) - it was due to not having the EP smarter check - which is needed for some of Boiling Oil's mods to work properly.
Every time I have a problem it comes down to a mod (except once, when it was a kitchen counter).
I have never had problems with dorms that I built myself, so I do not think the problem lies there.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 8:08 AM
The OP still hasn't said if they used dorm doors or not, that would stop students turning up to take a room, although I don't think it should stop the cafeteria worker.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The OP still hasn't said if they used dorm doors or not, that would stop students turning up to take a room, although I don't think it should stop the cafeteria worker.

They said they did - or implied it anyway - in their original post.

I've no idea why this is happening. I agree it might be a mod or maybe just a wonky dorm. Maybe try another dorm and check things are working normally?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 10:10 PM
Op, does a maxis dorm work?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 8:41 AM
Good question, Jo.
I do not think it is the building, though. I have made plenty of mistakes when building dorms (the cafeteria worker still shows up with the stove/fridge, but might not know what to do if the counters are wrong, for instance - but he/she is still there, in the kitchen!
Then the menus should show up (if the doors are wrong, students only can't claim it, they can still sit on a sofa or turn on a radio, etc). I have done that too. In fact, I once accidentally put the swinging doors in the dorm. The menus still worked and the cafeteria worker still showed up (I had one in the lot bin, could fix the doors and move the students out and in again).
I still think mod. Mod conflict, mod not updated for AL, something in that line.