Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 5:20 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Windows 10 - Black Box/Flickering
Hi, a few days ago my computer of four years began dying. It was a thinkpad Lenovo, with Windows 7. It ran all the games beautifully, even ultimate collection. Once my computer died, I explained to an associate at Staples that I needed a new laptop that could play the sims 2. So they suggested a Toshiba satelite. I came home and installed, and suddenly experience black boxes and flickering in lots and households. Much like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve4uo_ox4w8 I tried the basic fixes, editng settings etc. but both were grayed out. So I returned the computer and bought an HP from best buy. I showed the guy at Best Buy my older games (double deluxe as an example and the movies) he assured me a computer with core i3 would be better. So I took it home and the same thing happened again, still windows 10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcVBh3v1rEo Also with the black boxes. So I went back an returned it again, although this time he told me there was no way the last one would play my games, that I needed a gaming computer. So on a promo laptop, I spent around 900 on a computer with intel graphics and NVIDIA gefroce gtx. I tried both of these, http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-2...-8/td-p/2816252 and http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-2.../3185068/page/3 neither worked and one gave me an error message. I have also tried in compatibility, when I do that the whole thing has flickering lines.

Will this game ever work the way it did on my thinkpad laptop? There has to be a laptop out there or a fix that can play my game correctly.
Note: i have intel core i7 on this one this is a lenovo
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 8:41 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 30th Nov 2015 at 8:46 AM. Reason: add something
There are players playing Sims 2 on Windows 8 and I play on Windows 10. You have a fantastic processor, so I think you just need a graphic fix (Nvidia cards normally need those) - probably a texture fix too. Head over to Leefish here : http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

Read carefully through the thing - I am sure there might be a file for you to download there.

On Windows 10, I also play the game in compatibility mode for Windows 8; and then you also need to make sure that you have a graphic card driver that is compatible with Windows 10 (since it is new, one would assume the last one should be in place.

I have played on Windows 10 for quite some time and a number of my last lots I have uploaded has been built using Windows 10. The actual graphic fix program, by the way, did not solve my problem, only the nvidia texture fix did.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 11:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
There are players playing Sims 2 on Windows 8 and I play on Windows 10. You have a fantastic processor, so I think you just need a graphic fix (Nvidia cards normally need those) - probably a texture fix too. Head over to Leefish here : http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

...{snip}...

I have played on Windows 10 for quite some time and a number of my last lots I have uploaded has been built using Windows 10. The actual graphic fix program, by the way, did not solve my problem, only the nvidia texture fix did.

I play on Win10 with Nvidia myself, but I have not 'played' Sims 2 since installing it, but I have modded items, and built structures since installing win10.

The link @Justpetro provided is extremely useful, but you do need to spend time reading it entirely. There are two threads you need to pay attention too ; non-win10 page (first page only) because it addresses many other issues, and the win10 thread for the graphic fixes.

I personally could not get Graphics Rule Maker to 'edit' the files correctly. Not sure why, but I COULD get the information from my graphics card for the line required to 'add' to the DB. There are three tabs listed after Settings. Carefully review the settings of each, and in Video Cards.sgr Preview, find your device listed at the END of the Nvidia list. It may be somewhere after card 0x1b1d "Riva 128" . Manually edit your Video Cards.sgr.

One final bit of advice, check out this thread from Leefish . There may be some useful information there as well. Win10 is mildly fickle in some cases, especially when it comes to older technology. Hope this helps.

EDIT : As an after thought, I forgot to mention, don't forget to edit BOTH the Video Cards.sgr files found in Config and the CSConfig directories in your latest EP/SP.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySilverwolf
I play on Win10 with Nvidia myself, but I have not 'played' Sims 2 since installing it, but I have modded items, and built structures since installing win10.

The link @Justpetro provided is extremely useful, but you do need to spend time reading it entirely. There are two threads you need to pay attention too ; non-win10 page (first page only) because it addresses many other issues, and the win10 thread for the graphic fixes.

I personally could not get Graphics Rule Maker to 'edit' the files correctly. Not sure why, but I COULD get the information from my graphics card for the line required to 'add' to the DB. There are three tabs listed after Settings. Carefully review the settings of each, and in Video Cards.sgr Preview, find your device listed at the END of the Nvidia list. It may be somewhere after card 0x1b1d "Riva 128" . Manually edit your Video Cards.sgr.

One final bit of advice, check out this thread from Leefish . There may be some useful information there as well. Win10 is mildly fickle in some cases, especially when it comes to older technology. Hope this helps.

EDIT : As an after thought, I forgot to mention, don't forget to edit BOTH the Video Cards.sgr files found in Config and the CSConfig directories in your latest EP/SP.

I unfortunately have no way of choosing which compatibility I'm playing in. And I've looked at all the fixes I just have no idea what I'm doing. I'm nineteen so I'm not really knowing what any of the editing means, it all just sounds like gibberish to me. And I'm not making sense of anything I'm finding.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 4:49 AM
I have posted a guide in the common threads - if you need more help