Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 11:04 PM
Default Build DXT not updating image
This has been plaguing me for the last few weeks now. My Build DXT tool doesn't want to work. The option *is not* greyed out, so I do have it installed. I just tried reinstalling it and that didn't help.

When I right-click Build DXT, it brings up the option box and lets me pick my options and then when I hit Build, the image doesn't change. This doesn't happen all the time, but it's getting to be about 70% of the time. For a while restarting my computer seemed to help, but then it didn't. I don't know what's going on. All the textures I'm using are straight from the game so they are all properly sized.

Attached is the current file that's misbehaving. I was able to get the texture that is in there only by DDSing and I think I forgot to update the sizes, but the quality is terrible. Any ideas?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Phaenoh_SmallhouseModels_Bedroom-Bedding-Grey.rar (574.7 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 11:29 PM
This is still happening intermittently, any ideas?
Scholar
#3 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 7:08 AM
I was getting that problem and it turned out my image, which I could have sworn was the right size, was off by a pixel or two in one dimension.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 7:45 AM
Yeah, I initially thought that too, but all of my images have been first exported from SimPE, so they are all the right size. It sometimes seems to help when I have less things open (like closing down photoshop and milkshape), but that doesn't always matter. I tried it with nothing open right after rebooting my computer and it still didn't work, then 20 minutes later it did, for no reason I can determine. It's weird.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 12:45 PM
Do you still get the little cmd window popping up to show the process?
Could your antivirus or Windows security settings be preventing the DXT executable from running?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 4:57 PM
Yeah, I do get that and when it doesn't work it goes away really fast, not fast enough for the thing to actually process it.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 12:31 AM
So it seems to be that when I launch SimPE first and then load the file Build DXT works, but if I open the file directly from the taskbar pinned quick launch 'recently opened' things it doesn't work. Strange, but good to know what triggers it at least.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 2:33 AM Last edited by deathBYflies : 29th Jul 2015 at 5:18 AM.
Hi

Your post has struck a chord with me as I was getting weird DXT behaviour too.

Ed: I'm on a Mac and running XP on a virtual drive, just for SimPE. A recent virus scan quarantined a number of Windows items judged to be potentially malicious which I naturally trashed. I just re-installed the latest build of SimPE and everything is back to normal, so I may have unwittingly trashed a component of SimPE after the virus scan.